• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

King me; a free agent story

Kushinator

I'm not-low all the time
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
As of midnight this morning (eastern time), the NBA free agency period has officially began. From July 1st to July 8th, teams are now allowed to negotiate with both restricted and unrestricted free agents. On midnight July 8th, teams will then be able to sign players to contracts. On midnight July 8th, the NBA might be turned upside down (in the east anyway). The greatest prize in the history of NBA free agency is rumored to be heading out of Cleveland, his home town, or is he? Oh yeah, there are also consolation prizes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nba_g_lebron_wade_576.jpg

Lebron James: Undoubtedly the youngest, most talented player since Michael Jordan is holding court in Ohio to hear pitches from a select few teams with the cap space to sign him. This is a disastrous blow to both New York and the Los Angeles Clippers, who were hoping to "woo" him with the glitz and glamor that each respective city is known for. Which gives a team like Chicago a great advantage. Not only do the Bulls have nearly enough cap space to sign two maximum free agents, they won't have to gut their roster via sign and trade. They are a young playoff team led by 22 year old Derrick Rose, and 24 year old Joakim Noah. Besides, Cleveland will not comply with a sign and trade (who blames them). Being known for the team that traded Lebron James will haunt them for an entire generation.

Teams most likely to sign James: Chicago, Cleveland, Miami, New Jersey, New York

Dwayne Wade: Just a notch below Lebron in terms of talent, Wade is expected to resign with Miami as he has been dropping hints since his teams playoff elimination. Originally from the Oak Lawn area (south west Chicago suburb), he was rumored to be interested in signing with Chicago. Those rumors were squashed when he made the comment, "Chicago is not known for loyalty, for taking care of their great players. Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen are not even involved with the organization, so that says something to me about loyalty". With that said, he is expected to resign with Miami, who (barring a trade of Michael Beasley, the no. 2 pick in the NBA draft in 2008) have enough cap space to sign Wade and two other max FA's. Would a team with Wade, Bosh, and Bron be able to coexist?

Most likely to sign Wade: Miami

Chris Bosh: The 6'10" 230lb Bosh has a developed inside and outside game, along with good rebound and passing skills. Not the defensive player Bron and Wade are; though he is the best big man in the FA class. Chris Bosh is unlikely to resign with Toronto, who have not made the playoffs the last two years. Early rumors pointed Bosh to "go where Lebron goes". While it is likely, he has made it known that he won't be taking less money to play next to anyone. There are various sign and trade rumors, the most being from Houston and Dallas (in his home state). Most rumors have him leaning towards Miami, although Chicago is still a strong possibility.

Most likely to sign Bosh: Miami, Chicago, Dallas (sign and trade), New York

Dirk Nowitzki: The 7' German forward/center has played his entire career in Dallas, and it is expected to resign. The reason Dirk has opted out is to get a new contract before a new collective bargaining agreement is reached, which is rumored to restructure maximum salaries with less years and a lower price tag.

Most likely to sign Dirk: Dallas, Cleveland (there are sign and trade rumors involving Lebron)

David Lee: Most NBA inner circles would be surprised with Lee being so high on my list. He had a stellar season in a contract year while playing in coach Mike D'Antoni's fast pace system. The only real knock on Lee is his defense. Strong rebounder, good passer, and a new mid range game make Lee an attractive player for teams lacking such a post presence. Teams interested will depend on where the big three land.

Most likely to sign Lee: any team with cap space that misses out on Bosh

Amare Stoudemire: Would have been higher on my list if not for issues regarding a history of knee problems and eyesight. Amare has owned the paint for the last 6 years, and now developed a mid range game as well. Expected to be pursued by Miami (in his home state), he lacks the low post defensive skills that would have made him a hotter commodity than Bosh. If Miami does not sign Bosh, they will go all out on Amare.

Most likely to sign: Phoenix, Miami, New York, New Jersey, Chicago

Carlos Boozer: The ex Duke power forward is a great rebounder, solid low post scorer (and efficient), yet like the rest of the top tier PF's in this ears FA class, has suspect defense. Due to Utah being over the cap, resigning Boozer will put them in the luxury tax threshold (something Utah is not fond of). They also have his replacement (Paul Millsap) at a much cheaper rate. Almost a sure thing to leave Utah.

Most likely to sign: New York, Miami, Chicago, New Jersey

Joe Johnson: Great scorer, ball handler, defender, passer who possesses exceptional length. His only knock is his ability to score in clutch situations (something Jamal Crawford helped alleviate). Has great range on his jumper (shot 48% from 3pt territory a few years ago while taking 370 attempts), which will be attractive to teams who have premier point guards ala Derrick Rose and Devin Harris. Is rumored to be interested in New York.

Most Likely to sign: New York, Chicago, New Jersey

Paul Peirce: Great all around player who has excellent range, and can force teams into foul trouble with his crafty jumper. Led Boston to an NBA title a few years ago, and is still expected to sign (he is likely opting out to get a new contract before the new CBA). Of all the players, is most likely to return to his current team. There are rumors of course that have him interested in signing with LA (Clippers) as it is in his home state, as they are in need of a perennial all star SF.

Most likely to sign: Boston, LAC

Last edited:
All this talk over a guy who has as many NBA world champion rings as I do.

I can honestly say I'd rather be at the theater watching the new Twilight movie at 12:01 than wondering what LeBron is doing...and that's saying a lot. Part of me would rather taste a bullet than be sitting in front of some vampire chick flick.

LeBron's lead destination now is Newark. That Russian playboy and Jay-Z's vow to make him a "worldwide billionaire" is a stronger pull than any stacked deck in talent that would allow James to have prohibitive favoritism to win it all.

Calling him the "greatest player since Jordan" makes me want to throw up.

Whoever gets King James, I hope their pocket books can absorb the high price tag. That team's roster will likely be in chaos for the next 4-5 years.

There are only a handful of teams with a realistic chance of getting him, all with the cap space. It's actually a good investment from an owner point of view, since his revenue-creating ability is massive. In the few years since Cleveland drafted him, the anticipated market value of the team has more than doubled. You pay him 17 mil a year and gain that back just in ticket sales, not to mention the marketing cash coming your way. It's not about talent; it's about how much money he can bring in. Personally, if it was strictly based on basketball skill, he's barely a max contract player in my book. However, you can see his ability to market whatever city he's about to go to just by watching SportsCenter and seeing all these people and entire cities embarassing themselves just so he'll go there.

his salary is only beer money
james will go to whichever team can offer him the best endorsement prospects

NHL free agency is more interesting. :2wave:

NHL free agency is more interesting. :2wave:

And is starting today as well. That was what struck me when I saw this thread, both free agency periods starting today. Though to be honest, not a great free agent market for hockey.

How many championships did MJ have when he was 26?

I can honestly say I'd rather be at the theater watching the new Twilight movie at 12:01 than wondering what LeBron is doing...and that's saying a lot. Part of me would rather taste a bullet than be sitting in front of some vampire chick flick.

If you are not a fan of professional basketball, i am not the least bit surprised.

LeBron's lead destination now is Newark. That Russian playboy and Jay-Z's vow to make him a "worldwide billionaire" is a stronger pull than any stacked deck in talent that would allow James to have prohibitive favoritism to win it all.

Nope! A plethora of league sources continue to state that Chicago is still his preference, and he has made it a point that "winning is the most important thing".

Chad Ford recently stated (as of a few minutes ago):
If I were you, I'd read some significance into the Bulls and Cavs getting the last pitch. Multiple sources continue to believe that LeBron is still leaning toward Chicago and Cleveland at the moment.

To each their own i guess. :shrug:

Personally, if it was strictly based on basketball skill, he's barely a max contract player in my book. However, you can see his ability to market whatever city he's about to go to just by watching SportsCenter and seeing all these people and entire cities embarassing themselves just so he'll go there.

If thats the case, your book is not worth the paper its printed on.

his salary is only beer money
james will go to whichever team can offer him the best endorsement prospects

He will go to whatever team he believes gives him the greatest chance to win multiple NBA championships.

A team with the greatest chance to win multiple NBA championships wouldn't have LeBron on it.

A team with the greatest chance to win multiple NBA championships wouldn't have LeBron on it.

Uh huh.... Anything else from the peanut gallery?

Whoever gets King James, I hope their pocket books can absorb the high price tag. That team's roster will likely be in chaos for the next 4-5 years.

I hope he is gonna roll with New Yawk:) Jay-Z doing his best to make that happen.

I feel you about the greatest player since Jordan. He is way over rated but I admit cannot wait to see what he decides:)

It would be cool if him and Wade end up in Miami.

Last edited:
tell us what team that will be

The Bulls baby! THey are a playoff team without Lebron, and the core players are all 26 and under.

Kali said:
It would be cool if him and Wade end up in Miami.

That was a frontrunner for a while, until Bosh stated that he didn't see all three (him, James, Wade) all there. It seemed to be ego, insofar that Bosh doesn't mind being a second fiddle, but not a third.

Chicago would be the dumbest move for him to make. He's already freezing cold in that shadow of Jordan, and the thought of him going to "the house that Michael built" will put expectations on him he has absolutely no chance of filling. He's already trying to be Jordan in every aspect (everything from wearing 23 to that powder throw)...even down to the arrogance of changing your number to 6, which is also a sacred number to Jordan. After all, how many titles and MVP rings does Jordan have? Oh yeah. Six.

His delusions of grandeur will ultimately cause him to fade into history as "an above-average player who couldn't get it done in crunch time".

LOL! You really are clueless when it comes to professional basketball.

Something big is brewing; that's all i can say as of right now ;)

That was a frontrunner for a while, until Bosh stated that he didn't see all three (him, James, Wade) all there. It seemed to be ego, insofar that Bosh doesn't mind being a second fiddle, but not a third.

Chicago would be the dumbest move for him to make. He's already freezing cold in that shadow of Jordan, and the thought of him going to "the house that Michael built" will put expectations on him he has absolutely no chance of filling. He's already trying to be Jordan in every aspect (everything from wearing 23 to that powder throw)...even down to the arrogance of changing your number to 6, which is also a sacred number to Jordan. After all, how many titles and MVP rings does Jordan have? Oh yeah. Six.

His delusions of grandeur will ultimately cause him to fade into history as "an above-average player who couldn't get it done in crunch time".

Some that worship in the House of James will never admit he is not all that. Sure the man has talent but he damn sure is no Jordan!

LOL! You really are clueless when it comes to professional basketball.

Something big is brewing; that's all i can say as of right now ;)

Stop holding out and tell us if you got something to say. Tease:)

Stop holding out and tell us if you got something to say. Tease:)

Can't do it. All i can say is it is a potential blockbuster of the most epic proportions; unless of course James decides to stay in Cleveland. Then, the entire free agency shifts in another direction.

BTW: I am the biggest Bulls fan, and Michael Jordan fan there is. The closest thing to Michael is Bron.

Can't do it. All i can say is it is a potential blockbuster of the most epic proportions; unless of course James decides to stay in Cleveland. Then, the entire free agency shifts in another direction.

BTW: I am the biggest Bulls fan, and Michael Jordan fan there is. The closest thing to Michael is Bron.

Does your work involve sports? Anyways if you cannot spill then chill till you have something real to tell us.

Hey that would make a nice rap what I said about.

Anyways: I do not think it is even right to compare the two. Just like I try to refrain from comparing folks to David Thompson. He was the best but let drugs and other ills ruin what could have been an ever better career than Jordans. But that is a whole other thread.

BTW, David Thompson was way before my time but I love the history behind the NBA and ok. My Dad was a HUGE David Thompson fan. lol

Last edited:
That dude from the Soup? He said it is time for James to pick a team: Team Edward or Team Jacob

I was cracking up.. But.. Then I got to thinking maybe if we did know which team James is on? We could figure out who is gonna roll with. Then I thought to myself "you suck for even putting thought into this!"
lol.. lol..

Back
Top Bottom