• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kindergartners in WA state to be taught 'transgenderism'

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Beginning as young as kindergarten, public school students in the state of Washington will be taught about “transgenderism” effective in the fall 2017 semester.

New LGBT-friendly changes to the Evergreen State’s health education learning standards have been applied so that instruction on “gender expression” will be mandatory for teachers to administer in their classrooms to students,according to the Daily Caller.
GOPUSA ? Kindergartners in WA state to be taught 'transgenderism'

Who is surprised by this? Anyone? Yeah, I didn't think so.

I will never tire of liberals using the educational system to brainwash children and then watching them turn around and deny that they are doing it.

Last edited:
And, of course the article is nothing more than right wing hysteria:

CLAIM: Washington state has updated their curriculum standards to include teaching "transgenderism" to Kindergarteners.

UNPROVEN
WHAT'S TRUE: Washington State has released updated curriculum guidelines in 2016 that include directives regarding gender and gender expression.

WHAT'S FALSE: No part of the document suggests that children in Kindergarten will be taught about transgender issues.

Washington State to Teach Transgenderism to Kindergartners : snopes.com

Though gender identity is mentioned, there is NO mention of transsexuality in the curriculum for kindergartners.

Though gender identity is mentioned, there is NO mention of transsexuality in the curriculum for kindergartners.

I think the key aspect of the curriculum change is the implementation of teaching "gender" to kindergarteners, namely the idea that you are whatever gender that you identity yourself as. This replaces traditional teaching that you're one of two sexes, male or female.

The Snopes article goes on to say that Nathan Olson, communications manager for Washington's Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, says that by third grade, students will be expected to “Explain that gender roles can vary considerably”, which sounds like the time that teachers talk about trans people.
-----
Imo, they're drilling "gender is a social construct" to K-2 students, so that they can prep them for 3rd grade, when they tell them about transgender people. And by the time they graduate high school, they accept trans people as normal.

I think the key aspect of the curriculum change is the implementation of teaching "gender" to kindergarteners, namely the idea that you are whatever gender that you identity yourself as. This replaces traditional teaching that you're one of two sexes, male or female.

The Snopes article goes on to say that Nathan Olson, communications manager for Washington's Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, says that by third grade, students will be expected to “Explain that gender roles can vary considerably”, which sounds like the time that teachers talk about trans people.
-----
Imo, they're drilling "gender is a social construct" to K-2 students, so that they can prep them for 3rd grade, when they tell them about transgender people. And by the time they graduate high school, they accept trans people as normal.

That's not what the article says, though. The report from Nathan Olsen and the curriculum does not say that transsexuality will be mentioned even in the third grade. For the record, I do think that these concepts are a bit too complex to be discussing with 5-9 year olds. I have no issue with it being discussed in Middle School, though. And as far as accepting trans people as normal, I wouldn't go that far. Accepting them as a variance not to be insulted/degraded/attacked, that's more accurate as to how to perceive transsexuals.

Neither is it mentioned for any other grade level. In fact, there are no specifics for any of the different categories in the document. That's because they are general guidelines. To find out where the specifics are, you have to go to the glossary, which is even mentioned in your SNOPES link. There, on page 53, you can find the term transgender:

Transgender: A broad term describing people whose gender expression is nonconforming
and/or whose gender identity is different from the gender they were assigned at birth.

If you now go to the general guidelines, on page29, you find the following under Kindergarten:

Understand there are many ways to express gender.
H1.Se5.K

If transgenderism is a form of gender expression, and gender expression is being taught in Kindergarten, then it follows that such a term is within the authority of the teacher to make use of it, in the classroom, at that level.

Neither is it mentioned for any other grade level. In fact, there are no specifics for any of the different categories in the document. That's because they are general guidelines. To find out where the specifics are, you have to go to the glossary, which is even mentioned in your SNOPES link. There, on page 53, you can find the term transgender:

Transgender: A broad term describing people whose gender expression is nonconforming
and/or whose gender identity is different from the gender they were assigned at birth.

If you now go to the general guidelines, on page29, you find the following under Kindergarten:

Understand there are many ways to express gender.
H1.Se5.K

If transgenderism is a form of gender expression, and gender expression is being taught in Kindergarten, then it follows that such a term is within the authority of the teacher to make use of it, in the classroom, at that level.

And yet, as the snopes article explains, there is NO directive to discuss transsexuality in kindergarten. Gender expression, yes. Transsexuality, specifically, no.

Why do kindergarteners need to know about any of this crap in the first place?

That sounds like a load of hogwash. What exactly do kindergartners need to know about gender other than what they innately do? Considering where we already are on such issues and where the world is further heading, there will be no shortage of such twaddle once they start coming to age. But I guess you have to get them while they're young.

And yet, as the snopes article explains, there is NO directive to discuss transsexuality in kindergarten.

There may not be a directive, but there's nothing that prohibits the teacher from doing so. The document is silent on both. The teacher can, if he or she so chooses, freely use it.

The document is silent as to all specifics within the general guidelines and that is true for all the categories including:Health Education Core Idea: Wellness (W); Health Education Core Idea: Safety (Sa); Health Education Core Idea: Nutrition, (N) etc.

Documents like this do not give directives on specifics. Surely, if you're as smart as you say you are, you understand that. Local municipalities and teachers themselves are free to use the language, or specifics, anyway they see fit, so long as they conform to the general guidelines. That the directive isn't there, doesn't make the article from the DAILY CALLER any less true.

Context, as you said in another thread, is everything.

Last edited:
There may not be a directive, but there's nothing that prohibits the teacher from doing so. The document is silent on both. The teacher can, if he or she so chooses, freely use it.

The document is silent as to all specifics within the general guidelines and that is true for all the categories including:Health Education Core Idea: Wellness; (W)Health Education Core Idea: Safety; (Sa)Health Education Core Idea: Nutrition, (N) etc.

Documents like this do not give directives on specifics. Surely, if you're as smart as you say you are, you understand that. Local municipalities and teachers themselves are free to use the language, or specifics, anyway they see fit, so long as they conform to the general guidelines. That the directive isn't there, doesn't make the article from the DAILY CALLER any less true.

Context, as you said in another thread, is everything.

We are talking about what the directive says, not how one can use it. THAT'S the context of what we are discussing. The article in the OP claims that kindergartners are TO BE TAUGHT about transsexuality. That is untrue. Context does mean everything, and in this case, you are ignoring the context of the OP.

If this bothers you let's see you do anything to change it.

The article in the OP claims that kindergartners are TO BE TAUGHT about transsexuality. That is untrue.

No, it is not untrue. You can not claim that it is a false statement because it can not be contradicted. If there was a prohibition within the document, then you could falsify it. But there is not, so you can't.

I thought you were smart enough to figure this out...

No, it is not untrue. You can not claim that it is a false statement because it can not be contradicted. If there was a prohibition within the document, then you could falsify it. But there is not, so you can't.

I CAN claim it is untrue because it is not listed in the document. If it's NOT there, it is not a directive and is NOT what the OP claims is happening. You can't prove that it's a directive at all. And I thought YOU were smart enough to figure this out.

If this bothers you let's see you do anything to change it.

My children don't set foot in public school for the purposes of education. That's what I do about it, amongst other things.

Who is surprised by this? Anyone? Yeah, I didn't think so.

I will never tire of liberals using the educational system to brainwash children and then watching them turn around and deny that they are doing it.

Brainwash children?! Please tell me you're joking.

I CAN claim it is untrue because it is not listed in the document. If it's NOT there, it is not a directive and is NOT what the OP claims is happening. You can't prove that it's a directive at all. And I thought YOU were smart enough to figure this out.

Again, the document doesn't contain any directives with regard to language that is specific, such as terms, definitions, etc., and that is true for all categories and the guidelines within them. To be taught can be a true statement with regard to any language which is specific, so long as it conforms to the general guidelines within each category, and transgender is a specific term which falls within the kindergarten guideline under the category Health Education Core Idea: Sexual Health (Se)

These two statements are VERY different:

"Beginning as young as kindergarten, public school students in the state of Washington will be taught about “transgenderism” effective in the fall 2017 semester."

"Beginning as young as kindergarten, public school students in the state of Washington may be taught about “transgenderism” effective in the fall 2017 semester."

WILL and MAY.

The headline says WILL, which suggests a definitive notion, a directive that is mandated to happen.

The content is MAY, which suggests it's possible but not automatic.

Those are two VERY different things.

CC is doing the same thing I and others will do, and something I harp on often in terms of arguments and overreach. When you overreach, when you use hyperbole, when you exaggerate, then you WEAKEN your point, because anyone who is seeking to actually be objective and honest must first and foremost deal with the dishonesty before they can even move forward to potentially agree with the general thought process behind the issue.

I'm not big on this "gender identity" thing and the attempt that we as a society need to move to this "agender" kind of mentality where it's absolutely fluid and 100% a social construct where an individuals sex and gender and entirely separate things and only the latter truly matters when determining things, and that gender can shift and change or become non-existent for someone at basically any whim. This is not something I view as positive for society nor something that should be ingrained or taught.

With that said, rather than legitimately focusing on what this is ACTUALLY doing, the article takes it to a dishonest extreme by claiming something that isn't true. And as such, that issue must first and foremost be dealt with before truly being able to delve into the REAL reasons why something like this may not be a good thing.

You keeping your children out of public schools doesn't change what's going on there.

No but they aren't part of it either. If they want to focus on that crap instead a proper education, as far I am concerned good, the more sheep for my children to sheer. At the rate this countries educational system is going, it is going to end up an absurdly abundant target rich environment. Its almost that way already to be honest.

No but they aren't part of it either. If they want to focus on that crap instead a proper education, as far I am concerned good, the more sheep for my children to sheer. At the rate this countries educational system is going, it is going to end up an absurdly abundant target rich environment. Its almost that way already to be honest.

That's not really how it will work though. This kind of education changes social thoughts and behaviors and in the long run will affect all the children that go to private school today. I think what they're teaching these children about gender and sex is wrongheaded, and at least on the sex front, factually false, but in the long run the dogma being taught to these children will be the culturally accepted standard.

No, I'm quite serious. The message they are providing children is agenda driven.

My first reaction to the OP as well. Almost as if there's an attempt to purposefully make LGBT as fashionable, desirable, anormal if you are not.

Back
Top Bottom