• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kindergartner suspended for bringing princess bubble gun to school

When you start own with a strawman, you look silly. I'm simply saying what could have happened. Are you saying these things can't happen?

A strawman is a perfectly acceptable response to a non sequitur.

That's your bias talking.

What is "beyond absurd" is high school administrators. You can find laughably stupid actions by such persons regardless of whether they are in Reddy McRedState or in a blue state.

Liberalism and feminism begat this scourge.

We all know it.

And most of us can admit it.

Of course it is. To them, this is no different than a Howitzer.

And you obviously have no problem with students dragging howitzers to school.

When you start own with a strawman, you look silly. I'm simply saying what could have happened. Are you saying these things can't happen?

With a toy gun that looks like a real gun, yes. But not a transparent pastel pixie dust bubble blower.

With a toy gun that looks like a real gun, yes. But not a transparent pastel pixie dust bubble blower.

Water guns have almost always been banned in elementary schools, outside of organized activity of course.

Water guns have almost always been banned in elementary schools, outside of organized activity of course.

But worthy of a suspension? This one?

Welcome to zero tolerance policy design, you end up with zero reason.

Yeah, this is more due to the issues of zero tolerance than the lefts issue with guns. And zero tolerance in our schools is an issue we've arrived at due to bipartisan ****ery

But worthy of a suspension? This one?

She was sent home for the day and yes, that has typically been what has happened for decades. But after reading the district's defense I don't think she was sent home for the water gun, but for the gun part. Either way, it wasn't some horrible punishment. She brought something to school that every parent in CO, any school, knows their children can't bring to school. She's lucky they just sent her home for the rest of the day in this current climate.

She was sent home for the day and yes, that has typically been what has happened for decades. But after reading the district's defense I don't think she was sent home for the water gun, but for the gun part. Either way, it wasn't some horrible punishment. She brought something to school that every parent in CO, any school, knows their children can't bring to school. She's lucky they just sent her home for the rest of the day in this current climate.

Did you look at the picture of the thing?

Not one that looked like that, no.

Must have taken the time to look and ensure it was not. Of course from a safe distance. Amazing what that and a few more seconds can result in.

hmm .What do you think about cops shooting those kids with toy guns ?

Who are those kids you are talking about and what do they have to do with this kindergartner getting suspended for having a bubble gun? Here's where the non sequitur comes to play.

Who are those kids you are talking about and what do they have to do with this kindergartner getting suspended for having a bubble gun? Here's where the non sequitur comes to play.

honesty should be a part of our discusssion...............

You are never going to be able to bubble-wrap kids through life, and if you could you would end up with one terrified of just about everything adult.

And we're seeing this on college campuses and even law schools (where students are so distressed by the idea of rape laws being taught that they want "trigger warnings").

So from what I've gathered, the school has a rule against “carrying, using, actively displaying or threatening with the use of a firearm facsimile that could reasonably be mistaken for an actual firearm."

So, essentially, they're not even following their own guidelines? I mean, the facsimile needs to be **REASONABLY MISTAKEN**, and I'm not sorry, you'd have to be really, really oblivious to confuse something like the toy that got this 5 year old suspended with a genuine firearm...

Does it have a trigger and a barrel, yes or no ?

Nothing wrong with my statement, we are arguing point of view. Supporting zero tolerance policies means supporting the idea of suspending critical reason, it literally gets school administration off the hook for having to think about what happened.

So you end up with a kindergartner sent home for a plastic bubble gun, and asinine suggestions that it was warranted.

It is not a suspension of critical reason, it is unburdening the administrators from the need to employ their own discretion and interpretation.

The school has an obligation to provide for the safety and security of the students.

The school has ZERO obligation to allow students to bring firearm facsimiles to school. In fact, the need for security explains why such zero tolerance rules are in effect.

Now, do you trust that a teacher paid, what, $11/hr is going to be able to identify a handgun from a bb gun, and do you expect parents should be happy to gamble their children's lives on the teachers ability to do so successfully ?

You are never going to be able to bubble-wrap kids through life, and if you could you would end up with one terrified of just about everything adult.

When i trust my kid's life to someone else, i expect them to take my kid's safety very ****ing seriously.

I cannot fathom how anyone could conclude anything else.

What is the loss here ? A little kid is suspended from school for one day ? Maybe that's a bit more severe than i'd expect, but it's really not a big deal... At all...

If something looks even remotely like it could be a gun, it HAS TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY and most people are not experts on every type of firearm in existence.

Back
Top Bottom