• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kim Potter, ex-officer convicted in fatal shooting of Daunte Wright, sentenced to 2 years in prison -- less than prosecutors requested

Moon

Why so serious?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
(CNN)-Kim Potter, the former Minnesota police officer who mistakenly drew a gun instead of a Taser and fatally shot Daunte Wright, was sentenced to 2 years in prison on Friday, nearly two months after she was convicted of first- and second-degree manslaughter.

The sentence is less than the 86 months -- or 7 years and 2 months -- that prosecutors requested. Potter's attorneys argued for a lesser sentence, pointing to her lack of a prior criminal history and remorse for Wright's death.

Potter will be required to serve two-thirds of her sentence in prison, according to state law. With good behavior, she will be eligible for supervised release for the remaining third.

I think this is a fair sentence given the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

I was hoping they wouldn't crucify this poor woman, and they didnt, this is about what I was hoping for. I was actually hoping more for a suspended prison sentence given the circumstances, but this way she'll do about a year and a half, her entire life was ruined by one HUGE dumb mistake and one HUGELY dumb young aspiring thug.

Thank you for your service Officer Potter, we all know you were doing a great job and contributing to society unlike Dumb Duante.

salute.jpg

Remorseful white female cop, that's two years.

Black female who is mislead/tricked into trying to vote by probation?

'Merka.

A Black woman who was sentenced last week to six years and one day in prison for trying to register to vote in 2019 despite having a felony conviction. . . .
Ms. Moses was confused because she thought her probation was over, Mr. Anyanwu said. She still wanted to run for mayor, or at the very least vote in the upcoming election, so she went to find answers. In September 2019, a judge told Ms. Moses that she was indeed still on probation. She remained skeptical and went to the probation office, where a probation officer told her she was actually done with her felony probation, records show. The probation officer signed off on her voting rights restoration form. Ms. Moses submitted the form to election officials.
Problems came one day later. The probation officer had made a mistake, and the Department of Correction sent a letter to the Shelby County Election Commission informing it that Ms. Moses was “still under an active felony sentence” and could not vote, records show. Ms. Moses was then charged with perjury on a registration form and consenting to a false entry on official election documents. The former charge was dropped, because there was no false statement from Ms. Moses on the voting form, but she was convicted of the second charge in November and sentenced Jan. 31 to six years and one day in prison.

Last edited:
Meanwhile we've got black people getting years and years for accidentally voting incorrectly.

Remorseful white female cop, though...

I'm sensing some black grievance.

I dont really think this is the proper thread for that Mr. Person.(n)

Meanwhile we've got black people getting years and years for accidentally voting incorrectly.

Remorseful white female cop, though...

yeah, its just another in a long line of obvious racism in the justice system. Even the insurrectionists getting light sentence and you see some of the insane sentence people get for having some drugs on them.

it is so undeniable, I don't know why people continue to do so

yeah, its just another in a long line of obvious racism in the justice system. Even the insurrectionists getting light sentence and you see some of the insane sentence people get for having some drugs on them.

it is so undeniable, I don't know why people continue to do so

The only real "crime" committed here Lloyd, besides the long list of them committed by Dumb Duante leading to his fatal encounter that day, is the fact that Officer Potter will spend any time at all behind bars. She clearly doesnt belong there.
That is the real crime here Lloyd. IMO

A bit lighter sentence than I had expected, which was 3 to 5 years (1/5 to 1/3 of the maximum possible 15 years). This was still a vast improvement over the ‘internal review’ process normally used to ‘handle’ police shootings.

Even the insurrectionists getting light sentence and you see some of the insane sentence people get for having some drugs on them.

Friend of mine did 9 years state penitentiary for having some LSD, only 1 sheet.

he did every one of those 9 years, it was a Mandatory Minimum. Nicest guy in the world, never harmed a flea and never would.

he's out now, but he did 9 years, White guy.

(

Kim Potter, ex-officer convicted in fatal shooting of Daunte Wright, sentenced to 2 years in prison -- less than prosecutors requested​

This is so so so so wrong.

Cops will simply not do their jobs anymore, be happy liberals.

This is so so so so wrong.

Cops will simply not do their jobs anymore, be happy liberals.

Im not sure what your point is here. Do you disagree with the sentence? I feel it was reasonable, lets face it she was going to have to do some jail time, it was about the same as accidentally killing a person in some other ways, I figured they'd unfairly give her 10 years or some nonsense.

Im not sure what your point is here. Do you disagree with the sentence? I feel it was reasonable, lets face it she was going to have to do some jail time, it was about the same as accidentally killing a person in some other ways, I figured they'd unfairly give her 10 years or some nonsense.

I simply cannot fathom being tasked with perfection when pursuing a criminal.

Ever notice how liberals on this forum like to throw at that silly term they call "whataboutism" at conservatives, and then as soon as a subject comes up they see as injustice, all they offer are whataboutism comparisons like we see in this thread?

The reality is that every convicted person before sentencing will have a recommendation from a probation hearing to the judge to be used to determine the sentencing which will consider everything from mitigating circumstances, to aggravating circumstances, as well as the likelihood of rehabilitation of the convicted as opposed to recidivism, based on that INDIVIDUAL convicted person's past history.

This woman received the lesser sentence allowed by the law because that is EXACTLY what the information suggested was appropriate. Her sentence was within the laws on the books enacted by that state's REPRESENTATIVE legislature.

(CNN)-Kim Potter, the former Minnesota police officer who mistakenly drew a gun instead of a Taser and fatally shot Daunte Wright, was sentenced to 2 years in prison on Friday, nearly two months after she was convicted of first- and second-degree manslaughter.

The sentence is less than the 86 months -- or 7 years and 2 months -- that prosecutors requested. Potter's attorneys argued for a lesser sentence, pointing to her lack of a prior criminal history and remorse for Wright's death.

Potter will be required to serve two-thirds of her sentence in prison, according to state law. With good behavior, she will be eligible for supervised release for the remaining third.

I think this is a fair sentence given the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

I agree. When you look at the goals of incarceration in the criminal justice system, there is little to be gained by a lengthy sentence. It was a tragic accident. She's not a criminal, nor is she likely to go out and commit crimes.

I'm still troubled by the conviction though. There's every indication she was a good officer. She made a mistake in a split second decision forced upon her by a young man committing a serious crime. It was clearly an accident - she was trying not to kill him. The ironic part is that if she had actually tried to shoot him under the circumstances, she likely would have been fully justified.

A Black woman who was sentenced last week to six years and one day in prison for trying to register to vote in 2019 despite having a felony conviction. . . .
l[/URL]​
It isn't the fact that this officer got 2 years, it is the fact that black woman got 6 years that is horrifying.

Ever notice how liberals on this forum like to throw at that silly term they call "whataboutism" at conservatives, and then as soon as a subject comes up they see as injustice, all they offer are whataboutism comparisons like we see in this thread?

The reality is that every convicted person before sentencing will have a recommendation from a probation hearing to the judge to be used to determine the sentencing which will consider everything from mitigating circumstances, to aggravating circumstances, as well as the likelihood of rehabilitation of the convicted as opposed to recidivism, based on that INDIVIDUAL convicted person's past history.

This woman received the lesser sentence allowed by the law because that is EXACTLY what the information suggested was appropriate. Her sentence was within the laws on the books enacted by that state's REPRESENTATIVE legislature.
That's very true, and a good point.

I don't know the specifics of this state, but in most there are three sentencing reports - the prosecution, the defense, and an independent one - prepared for the court. Prosecutors shoot high, defense low. Not uncommon for the court to go somewhere in the middle. In this case, it makes sense that the court would go lower in the range.

Neither of the other two officers present even attempted to use any weapon.

Yes, I'd say that is about right. Only about one in three cops bother to do their job.
This I am very familiar with.
No worries, none will after this sentence.

Yes, I'd say that is about right. Only about one in three cops bother to do their job.
This I am very familiar with.
No worries, none will after this sentence.

If you had paid attention to the trial, her reason (excuse?) for letting her trainee make a mistake (allowing the suspect to escape) was to avoid embarrassing him. That (poor?) judgement call, coupled with her second (weapon’s choice) mistake, resulted in someone’s death.

Remorseful white female cop, that's two years.

Black female who is mislead/tricked into trying to vote by probation?

'Merka.

Ms. Moses was confused because she thought her probation was over, Mr. Anyanwu said. She still wanted to run for mayor, or at the very least vote in the upcoming election, so she went to find answers. In September 2019, a judge told Ms. Moses that she was indeed still on probation. She remained skeptical and went to the probation office, where a probation officer told her she was actually done with her felony probation, records show. The probation officer signed off on her voting rights restoration form. Ms. Moses submitted the form to election officials.
Problems came one day later. The probation officer had made a mistake, and the Department of Correction sent a letter to the Shelby County Election Commission informing it that Ms. Moses was “still under an active felony sentence” and could not vote, records show. Ms. Moses was then charged with perjury on a registration form and consenting to a false entry on official election documents. The former charge was dropped, because there was no false statement from Ms. Moses on the voting form, but she was convicted of the second charge in November and sentenced Jan. 31 to six years and one day in prison.

This was like trusting oral advice from the IRS. Anyone wonder why I am a libertarian?

I simply cannot fathom being tasked with perfection when pursuing a criminal.
It aint perfection lol… Not even close to military expectations. This isnt even close to the amount of goddamn perfection a civilian is expected to maintain to not get shot or killed by a cop. If you have one crime on your rap sheet cop defenders will excuse the cop executing you on the spot.

Back
Top Bottom