• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kim Jung Un claims the US is going to launch a nuclear attack

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
North Korea threatening "Merciless retaliatory counteraction" against the South and the US.

Otherwise known in North Korea as "Thursday".

I used to listen to Radio Pyongyang for the entertainment value... Yep, Thursday is about right.

Saturday is when they beat back the Imperialist forces and sink a carrier or two.

I used to listen to Radio Pyongyang for the entertainment value... Yep, Thursday is about right.

Saturday is when they beat back the Imperialist forces and sink a carrier or two.

Does North Korea know what a carrier is? Much less how to sink one?

If Trump gets elected, he may not have to wait long.

Does North Korea know what a carrier is? Much less how to sink one?

They sure knew how to sink a South Korean Navy Corvette with a submarine's torpedo in 2010.

I don't get too worked up about what the DPRK says, but sometimes what they actually do gives me concern.

They sure knew how to sink a South Korean Navy Corvette with a submarine's torpedo in 2010.

I don't get too worked up about what the DPRK says, but sometimes what they actually do gives me concern.

North Korea don't phase me, dawg.

They're all bark and no bite.

North Korea don't phase me, dawg.

They sure have a loud bark, but do not make the mistake of believing that they can't or won't bite as well. Here's an unofficial list of incidents with the DPRK since 1953. One thing most people do not actually know, is that South Korea (ROK) is still officially at war with the DPRK, and the US has a Mutual Defense Treaty with the ROK. The ROK and DPRK signed an Armistice Agreement which states that it was entered into in 1953 to "insure a complete cessation of hostilities and of all acts of armed force in Korea until a final peaceful settlement is achieved." No final peace settlement has ever been reached.

Corvettes and carriers are pretty different animals......

While that's largely true.

There is a problem.

The problem comes from the unknown.

We do not fully understand how DPRK is governed day to day.

How much power does Kim Jong Un really have?

Is he just a figurehead that a Junta uses for propaganda?

More realistically Kim Jong Un is under increasing pressure, from China and I theorize that there is intense internal power struggles in DPRK that we do not understand, conservative elements within the DPRK Elite were not happy such a young man became leader and with more western thinking, the authorities have actually, slowly but surely increased private transaction markets in an attempt to deal with the governments lack of ability to repair their own distribution system completely destroyed in the early 90's.

I theorize the way KJU attempts to offset these internal power struggles against him is two fold.

We have seen purges and we have seen acts of aggression, his however were more dangerous than his fathers sabre rattling.

Kim Jong Il was at least a practical man and despite some of the more macabre acts of kidnapping and violence in his early days, did things specifically to bring others to the table and get some form of concession in return for standing down.

Kim Jong Un appears far more aggressive for others reasons and because we don't understand them, if KJU was ever pushed in a corner, more specifically by the internal power struggles within DPRK and he felt so threatened for his life that the only way out was an act of unbridled aggression that pushed us beyond the brink... Then god help the Korean People, North and South.

Corvettes and carriers are pretty different animals......

Not if you're talking about little drones - :shock:

ms8vdl.gif

Kim Jong Un apparently missed out on some crucial nurturing as a child. Something is seriously wrong with this guy.

Yep. He's off his rocker.

He might end up bringing North Korea further down to the ground than it already is.

Kim Jong Un apparently missed out on some crucial nurturing as a child. Something is seriously wrong with this guy.

Yep. He's off his rocker.

He might end up bringing North Korea further down to the ground than it already is.

And yet, he went to school in Europe. He must know how the rest of the world lives, yet he keeps his country an Orwellian dystopia and blames the rest of the world for its troubles.

This looks like he is trying to play for more power/ justify his power to his own people (or perhaps the naïve among his people).

He falsely claims US is planning an attack, then threatens "merciless retaliation" in order to dissuade the attack. Then, when the "attack" fails to materialize, he can claim victory. It was his threats of retaliation that saved the country, you see? Seems in line with other things he's done.

This looks like he is trying to play for more power/ justify his power to his own people (or perhaps the naïve among his people).

He falsely claims US is planning an attack, then threatens "merciless retaliation" in order to dissuade the attack. Then, when the "attack" fails to materialize, he can claim victory. It was his threats of retaliation that saved the country, you see? Seems in line with other things he's done.

It's a strategy that works.

At least it works when you have total control of the media and don't allow your subjects to have access to the internet.

The propaganda for local consumption goes back to the 1950s

They even claimed they sank the US Baltimore

Which never made it to Korea...

DPRK War Museum

800px-KoreanWar_NK_TB1.JPG

North Korea threatening "Merciless retaliatory counteraction" against the South and the US.

Otherwise known in North Korea as "Thursday".

In for the win!!

Back
Top Bottom