• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kim Davis Wants The Law To Forget That Time She Defied The Supreme Court On Gay Marri

year2late

IIJAFM
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Kim Davis is back...

Kim Davis Wants The Law To Forget That Time She Defied The Supreme Court On Gay Marriage

[/QUOTEKim Davis, the Kentucky county clerk who made a splash last summer with her refusal to grant marriage licenses to gay couples, wants an appeals court to officially forget all about the incident and make the case go away.]

15 minutes officially over.
So this is her lawyer's argument?

"In a motion filed Tuesday with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, where Davis is contesting an earlier contempt order against her, her lawyers asked for the whole matter to be dismissed because of recent developments in Kentucky law.

Specifically, Davis’ attorneys noted that the state legislature recently removed a requirement that county clerks sign their names to marriage licenses. This change to the law provides “the very religious accommodation Davis sought from the beginning of this litigation,” her lawyers wrote in their petition, thus effectively rendering the whole case moot."

B.S. - She did the offense under the then current statute, and she did it with intent, knowledge of the statute, cognizance of her actions, and public notoriety.

She should live with it like, anyone else!

Kim Davis Wants The Law To Forget That Time She Defied The Supreme Court On Gay Marriage

Kim Davis, the Kentucky county clerk who made a splash last summer with her refusal to grant marriage licenses to gay couples, wants an appeals court to officially forget all about the incident and make the case go away.

This comment is basically how I feel about this:

Oh this is great. I got a speeding ticket last year in South Carolina but the speed limit has since been changed to 5 MPH faster. So i will now go back and contest this ticket. And ask for my fine back.

Last edited:

I'm feeling very stupid right now. Can somebody translate the premise of her lawyer's argument into cretin for me?

[/QUOTEKim Davis, the Kentucky county clerk who made a splash last summer with her refusal to grant marriage licenses to gay couples, wants an appeals court to officially forget all about the incident and make the case go away.]

She used government power to enforce personal belief against the free practice of rights and liberties by the People. As far as I'm concerned, she should be in jail.

I'm feeling very stupid right now. Can somebody translate the premise of her lawyer's argument into cretin for me?

"Twee done made us a new law, you should forget she broke the old un. Cause the new un said she could."

"God isn't as important now as God was at the time."

That the lawsuit should be dismissed since the marriage licenses that she issue without her name would now be valid under the new law an thus there is no suit to be had.

Note that even the opposing side agrees

Notably, the legal team for the same-sex couples who were turned away by Davis — they were seeking licenses after the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage nationwide — will not oppose the clerk’s latest move.

“We agree that Kim Davis’s appeals should be dismissed,” Daniel Canon, one of those lawyers, said in an email to The Huffington Post. “Once the new Kentucky law becomes effective, all loving couples seeking to obtain marriage licenses will be able to do so on an equal basis.”

So this is her lawyer's argument?

"In a motion filed Tuesday with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, where Davis is contesting an earlier contempt order against her, her lawyers asked for the whole matter to be dismissed because of recent developments in Kentucky law.

Specifically, Davis’ attorneys noted that the state legislature recently removed a requirement that county clerks sign their names to marriage licenses. This change to the law provides “the very religious accommodation Davis sought from the beginning of this litigation,” her lawyers wrote in their petition, thus effectively rendering the whole case moot."

B.S. - She did the offense under the then current statute, and she did it with intent, knowledge of the statute, cognizance of her actions, and public notoriety.

She should live with it like, anyone else!
What was the state law regarding gay marriage when she refused to sign the marriage certificates?

That the lawsuit should be dismissed since the marriage licenses that she issue without her name would now be valid under the new law an thus there is no suit to be had.

Note that even the opposing side agrees
Thats what should have happened in the first place. The SCOTUS decision left several states in opposition to the SCOTUS ruling and no timetable to change it.

What was the state law regarding gay marriage when she refused to sign the marriage certificates?
Not sure of the exact details, but her lawyers are claiming that the circumstances have changed since she was found in contempt. I believe they're referring to the change occuring where an employee can now recuse themselves from providing marriage certs as long as another employee will do it for them.

I wish I could find a job like that! ;)

Not sure of the exact details, but her lawyers are claiming that the circumstances have changed since she was found in contempt. I believe they're referring to the change occuring where an employee can now recuse themselves from providing marriage certs as long as another employee will do it for them.

The thing that changed is that county clerks no longer have to sign marriage certificates in Kentucky.

So...since she does not have to sign them...Kim feels that her god will not condemn her to hell for all of eternity for having done so.

If you think about this, why would signing it be more of a sin than issuing it?
The thing that changed is that county clerks no longer have to sign marriage certificates in Kentucky.

So...since she does not have to sign them...Kim feels that her god will not condemn her to hell for all of eternity for having done so.

If you think about this, why would signing it be more of a sin than issuing it?
Beats me. But the whole controversy seemed contrived.

Her lawyers...the other sides lawyers...and the fact of the matter is that the state law supported her position. Sure...the Supreme Court ruling invalidated the State law but at BEST what that meant was that there WAS no law regarding marriage in Kentucky. The whole problem should have and could have been avoided.

Her lawyers...the other sides lawyers...and the fact of the matter is that the state law supported her position. Sure...the Supreme Court ruling invalidated the State law but at BEST what that meant was that there WAS no law regarding marriage in Kentucky. The whole problem should have and could have been avoided.
Ah, so your saying the judge ordering her to issue the licenses gave an invalid directive?

Remember, she's wasn't charged with a state or federal crime - but with contempt of court.

Ah, so your saying the judge ordering her to issue the licenses gave an invalid directive?

Remember, she's wasn't charged with a state or federal crime - but with contempt of court.
She was following her sworn mandate. Uphold the laws and Constitution of the state of Kentucky. She did.

Yes, but her god did not issue the contempt order, the presiding Judge did! ;)

See this:

(I absolutely *love* this movie!)

She used government power to enforce personal belief against the free practice of rights and liberties by the People. As far as I'm concerned, she should be in jail.

Ie she used her 1st amendment rights to protest something that violated it which the government doesn't have the power to do. in fact the government must make
an attempt to provide a religious exception for her. they did not.

now they have. imprisoning people for constitutionally guarded rights not a good idea.

Ie she used her 1st amendment rights to protest something that violated it which the government doesn't have the power to do. in fact the government must make
an attempt to provide a religious exception for her. they did not.

now they have. imprisoning people for constitutionally guarded rights not a good idea.

Shes free to say as she likes. She is not free to use her power as a government official to infringe upon the free exercise of rights by the individual. That's tyranny.

Shes free to say as she likes. She is not free to use her power as a government official to infringe upon the free exercise of rights by the individual. That's tyranny.

please see the religious exception laws. the government is not allowed to violate her religious rights.
you are right the government forcing people to violate their rights is tyranny so why do you support tyranny?

she was finally able to get them to just let her clerks sign them without her signature.
which they should have done to begin with.

She was following her sworn mandate. Uphold the laws and Constitution of the state of Kentucky. She did.
Vance, are you trying to re-litigate this issue?

Fair enough with your statement, but if so (this I do not know besides your assertion) the state directives were found unconstitutional and a federal judge gave her an order from the bench which she disregarded.

But you passed upon my early question: "Are you asserting the presiding judge's directive was invalid"?

That's all that really matters here, Vance.

If you work for the government, you HAVE to follow government rules...or pay the price. It's that simple. She had every right in the world to oppose gay marriage. But not in her capacity as clerk.

please see the religious exception laws. the government is not allowed to violate her religious rights.
you are right the government forcing people to violate their rights is tyranny so why do you support tyranny?

she was finally able to get them to just let her clerks sign them without her signature.
which they should have done to begin with.

And the government infringed upon the free practice of contract and marriage when she refused to issue the license. Acting as county clerk, she is government agent and she cannot use her government power to infringe upon the rights of others. Which is what she did. Government abuse is government abuse.

Back
Top Bottom