• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Killer Hornets' Kill 42 in China......

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Swarms of hornets have killed 42 people in northwestern China in recent months, state media said Thursday, as temperatures rise and development drives the stinging insects into cities.

a645a09d1b7e2d2e001faa7de6440fa59277f64c.jpg

The terrifying attacks started in July, the official Xinhua news agency said Thursday, with 1,640 people having been stung.

Of those, 206 are being treated in hospital, it quoted the National Health and Family Planning Commission as saying.

"With the development of air-conditioning, urban landscaping and residential environment, hornets have started to migrate and relocate to cities, which has increased the probability of their hurting people," Xinhua said in a report Wednesday.....snip~

'Killer hornets' kill 42 in China

Wow 42 dead from attacks by a Swarm of Hornets. 206 in the hospital and over 1000 people stung. Just think if this happened here in the US. People here would think the world was ending.....huh?

They are saying that they are Giant Hornets too. About the Size of an adults thumb?

Well, having dealt with Africanized honeybees, all I can say is, I hope they keep them in China, rather than exporting them here. It sounds like the humans are probably trespassing into the hornets' territory, rather than the other way around.

Well, having dealt with Africanized honeybees, all I can say is, I hope they keep them in China, rather than exporting them here. It sounds like the humans are probably trespassing into the hornets' territory, rather than the other way around.

Heya Liz :2wave: .....yeah plus they are saying it is these Hornets mating season and they are more aggressive. Guess I would get upset if I always had people messing with getting my groove on too. :lol:

But that it is a lot of people and covering like 3 towns and or cities. Here is the one that says they are Giant Hornets. Seniors and kids need to be aware as they can cause multiple organ failures within the human body.

Giant hornets kill 42 in China

Authorities are destroying nests, putting up warning signs and raising public awareness via television, radio and the Internet, it said. Residents have been told to wear long sleeves when they go out, and not to try to drive away the swarms.

Hornets mate and migrate in September and October when they are at their most aggressive, according to local media. Their stings can cause allergic reactions and multiple organ failure.....snip~

Heya Liz :2wave: .....yeah plus they are saying it is these Hornets mating season and they are more aggressive. Guess I would get upset if I always had people messing with getting my groove on too. :lol:

But that it is a lot of people and covering like 3 towns and or cities. Here is the one that says they are Giant Hornets. Seniors and kids need to be aware as they can cause multiple organ failures within the human body.

Authorities are destroying nests, putting up warning signs and raising public awareness via television, radio and the Internet, it said. Residents have been told to wear long sleeves when they go out, and not to try to drive away the swarms.

Hornets mate and migrate in September and October when they are at their most aggressive, according to local media. Their stings can cause allergic reactions and multiple organ failure.....snip~

Interesting stuff MMC. I wasn't aware that they migrate.

Yeah, I'm going to have to look that up. It takes me quite by surprise.

I wouldn't think they could get here unless.....like somehow they were shipped in a container for study, and the container broke up and they got out and mated with others of their kind. It's not as if something like that could ever happen.....again :lol:

I wouldn't think they could get here unless.....like somehow they were shipped in a container for study, and the container broke up and they got out and mated with others of their kind. It's not as if something like that could ever happen.....again :lol:

Well, I refer you to the story of how the Africanized honeybee arrived here. It will probably piss you off.

Well, I refer you to the story of how the Africanized honeybee arrived here. It will probably piss you off.

Yeah Liz.....I remember. Hence my remark.

Hornets around here aren't bad to deal with.....its the yellowjackets and other wasps. Which are pretty big in size.

I had to keep an eye out for my oldest while he was growing up. Had to keep an Epy Pen around all the time. Just in case he got stung. Then my youngest got stung by a couple of yellowjackets......which caused me to go after those around my property. I ended up chasing them out. I didn't give any breaks. ;)

In the West insects are pests but in China beetles, bees, wasps and ants are the most widely consumed species.

The Ford van in the background is a nice touch. Hope they keep buying those Hornet-killing machines. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom