• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kill Your Darlings

Fiddytree

Neocon Elitist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From time to time I like to delve into the counter-culture era of the 1960s and its inspiration from the Beat poets of the prior generation. Kill Your Darlings is about Allen Ginsberg (Danielle Radcliffe), Jack Kerouac (Jack Huston), Lucien Carr (Dane DeHaan) and William Burroughs (Ben Foster) during their early years at Columbia University with David Kammerer (Michael C. Hall) regarding Kammerer's murder.

Last edited:
The 60's? The Beats were primarily late 40's and 50's.

The first part of the preview reminds me of Dead Poet's Society. ;)

The 60's? The Beats were primarily late 40's and 50's.

Correct. I usually look at the Beats through the lens of the next generation of radicals being heavily influenced by them. I meant no confusion.

Correct. I usually look at the Beats through the lens of the next generation of radicals being heavily influenced by them. I meant no confusion.

No confusion- "counter-culture era of the 1960s and its inspiration from the Beat poets of the prior generation"

No confusion- "counter-culture era of the 1960s and its inspiration from the Beat poets of the prior generation"

So, are you saying that the statement was not confusing, or are you also suggesting that I had it wrong? I did mean to make it clear, but probably failed, to mean that I typically like to look at the Beats through the '60s lens.

No prob. It's an interesting topic and could be a really good flick.

Many years ago I was intrigued by Tuli Kupferberg and kind of grazed through a bunch of Kerouac, Ginsberg, Williams, etc. It was more a pushback against military life than anything else but it was definitely interesting. Eventually I kind of came to the conclusion that a lot of those guys, their acolytes and their disciples were just plain nuts.

No prob. It's an interesting topic and could be a really good flick.

Many years ago I was intrigued by Tuli Kupferberg and kind of grazed through a bunch of Kerouac, Ginsberg, Williams, etc. It was more a pushback against military life than anything else but it was definitely interesting. Eventually I kind of came to the conclusion that a lot of those guys, their acolytes and their disciples were just plain nuts.

That's a bit more than I have done on their own work. I had looked at them by proxy: which intellectuals they came into contact with, who hated who, etc. After a while, I think I had found enough stock footage from researching folks around these guys to where I could find Ginsberg just sitting around on a random occasion. Friends who tolerated me looking at film footage or TV reruns helped turn it into into a joke of sorts like "Where's Allen?" I think it I likened it to his animated counterpart in the documentary Chicago 10: eventually he's just floating in the air randomly appearing.

So, are you saying that the statement was not confusing, or are you also suggesting that I had it wrong? I did mean to make it clear, but probably failed, to mean that I typically like to look at the Beats through the '60s lens.

No confusion. "60's", "beat poets", "prior generation", hard to misunderstand. I didn't watch the trailer but I wouldn't have guessed that Allen Ginsberg knew Jack Kerouac. I think I heard he was buds with Ken Kesey, though, so it's no surprise.

Back
Top Bottom