• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kids of lesbians have fewer behavioral problems, study suggests

Then by all means, define it for us.

Explain to us how you can make the claim that "Kids of lesbians have fewer behavioral problems" without drawing a comparison.

This is not rocket science, folks.

I'm sure there are all manner of surveys and studies on heterosexual families for them to compare the results of this one. I mean, one only has to pull statistics for behavioral problems exhibited in the kids of any number of family arrangments and create data sets.

This is not rocket science.

Psychological trauma is a type of damage to the psyche that occurs as a result of a traumatic event. When that trauma leads to posttraumatic stress disorder, damage may involve physical changes inside the brain and to brain chemistry, which damage the person's ability to adequately cope with stress.

A traumatic event involves a single experience, or an enduring or repeating event or events, that completely overwhelm the individual's ability to cope or integrate the ideas and emotions involved with that experience. The sense of being overwhelmed can be delayed by weeks, years, even decades, as the person struggles to cope with the immediate circumstances.

Trauma can be caused by a wide variety of events, but there are a few common aspects. There is frequently a violation of the person's familiar ideas about the world and of their human rights, putting the person in a state of extreme confusion and insecurity. This is also seen when people or institutions depended on for survival violate or betray or disillusion the person in some unforeseen way.[1]

Psychological trauma may accompany physical trauma or exist independently of it. Typical causes and dangers of psychological trauma are sexual abuse, bullying, domestic violence, the victim of alcoholism, the threat of either, or the witnessing of either, particularly in childhood. Catastrophic events such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, war or other mass violence can also cause psychological trauma. Long-term exposure to situations such as extreme poverty or milder forms of abuse, such as verbal abuse, can be traumatic (though verbal abuse can also potentially be traumatic as a single event).

However, different people will react differently to similar events. One person may experience an event as traumatic while another person would not suffer trauma as a result of the same event. In other words, not all people who experience a potentially traumatic event will actually become psychologically traumatized [2]

Some theories suggest childhood trauma can lead to violent behavior. Some ideas believe such violent behavior can be as extreme as serial murder. For example, Hickey's Trauma-Control Model which suggests "childhood trauma for serial murderers may serve as a triggering mechanism resulting in an individual’s inability to cope with the stress of certain events" [3]

Explain to us how you can make the claim that "Kids of lesbians have fewer behavioral problems" without drawing a comparison.

So, you really don't think that with all of the studies done on kids raised by hetero-couples we don't have some kind of baseline? Seriously?

They didn't make that claim, the study showed it.

I'm sure there are all manner of surveys and studies on heterosexual families for them to compare the results of this one. I mean, one only has to pull statistics for behavioral problems exhibited in the kids of any number of family arrangments and create data sets.
As previously stated, there are many potential confounds in the lesbian sample that could make such a comparison difficult.

So, you really don't think that with all of the studies done on kids raised by hetero-couples we don't have some kind of baseline? Seriously?
Yes, seriously! If you're going to attempt a statistical comparison, you can't simply pull some numbers from another study. If the lesbian sample is predominantly white, middle-aged, self-selected, self-reporting, financially stable etc. etc. - you've got to match all those characteristics in the comparison group. You can't simply pick something off the shelf.

They didn't make that claim, the study showed it.
Data is data. The study doesn't "show" anything by itself. Authors make claims and offer proof to support those claims.

Data is data. The study doesn't "show" anything by itself. Authors make claims and offer proof to support those claims.

Their proof is the data. They didn't start the study hoping the outcome to be this way, they read the data, and stated what it showed.

Their proof is the data. they read the data, and stated what it showed.
Behavioral studies are rarely (never?) that definitive. Two scientists can look at the same data and interpret it in two very different ways. Researchers can (and often do) err in drawing conclusions.

I seriously doubt that even the author(s) of this study are as sure of their conclusions as you are.

So the real question remains: Who's better to raise a kid, two lesbians or two gay guys? How about two transexuals? Two lephrachauns?

Let's do a study on every possibility other than a man and a woman married in a church in front of their friends and families and conceiving in a natural way.

Behavioral studies are rarely (never?) that definitive. Two scientists can look at the same data and interpret it in two very different ways. Researchers can (and often do) err in drawing conclusions.

I seriously doubt that even the author(s) of this study are as sure of their conclusions as you are.

I'm not using this study to base my opinion LGBT parents. I'm just not going to immediately tear it down.

Bad parents are bad parents,and good parents are good parents, doesn't matter if they are straight or not.

So the real question remains: Who's better to raise a kid, two lesbians or two gay guys? How about two transexuals? Two lephrachauns?

Let's do a study on every possibility other than a man and a woman married in a church in front of their friends and families and conceiving in a natural way.

I would think that it is best to have 2 loving and supportive adults. The rest is irrelevant to me.

As previously stated, there are many potential confounds in the lesbian sample that could make such a comparison difficult.

Well since you are so sure, you won't mind pointing some of them out, would you?

Or...now stay with me for a moment...you could try addressing the topic with a mind for analyzing data rather than making a clown of yourself. Just sayin'.

Moderator's Warning:
Talk about the topics and the posts, but please do not talk about the posters.

Not at all contradictory

Gender of the parent does tend to play are role in which parent is going to be more nuturing, that a parent might perfer a penis or a vagina does not.
Ah, my bad. I was confused because your first sentence has no relevance to the OP and I therefore misread it.

You do understand that studies like this probably wouldn't even be done were it not for the homophobes and idiots who make retarded claims about gay people, right? If nutjobs would stop claiming gay people are unfit for parenthood or raise gay children then no one would need to waste time and money proving the asshats wrong. Savvy?

Of course, children raised by lesbians don't cause problems. Without any role of masculinity present in the home, the male children grow up effeminate and weak.

What an incredibly stupid thing to say. You realize that you are also applying this to men raised by single mothers?

LOL

File this under "BS" and ignore.

Good gawd.

Oh okay, so when a study comes to a conclusion you disagree with it it's invalid? What evidence do you have to support your arguement.

Pffftt... *Men* aren't raised by women. Only girly-boys are. Don't you know nuttin?

No. I was raised by hyenas. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom