• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kids Home For Virtual Learning

gulfman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Who is watching these kids home for virtual learning?If the younger kids are alone the parents should be charged with child endangerment.

I'm sure it's being taken care of, Gulfman, probably by grandparents, sitters, maids, friends, neighbors, out-of-work nightclub performers, etc.

Who is watching these kids home for virtual learning?If the younger kids are alone the parents should be charged with child endangerment.

So should the anti-mask / anti-vax parents. :)

My kid goes to virtual school, and I work from home. Sadly, I know a lot of parents that wish they could keep their kids home, but cannot because they have to leave the house for work. I'm sure everyone is doing their best, gulfman, but I'm sure your concern is appreciated. Crazy times, and all of that.

Like we charged Steven Miller and Donald Trump for kidnapping kids at the border? Oh that's right, those indictments happen next year.

So should the anti-mask / anti-vax parents. :)

My kid goes to virtual school, and I work from home. Sadly, I know a lot of parents that wish they could keep their kids home, but cannot because they have to leave the house for work. I'm sure everyone is doing their best, gulfman, but I'm sure your concern is appreciated. Crazy times, and all of that.

Same here. That's the problem - if your school has to shut down due to Covid it's not safe for the kids to go there but then if you have to physically be in an office and have no dependable child care you are in a tough pickle. I've also seen stupid government "rules" about child care not being "schools" so some can't even take remote learners. Total shit show that could have been planned better.

At what age?

If we had had a real president who showed real leadership on the coronavirus, we would be mostly back to normal by now. Same goes for militant anti-maskers who are unwilling to accept the slightest bit of inconvenience to wear a ****ing mask. 😷

So all the Karen and manbaby parents who want their children to go back to school without masks can cry me a ****ing river. They're just eating what they sowed.

If we had had a real president who showed real leadership on the coronavirus, we would be mostly back to normal by now. Same goes for militant anti-maskers who are unwilling to accept the slightest bit of inconvenience to wear a ****ing mask. 😷

So all the Karen and manbaby parents who want their children to go back to school without masks can cry me a ****ing river. They're just eating what they sowed.
I suppose all the other leaders of every country in the world are just as bad as Trump

Luckily I'm a stay at home parent, and both my kids attend in person. We finished last year virtually, but the district is preparing us all in case they stop in person schooling over winter break.

One observer said that the closure of Schools due to Covid is intended to do nothing more or less than block the ability of adults to go to work.

Judging by the apparent lack of deadly infection in school age children, any rational connection to mitigation seems contrived.

The demographic share of deaths among school age kids is under 0.1%. The total share of Covid deaths among the age demographics 59 and younger is under 8%.

Deaths among the age demographics 59 and younger are about 24,000. Losses of jobs, businesses and life time savings is about 70 million. Suicides, addictions and domestic abuse are all at record highs.

The "cure" seems to be far worse than the "illness".

One observer said that the closure of Schools due to Covid is intended to do nothing more or less than block the ability of adults to go to work.

Judging by the apparent lack of deadly infection in school age children, any rational connection to mitigation seems contrived.

The demographic share of deaths among school age kids is under 0.1%. The total share of Covid deaths among the age demographics 59 and younger is under 8%.

Deaths among the age demographics 59 and younger are about 24,000. Losses of jobs, businesses and life time savings is about 70 million. Suicides, addictions and domestic abuse are all at record highs.

One observer? Alex Jones??

You seem to believe children go to school in a vacuum and that they do not go home to a family at the end of the day, That is what happens when one does look at an entire issue, they only see one small segment and come to conclusions based on the myopic POV.

I keep hearing that but it's not true in Knoxville. They started out determined to keep the schools open but it just didn't work. My son in law teaches high school. He started out with 30 kids in his AP class. He got down to 2 because of a combination of kids getting the virus and others around them having to quarantine. The county finally had to close all the schools about a week ago. Part of the problem is that they didn't have adequate ventilation and air exchange. There wasn't any money for the needed changes in the ventilation system. A timely COVID relief package that included money for state and local governments would have been helpful but Republicans don't want any money going for that sort of thing.

I keep hearing that but it's not true in Knoxville. They started out determined to keep the schools open but it just didn't work. My son in law teaches high school. He started out with 30 kids in his AP class. He got down to 2 because of a combination of kids getting the virus and others around them having to quarantine. The county finally had to close all the schools about a week ago. Part of the problem is that they didn't have adequate ventilation and air exchange. There wasn't any money for the needed changes in the ventilation system. A timely COVID relief package that included money for state and local governments would have been helpful but Republicans don't want any money going for that sort of thing.

With the greatest respect, in a similar situation in 2009 in which schools were given big ol' piles-o-money to help with budget shortfalls, ALL of it went to the payroll of teachers and administrators.

The paid of staff cuts was only delayed to the next year.

The chances of a all or even a large percent of Federal Money EVER getting to the issues you cite is about nil.

Do you have a link for the Knoxville issues and response?

With the greatest respect, in a similar situation in 2009 in which schools were given big ol' piles-o-money to help with budget shortfalls, ALL of it went to the payroll of teachers and administrators.

The paid of staff cuts was only delayed to the next year.

The chances of a all or even a large percent of Federal Money EVER getting to the issues you cite is about nil.

Do you have a link for the Knoxville issues and response?
I'm just going by what my daughter and son in law, both teachers, tell me. The tendency of school systems to fritter away money is frustrating. No Child Left Behind was a joke from the viewpoint of actual teachers. Well intentioned as it was, it's main result was hours of paperwork. You're right. The money did get swallowed by raises for administrators. I still think that a program designated to make schools COVID ready could have made a bid difference. The teachers can't so much as open the windows as things are now.

I'm just going by what my daughter and son in law, both teachers, tell me. The tendency of school systems to fritter away money is frustrating. No Child Left Behind was a joke from the viewpoint of actual teachers. Well intentioned as it was, it's main result was hours of paperwork. You're right. The money did get swallowed by raises for administrators. I still think that a program designated to make schools COVID ready could have made a bid difference. The teachers can't so much as open the windows as things are now.

As I grow oder I become more cynical about our educational system.

In the 1960's, American Students were routinely ranked number one in the world based on the quality of their education. We paid top dollar and got top results.

We still pay top dollar. Now our international ranking is in the mid twenties and in the STEM subjects down in the mid thirties.

As an American, paying more for the best is expected. Paying more for the crap we get from our public schools is a swindle.

I graduated from a branch of the University of Minnesota in Duluth, Minnesota. In 2008, they won the Division 2 National Championship in Football.

That same year, the local High School where I lived in Indianapolis completed construction on a Football Stadium that was far nicer than the one at my College Alma Mater.

THEN, in 2009, finding that they were broke, the morons running the township schools called for a big tax increase to cover this stupidity. It was voted down by about a 90 to 10 margin. IDIOTS!

This is the level of incisive thought and planning employed by the people guiding the public education of our children. The problem is thus exposed.

If the intended goal is being achieved and the result is a failure to be at the head of the world-wide class, the goal is wrong. If the failure is ongoing and unaddressed, there is a different problem.

As I grow oder I become more cynical about our educational system.

In the 1960's, American Students were routinely ranked number one in the world based on the quality of their education. We paid top dollar and got top results.

And then Brown v Board of Education happened and the conservatives started doing everything they could to dismantle or damage the public school system, both in terms of reputation and functionality.

And then Brown v Board of Education happened and the conservatives started doing everything they could to dismantle or damage the public school system, both in terms of reputation and functionality.

Too far and too pat, Luce. My state and its purse strings are controlled by Democrats and our public education system has consistently been ranked mediocre to downright terrible. Public schools do not function poorly on account of us conservatives pointing out that many of them are clearly wasting or misusing the taxpayer money that they have been given.

Last edited:
Too far and too pat, Luce. My state and its purse strings are controlled by Democrats and our public education system has consistently been ranked mediocre to downright terrible.
California's school system was sabotaged in the 70's by proposition 13. Property taxes are the funding source for schools.

California's school system was sabotaged in the 70's by proposition 13. Property taxes are the funding source for schools.

You are incorrect in your general assertion, bearpoker. Perhaps in your home state they are funded in such a way. In my state, only one-fifth of school funding comes from property taxes. The majority comes from our states general fund, which is paid via the state income tax, which is the highest in the nation presently. Proposition 13 simply allowed retirees and poor to lower-middle income people who bought homes in up-and-coming areas years ago to keep those homes rather than being sold out from under them at a tax auction.

Last edited:
You are incorrect in your general assertion, bearpoker. Perhaps in your home state they are funded in such a way. In my state, only one-fifth of school funding comes from property taxes. The majority comes from our states general fund, which is paid via the state income tax, which is the highest in the nation presently. Proposition 13 simply allowed retirees and poor to lower-middle income people who bought homes in up-and-coming areas years ago to keep those homes rather than being sold out from under them at a tax auction.

True. Because Prop 13 defunded the schools.
The Serrano decision increased the state’s role in determining public school funding. Voters continued this trend by passing Proposition 13 in 1978. Among other things, this constitutional amendment set a statewide limit on the property tax rate at 1% of assessed value. This caused an immediate and dramatic drop in the amount of local property tax available to support schools. The state legislature stepped in, using a budget surplus to protect schools from what would have otherwise been massive cuts. In doing so, over a period of years the state gained nearly full power over education funding.

True. Because Prop 13 defunded the schools.
The Serrano decision increased the state’s role in determining public school funding. Voters continued this trend by passing Proposition 13 in 1978. Among other things, this constitutional amendment set a statewide limit on the property tax rate at 1% of assessed value. This caused an immediate and dramatic drop in the amount of local property tax available to support schools. The state legislature stepped in, using a budget surplus to protect schools from what would have otherwise been massive cuts. In doing so, over a period of years the state gained nearly full power over education funding.

Indeed. The state gained such control and has had enough funding to provide for all California students. All without local districts being forced to overtax poor rural areas through raising property taxes to intolerable heights as stated in the article.

The whole point is that rich counties with high property values could keep their property taxes low and fund their school districts with little trouble while poor counties with low property values were forced to property taxes to fund their school districts, and still could not meet their needs.

And you would want my state to go back to the prior system that served no one but families fortunate enough to live in the wealthiest counties but made it harder for lower income people to own property if they purchased a home in a poorer county? I think I and practically every other Californian left, right and center would prefer to keep the current system.

Are you asserting that Conservatives constitute the majority of people in our educational systems?

I think I'll need a link for that if this is your thesis.

I suppose all the other leaders of every country in the world are just as bad as Trump

I wish we had New Zealand's president. She did a nice job.

Back
Top Bottom