• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Khan-vs-Trump: Signs of a Cultural Divide

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
In the clash between Khizr Khan and Donald Trump, there are signs of a new cultural divide - one which cannot be won over through logical arguments:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...6e490c-5722-11e6-9aee-8075993d73a2_story.html

Personally, I side with Donald Trump. His proposed ban is meant to prevent the kinds of terrorist acts like the car-bombing which killed US Army Captain Humayun Khan from happening on US soil. But Khan can't see this - he is only full of umbrage at any perceived slight to Islam.

Khan talks about tolerance and equality under law - the very things that are missing from the countries that Trump proposes to ban entry from until a system can be put in place to vet those coming from lands of intolerance.

If I were to stand in front of a typical Muslim audience in a country like Pakistan, and if I were to take out a pocket copy of the US constitution and lecture people on the need for equality under the law - I would not only get booed off the stage, I could be shot dead on the spot.

If all Muslims in the world were like US Army Captain Humayun Khan, there would be no Islamic terrorism problem. We'd all be peacefully and reasonably discussing our differences. But the fact that this terrorism problem exists in the Muslim world, says that not all Muslims are like US Army Captain Humayun Khan.

The Khizr Khans are unable to notice the obvious, and are instead focused on venting anger stemming from ethnic pride onto Donald Trump. Khizr Khan claims that Islam has nothing to do with terrorism - well, terrorists have sought to make their terrorism have something to do with Islam. The rest of us are not mind-readers, and beyond a certain point, the distinction between what Islam has to do with terrorism versus what terrorists say they have to do with Islam becomes indistinguishable.

In the clash between Khizr Khan and Donald Trump, there are signs of a new cultural divide - one which cannot be won over through logical arguments:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...6e490c-5722-11e6-9aee-8075993d73a2_story.html

Personally, I side with Donald Trump. His proposed ban is meant to prevent the kinds of terrorist acts like the car-bombing which killed US Army Captain Humayun Khan from happening on US soil. But Khan can't see this - he is only full of umbrage at any perceived slight to Islam.

Khan talks about tolerance and equality under law - the very things that are missing from the countries that Trump proposes to ban entry from until a system can be put in place to vet those coming from lands of intolerance.

If I were to stand in front of a typical Muslim audience in a country like Pakistan, and if I were to take out a pocket copy of the US constitution and lecture people on the need for equality under the law - I would not only get booed off the stage, I could be shot dead on the spot.

If all Muslims in the world were like US Army Captain Humayun Khan, there would be no Islamic terrorism problem. We'd all be peacefully and reasonably discussing our differences. But the fact that this terrorism problem exists in the Muslim world, says that not all Muslims are like US Army Captain Humayun Khan.

The Khizr Khans are unable to notice the obvious, and are instead focused on venting anger stemming from ethnic pride onto Donald Trump. Khizr Khan claims that Islam has nothing to do with terrorism - well, terrorists have sought to make their terrorism have something to do with Islam. The rest of us are not mind-readers, and beyond a certain point, the distinction between what Islam has to do with terrorism versus what terrorists say they have to do with Islam becomes indistinguishable.

I don't disagree with your point.

I'd simply like to point out that when you cite the Washington Post you are using a source that has effectively declared it's opposition to Donald Trump, and is no longer (if it ever was) a non-biased reporting agency.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...f-11e6-aa14-e0c1087f7583_story.html?tid=a_inl

Khan was bait, a poison pill, Trump should of never took it.
People loose their ****, if you criticize anyone involved with the military and death.

I mean Khan injected himself in a political fight and thus became fair game, but he has the armor of minority status and military.
It's too thick for even Trump.

People loose their ****, if you criticize anyone involved with the military and death.

I mean Khan injected himself in a political fight and thus became fair game, but he has the armor of minority status and military.

I think anyone that decides to throw a verbal punch should be fair game. I don't care if it's the greatest war hero of all time. If they decide to throw verbal attacks at someone they shouldn't be seen as off limits to having them thrown back.

I think anyone that decides to throw a verbal punch should be fair game. I don't are if it's the greatest war hero of all time. If they decide to throw verbal attacks at someone they shouldn't be seen as off limits to having them thrown back.

I agree, but the soggy knees, anti Trump crowd can't help themselves.
They have to constantly proclaim how much anti Trump they are, so they can show how virtuous they are.

Trumpers lol

Ironically if it wasn't for Khan's religion we wouldn't be over there in the first place and his kid wouldn't be dead.

Maybe instead of attacking Trump he should renounce his allegiance to a religion of terrorism, sex slavery and death.

It probably was a set up.

Again, the wife may have declined to speak because she was forbidden to, but we don't know that.

Trump is an ass. He is to easily baited into a discussion he cant win and going after the mother is just disgusting. It has nothing with culture.. but class. Funny how Trump went bat crazy when someone went after his wife, and yet he has no problem going after the mother of a dead American hero? Pathetic.

Also his policy of banning Muslims is idiotic. If you look at the attacks in the west, even in the US... then those that carried out the attacks are born in said country far more often than not.

And if we look at the US specifically, there are far more attacks.. daily on average... from non Muslims .. so when is he going to demand the US bans those people?

Trump is an ass. He is to easily baited into a discussion he cant win and going after the mother is just disgusting. It has nothing with culture.. but class. Funny how Trump went bat crazy when someone went after his wife, and yet he has no problem going after the mother of a dead American hero? Pathetic.

Also his policy of banning Muslims is idiotic. If you look at the attacks in the west, even in the US... then those that carried out the attacks are born in said country far more often than not.

And if we look at the US specifically, there are far more attacks.. daily on average... from non Muslims .. so when is he going to demand the US bans those people?

Why does the fact that her son is a war hero matter at all?

Ironically if it wasn't for Khan's religion we wouldn't be over there in the first place and his kid wouldn't be dead.

Maybe instead of attacking Trump he should renounce his allegiance to a religion of terrorism, sex slavery and death.

The point being made is that because X% of a religious, national, ethnic or racial group is causing crime, mayhem or terrorist acts it is still unconstitutional to ban all members of that group from entering into, or remaining in, the country. Trump should have thanked the parents for their son's military service and for expressing concern over his proposed plan to "temporarily" amend US immigration policy. Trump is an idiot if he thinks that he can insult (personally attack?) any and all who dare to call him a fool or express opposition to his proposed policy changes.

The point being made is that because X% of a religious, national, ethnic or racial group is causing crime, mayhem or terrorist acts it is still unconstitutional to ban all members of that group from entering into, or remaining in, the country. Trump should have thanked the parents for their son's military service and for expressing concern over his proposed plan to "temporarily" amend US immigration policy. Trump is an idiot if he thinks that he can insult (personally attack?) any and all who dare to call him a fool or express opposition to his proposed policy changes.

I agree with you, I am in fact a pretty staunch constitutionalist, that being said I find no redeeming factor to religion, any religion, least of all Islam. The dark ages are over its time to end religion.

The point being made is that because X% of a religious, national, ethnic or racial group is causing crime, mayhem or terrorist acts it is still unconstitutional to ban all members of that group from entering into, or remaining in, the country.

Beloved Democrat President Jimmy Carter banned Iranians from entering the US following the Iranian revolution. No liberal - and there were plenty around even back then - challenged Carter on this.

Carter Banned Iranians from Coming to US During Hostage Crisis | Frontpage Mag

Trump should have thanked the parents for their son's military service and for expressing concern over his proposed plan to "temporarily" amend US immigration policy. Trump is an idiot if he thinks that he can insult (personally attack?) any and all who dare to call him a fool or express opposition to his proposed policy changes.

Trump can exercise whatever right of reply he wishes to - when attacked, he has the right to respond.

At this rate, I'm waiting for the NYC Ground-Zero-Mosque proposal to be revived.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill. This has nothing to do with any "new cultural divide". Nothing.

This is nothing more than a political stunt concocted by the Democrats, with the willing help of a Democratic Muslim, designed to put Trump at a disadvantage...and, with the help of the media, it is working. The Democrats put Trump in a "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" situation. Trump played into their trap. And the media stirs the pot every day to keep the whole thing going.

Believe me, this has absolutely nothing to do with the strawman rhetoric that Mr. Khan uttered.

Why does the fact that her son is a war hero matter at all?

He was a Muslim and a war hero.. and to Donald and his supporters that is impossible, since they want all Muslims banned and hunted. And that is despite that most terror in the US, that effect Americans on a DAILY basis, is done by Americans who are in most cases non-Muslim.

He was a Muslim and a war hero.. and to Donald and his supporters that is impossible, since they want all Muslims banned and hunted. And that is despite that most terror in the US, that effect Americans on a DAILY basis, is done by Americans who are in most cases non-Muslim.

Islam is not just a religion it is a Theocracy that is 100% incompatible with our constitution. You either believe in America or you believe in Islam.

Islam is not just a religion it is a Theocracy that is 100% incompatible with our constitution.

So is Christianity.. your constitution is built on Christianity and the difference between Christianity and Islam in its purest form is almost non existent.

You either believe in America or you believe in Islam.

This comment... mind boggling.... no wonder the US is going down hill so fast with views like this. You would have fitted perfectly in, in Salem or the Spanish Inquisition..

So is Christianity.. your constitution is built on Christianity and the difference between Christianity and Islam in its purest form is almost non existent.

This comment... mind boggling.... no wonder the US is going down hill so fast with views like this. You would have fitted perfectly in, in Salem or the Spanish Inquisition..

Sharia law is mandated by Islam, Sharia law is 100% incompatible with the US constitution. Christianity has no such "Law" and no the US was NOT built on Christianity.

False dichotomy. One can easily believe in both.

Sharia Law and the US Constitution are 100% incompatible. You can not follow both. Period.

You either abandon a part of your religion or you defy the Constitution.

Well said.

It
Again, the wife may have declined to speak because she was forbidden to, but we don't know that.
Possibly, but it is also equally possible that she was willing and able to speak. She then either declined to for personal reasons. Or, those choreographing the presentation (and everything at the RNC and DNC is choreographed) concluded that the father would make a better presentation.

Last edited:

I'm sure that was the hope of the Hillary campaign. March out a guy, who would conceivably be untouchable because of the loss of his son, and allow him to tell complete lies about Trump's positions and question whether Trump knew anything about the Constitution.

How can such a person be ignored? How can such a dirty political tactic go by without response?

This feigned outrage by the minions on the left is laughable, as is the behavior of the people who work for Hillary at the MSM.

That doesn't answer the question.

Back
Top Bottom