• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Khan Calls Out McCain

See my Post #117.

Concerning the bereaved mother's claim about Hillary "lying" to her about Benghazi, from Politifact:

It is impossible to know with certainty what Clinton told these families in brief conversations at a private reception only three days after Benghazi. Some, but not all, family members who have spoken to the media said Clinton mentioned a video or protests in their meeting. Some said she didn’t mention a video. Clinton says she did not.

If she did say something about the video, would it have been an intentional lie? It’s very possible that this is one of the many conflicting pieces of intelligence that the administration was working with at the time.

There simply is not enough concrete information in the public domain for Rubio or anyone to claim as fact that Clinton did or did not lie to the Benghazi families.

THREE DAYS after the Benghazi attack, and you're DEMANDING that Hillary MUST have known the who, what, where, when, how, and why. In a foreign nation, what's more, with a population that would be less than willing to talk - or if they did talk, it would be doggone near impossible to verify what was said in that time frame.

THREE DAYS.

C'mon, now! How long do most "regular" homicide cases take to investigate here stateside???? But you're demanding that Hillary should've been able to have all the answers in freaking Libya in a shorter period of time than most homicide investigations take here in America!

But I get it - you're simply adhering to the right-wing dogma that Thou Shalt Believe ALL Accusations Against Hillary Clinton (or Obama or Bill Clinton or anyone else with a (D) behind their name) no matter what!

So let me get this straight - those American citizens who are Muslim, who have even lost their son who lost his life performing a heroic act serving as a commissioned officer in our military, do not have First Amendment rights?

Last I recall, one of the things we said back in the military was "I may strongly oppose what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Have you forgotten that?

And as to the 'order' part, in the civilian world, can we tell people what we think they should do? Sure...but they are not "lawful orders", are they? They're FREE SPEECH.

NOPE, not at all.

I have all due respect for the son, but ZERO for the father.

Anyone who says they believe Shira(sp) law and the Taliban are good things, has NO RIGHT to say anything, and needs their teeth knocked out with an axe handle.

NOPE, not at all.

Anyone who says they believe Shira(sp) law and the Taliban are good things, has NO RIGHT to say anything, and needs their teeth knocked out with an axe handle.
Have you even read what he wrote and in what contexts? Where did he say he supported Al-Qaeda?

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thought. With our thoughts we make the world.

Have you even read what he wrote and in what contexts? Where did he say he supported Al-Qaeda?

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thought. With our thoughts we make the world.

You make a very good and clear point.

Your last sentence is also quite philosophical.

NOPE, not at all.

RNS, that's just it - very few on the Right even know what Sharia law is. Most of what y'all "know" comes from those who take an extremist view of it. Remember, I wrote a book one time that required me to research the Qur'an - and while doing so I learned that Islam at least as fractured as "Christianity" is, if not more so. There are some sects that take things much more literally than others do. It's as if the "Christian" sects who still want to follow the laws in Leviticus and Deuteronomy have control of some countries, whereas others are like the ones who follow the New Testament, in that Jesus pointed out in so many words that Mosaic law had been fulfilled and so was no longer in effect.

I also found that the Shi'a are in many ways like the Catholics - they believe in a supreme earthly leader (the ayatollah) and use icons and 'holy' symbols. The Sunni, on the other hand, are very much like the protestants - they have no supreme earthly leader, but there are many different sects within Sunni Islam, most of which are unaffiliated with each other. It's very much like the Episcopalians and the Baptists and the Mormons and the Amish and all the other ones, all under the umbrella label of "Sunni Islam".

Now, check this out: The Prophet (s) said, “Beware of extremism in religion. Those who were before you nothing destroyed them except their extremism in religion.”

The site gives a couple good examples:

A simple example: the Prophet (s) prohibited individuals from traveling to areas of non-Muslims or areas of unbelievers carrying the Holy Qur’ān.[57] If we look today however, we find that the Holy Qur’ān is on the shelf of the library of any country in the world, Muslim or not.

In the time of the Prophet (s), the concern was that the Holy Qur’ān time was written by hand in fragments of skins and parchment, etc. and there was fear that the words might be twisted and meanings altered. Today that problem no longer exists, as the Qur’ān has been gathered and formalized, so to travel with the Qur’ān is no longer an issue.

The extremist on the other hand, will declare that the letter of the saying must be obeyed, without taking into consideration the circumstances and reasons for this ruling.

Another example: the Prophet (s) said, “a woman must not travel except accompanied by a relative.” A mufti, examining this issue in detail, finds that in the past, someone traveling alone, through deserts, mountains and forests might face great ordeals. In emphasizing the respect and honor in which women are held, the Prophet (s) asked that she travel with a relative.

Today however, traveling from one place to another is no longer fraught with difficulty. One has complete security and is accompanied by hundreds of fellow passengers in the short time it takes to cover thousands of miles. Therefore there is no longer fear for a woman traveling alone, for she is accompanied by all the people on the plane, whom may be considered as adequate protectors. But the extreme interpretation of the hadith is that a woman cannot travel except with a relative, again emphasizing the literal meaning of the hadith.

If in such minor issues, we see examples of extreme literalism among the non-moderate Muslims, what then when it comes to cutting hands and stoning? These are far more serious issues to consider.

And we see this today: Saudi Arabia does follow a more literal (though not totally literal) version of Sharia law, but most of Islam does NOT. Look at the most populous Islamic nation on the planet - Indonesia - which is "Sunni", just as Saudi Arabia is, but their version of Sunni Islam is much less literal, much less hard-line than Saudi Arabia's is.

In other words, it's a great mistake to see someone claim to follow Sharia law and assume that it's all about chopping off the hands and such. You need to first find out what kind of Sharia law he or she follows. Is it literal? Or not so literal, as is the case in most of the Islamic world? It's like when someone says, "I follow the laws of the Bible" - okay, WHICH laws? The hardline laws in Leviticus, or the much more understanding laws of Jesus and the apostles? Following "Sharia law" is not a hard-and-fast set of beliefs in Islam - far from it!

Note that I make no excuses for the Taliban - but when it comes to Sharia law, that's something that some try to present as a rigid set of laws...but in practice, it's anything but.

The extremist on the other hand, will declare that the letter of the saying must be obeyed, without taking into consideration the circumstances and reasons for this ruling.

Another example: the Prophet (s) said, “a woman must not travel except accompanied by a relative.” A mufti, examining this issue in detail, finds that in the past, someone traveling alone, through deserts, mountains and forests might face great ordeals. In emphasizing the respect and honor in which women are held, the Prophet (s) asked that she travel with a relative.

Today however, traveling from one place to another is no longer fraught with difficulty. One has complete security and is accompanied by hundreds of fellow passengers in the short time it takes to cover thousands of miles. Therefore there is no longer fear for a woman traveling alone, for she is accompanied by all the people on the plane, whom may be considered as adequate protectors. But the extreme interpretation of the hadith is that a woman cannot travel except with a relative, again emphasizing the literal meaning of the hadith.

If in such minor issues, we see examples of extreme literalism among the non-moderate Muslims, what then when it comes to cutting hands and stoning? These are far more serious issues to consider.[/I]

And we see this today: Saudi Arabia does follow a more literal (though not totally literal) version of Sharia law, but most of Islam does NOT. Look at the most populous Islamic nation on the planet - Indonesia - which is "Sunni", just as Saudi Arabia is, but their version of Sunni Islam is much less literal, much less hard-line than Saudi Arabia's is.

In other words, it's a great mistake to see someone claim to follow Sharia law and assume that it's all about chopping off the hands and such. You need to first find out what kind of Sharia law he or she follows. Is it literal? Or not so literal, as is the case in most of the Islamic world? It's like when someone says, "I follow the laws of the Bible" - okay, WHICH laws? The hardline laws in Leviticus, or the much more understanding laws of Jesus and the apostles? Following "Sharia law" is not a hard-and-fast set of beliefs in Islam - far from it!

Note that I make no excuses for the Taliban - but when it comes to Sharia law, that's something that some try to present as a rigid set of laws...but in practice, it's anything but.

100% in agreement

When I was in some local Balkan areas protecting Moslems, they told me they practice "Islam Lite" I thought that was kinda funny, clever, and very accurate.

Then in other areas of the world where they are much more extreme, it was as different as night and day.

With one major difference.

In the Balkans, the Moslems I talked with were quite educated and were independent thinkers.

In other places, it was like they were robots and did whatever their leaders told them without thinking on it at all. They had been brainwashed since birth. That is why there will NEVER be any peace in the Middle East. It is one army of robots attacking another robot army. No one stops to ask why, or even cares why.

This is politics. I don't know if his re-election is secure enough to reject anyone. Is it?

I just watched AZ flip from red to blue in the Presidential race within the past two days. So, McCain may be calculating the pros and Khans at this very moment.

100% in agreement

When I was in some local Balkan areas protecting Moslems, they told me they practice "Islam Lite" I thought that was kinda funny, clever, and very accurate.

Then in other areas of the world where they are much more extreme, it was as different as night and day.

With one major difference.

In the Balkans, the Moslems I talked with were quite educated and were independent thinkers.

In other places, it was like they were robots and did whatever their leaders told them without thinking on it at all. They had been brainwashed since birth. That is why there will NEVER be any peace in the Middle East. It is one army of robots attacking another robot army. No one stops to ask why, or even cares why.

Yeah, we are pretty much in agreement. There won't be peace in the ME, and it's not even because of us or because Israel's there. As part of research for my book, I read a book by a Shi'a named Vali Nasr - you can look him up - he was once a professor at the Naval Postgraduate School and his book "The Shi'a Revival" was recommended reading for Naval officers. Anyway, the most enlightening passage of the book was by al-Qaeda's then-2nd-in-command Zarkawi, who said "Keep up the fight against Israel and the Great Satan America, but never forget that the real enemy are the apostate Shi'a" or words to that effect. Of course, al-Qaeda is a Sunni organization.

There was another passage that pointed out that Shi'a will not name their children "Abdul" because that was the name of the Sunni general who killed a bunch of Shi'a martyrs several centuries ago. To them, it would be sorta like us naming our kids "Judas" - too offensive to even consider.

Anyway, the Zarkawi quote made it fairly plain that you're right - there never will be peace in the ME in our lifetimes, because of the Shi'a/Sunni schism, and because of the smaller-but-every-bit-as-vicious conflicts between different Sunni sects. IMO, it's like seeing two of your friends getting into a fight - you want to stop them, but the moment you step in, they both start hating you, too. The best thing we can do is what China's doing - just do business with both sides, and stay out of the conflicts there as much as possible.

Yeah, we are pretty much in agreement. There won't be peace in the ME, and it's not even because of us or because Israel's there. As part of research for my book, I read a book by a Shi'a named Vali Nasr - you can look him up - he was once a professor at the Naval Postgraduate School and his book "The Shi'a Revival" was recommended reading for Naval officers. Anyway, the most enlightening passage of the book was by al-Qaeda's then-2nd-in-command Zarkawi, who said "Keep up the fight against Israel and the Great Satan America, but never forget that the real enemy are the apostate Shi'a" or words to that effect. Of course, al-Qaeda is a Sunni organization.

There was another passage that pointed out that Shi'a will not name their children "Abdul" because that was the name of the Sunni general who killed a bunch of Shi'a martyrs several centuries ago. To them, it would be sorta like us naming our kids "Judas" - too offensive to even consider.

Anyway, the Zarkawi quote made it fairly plain that you're right - there never will be peace in the ME in our lifetimes, because of the Shi'a/Sunni schism, and because of the smaller-but-every-bit-as-vicious conflicts between different Sunni sects. IMO, it's like seeing two of your friends getting into a fight - you want to stop them, but the moment you step in, they both start hating you, too. The best thing we can do is what China's doing - just do business with both sides, and stay out of the conflicts there as much as possible.

If your book is in publication, I would love to get a copy. I think we might have walked over some of the same sand.

You can PM me with the information if you like.

If your book is in publication, I would love to get a copy. I think we might have walked over some of the same sand.

You can PM me with the information if you like.

Here it is - but it's a fiction book, sort of (in my opinion) like something that Michael Crichton would have written. But in the next several months I'm going to edit it - it's outdated now since some important parts take place in Syria, and the main technical feature in the plot has been made completely obsolete with the advent of CRISPR gene editing technology.

Here it is - but it's a fiction book, sort of (in my opinion) like something that Michael Crichton would have written. But in the next several months I'm going to edit it - it's outdated now since some important parts take place in Syria, and the main technical feature in the plot has been made completely obsolete with the advent of CRISPR gene editing technology.

Thank you,

Will it be in something besides Kindle soon?

Thank you,

Will it be in something besides Kindle soon?

Well, once I finish editing it, I'll be attending the Pacific Northwest Writers Association convention next summer, and meet a couple of agents and an editor and try to sell it in hardcopy. But I don't see any changes happening before then.

Well, once I finish editing it, I'll be attending the Pacific Northwest Writers Association convention next summer, and meet a couple of agents and an editor and try to sell it in hardcopy. But I don't see any changes happening before then.

Good luck. I will be waiting.

Thanks! If I'm able to convince them to sell it, I'll send you a copy gratis.

Thank you again.

For two things...your book, and for motivating me to get off my ass and finish my novel I started a zillion years ago.

Now that I have nothing but time, and plenty of money, I have gotten quite lazy.

I am 1/3 of the way through, but have the complete story outlined.

Time to get busy.

Thank you again.

For two things...your book, and for motivating me to get off my ass and finish my novel I started a zillion years ago.

Now that I have nothing but time, and plenty of money, I have gotten quite lazy.

I am 1/3 of the way through, but have the complete story outlined.

Time to get busy.

What's it about? And don't feel bad - mine took about ten years (and a LOT of patience by the wife). I started writing it while I was still stationed on the Lincoln.

What's it about? And don't feel bad - mine took about ten years (and a LOT of patience by the wife). I started writing it while I was still stationed on the Lincoln.

My typing is terrible since I have the shakes now and have to use a child's keyboard with big keys. Even so, I hit the wrong key about 30% of the time.

Please understand what I am going to tell you is true and really happened to me, and this is what I am basing my story on.

Once in Pasadena I drive into a pawn shop to suck up their air conditioning, and I saw an old 1903A1 Springfield rifle on the shelf.

When they handed it to me to look at, I felt a bit light-headed and closed my eyes and leaned against the counter or I might fall down. It was not due to the heat because I had been in there for a bit before I saw the rifle.

Anyway, that night I had a very vivid dream about a young man from Tenn. who joined the Army and went to the PI in 1940.
It is a story about all the misconceptions people have about others.

his about an old black man working at the mill with him that gives him some good advice before he leaves
and misconceptions he has of the PI, the Army, they of him, the Japanese of us, and so on.

It is not so much a war story, but one of human interactions with peoples of different cultures....and how completely wrong most of their misconceptions are.

the dream was so vivid I wonder if it is even fiction. It might have been his rifle....if you believe in that sort of thing.

My typing is terrible since I have the shakes now and have to use a child's keyboard with big keys. Even so, I hit the wrong key about 30% of the time.

Please understand what I am going to tell you is true and really happened to me, and this is what I am basing my story on.

Once in Pasadena I drive into a pawn shop to suck up their air conditioning, and I saw an old 1903A1 Springfield rifle on the shelf.

When they handed it to me to look at, I felt a bit light-headed and closed my eyes and leaned against the counter or I might fall down. It was not due to the heat because I had been in there for a bit before I saw the rifle.

Anyway, that night I had a very vivid dream about a young man from Tenn. who joined the Army and went to the PI in 1940.
It is a story about all the misconceptions people have about others.

his about an old black man working at the mill with him that gives him some good advice before he leaves
and misconceptions he has of the PI, the Army, they of him, the Japanese of us, and so on.

It is not so much a war story, but one of human interactions with peoples of different cultures....and how completely wrong most of their misconceptions are.

the dream was so vivid I wonder if it is even fiction. It might have been his rifle....if you believe in that sort of thing.

It might not have been a dream per se. There are connections between people. The elderly lady we take care of now (she has dementia), in the three years she's been with us, only once has she ever woken up at night in real distress - it was about 4 in the morning. At the same time, her sister about eighty miles away had died. And of course there's all the stories of incredible coincidences between twins being raised apart, and the times that mothers knew something had happened to their children.

Bearing all that in mind, over the past several years I've come to think that those connections have a physical basis related to quantum entanglement. I know, I know, that sounds like InfoWars-stupid kind of stuff, but there's already a field of study called "quantum biology". There's a lot more to this world than we think. I try my level best to be cynical...but I refuse to allow my cynicism to keep from accepting profound evidence that I can see with my own eyes. When the elderly lady had that episode, and when I listened to my hard-bitten, epically-cynical great uncle describe his near-death experience long before it was commonly heard of as it is today...

...the saying goes that the more one knows, the more one realizes just how much more there is to know. I suspect that's the case with this, too.

It might not have been a dream per se. There are connections between people. The elderly lady we take care of now (she has dementia), in the three years she's been with us, only once has she ever woken up at night in real distress - it was about 4 in the morning. At the same time, her sister about eighty miles away had died. And of course there's all the stories of incredible coincidences between twins being raised apart, and the times that mothers knew something had happened to their children.

Bearing all that in mind, over the past several years I've come to think that those connections have a physical basis related to quantum entanglement. I know, I know, that sounds like InfoWars-stupid kind of stuff, but there's already a field of study called "quantum biology". There's a lot more to this world than we think. I try my level best to be cynical...but I refuse to allow my cynicism to keep from accepting profound evidence that I can see with my own eyes. When the elderly lady had that episode, and when I listened to my hard-bitten, epically-cynical great uncle describe his near-death experience long before it was commonly heard of as it is today...

...the saying goes that the more one knows, the more one realizes just how much more there is to know. I suspect that's the case with this, too.

I think so.

I have since researched and found some psychics get "readings" off of objects someone used to own. Especially metal objects.

That is why I have a funny feeling it just might be a true story, but of course, I cannot prove it.

All I can do is write it. Their story, not mine.

Back
Top Bottom