• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Key marijuana chemical called CBD can no longer be added to food, drinks in NYC

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...cal-called-cbd-can-no-longer-be-added-n968566

The city health department has ordered bars and restaurants not to serve CBD-infused edibles because the chemical has not been determined safe for consumption.

A key chemical in marijuana could spark trouble for a Brooklyn java joint owner who claims to be the first in New York City to have infused coffee drinks with the compound, cannabidoil, or CBD.

Ian Ford, proprietor of Caffeine Underground in the Bushwick section, said business boomed when he started selling CBD Coffee and Trippin’ Tea.
==================================================
CBD is sold in a number of states where its supposed medicinal properties are in demand. But no more in NYC - for the moment, at least.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...cal-called-cbd-can-no-longer-be-added-n968566

The city health department has ordered bars and restaurants not to serve CBD-infused edibles because the chemical has not been determined safe for consumption.

A key chemical in marijuana could spark trouble for a Brooklyn java joint owner who claims to be the first in New York City to have infused coffee drinks with the compound, cannabidoil, or CBD.

Ian Ford, proprietor of Caffeine Underground in the Bushwick section, said business boomed when he started selling CBD Coffee and Trippin’ Tea.
CBD is sold in a number of states where its supposed medicinal properties are in demand. But no more in NYC - for the moment, at least.

Counter Point:

In conclusion, CBD safety profile is already established in a plethora of ways. However, some knowledge gaps detailed above should be closed by additional clinical trials to have a completely well-tested pharmaceutical compound.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5569602/

FFS.

And nobody is going to spend the hundreds of millions of dollars an FDA drug trial costs to prove something they cannot patent is "safe and effective." We know it's safe.

Hmm... why not just call CBD a 'dietary supplement' like all manner of crap sold under that "loophole"?

FFS.

And nobody is going to spend the hundreds of millions of dollars an FDA drug trial costs to prove something they cannot patent is "safe and effective." We know it's safe.

If it were dangerous, I would surely know by now. Aging hippie, been a user since the sixties.

Old joke: they say if you can remember the 60s, you weren't really there.

:happy:

On a serious note, until recently, cannabis in any form has been illegal. Scientists had a lot of difficulty obtaining enough of the various forms to even begin to test its properties. The best, most complete information has only come out within the last few years.

The thread reminds me of when California decided that all coffee sold needed a warning label.

FFS.

I get a kick out of seeing the VA State house on TV. It reminds me of a business trip I took to Richmond to see a clinical researcher who had discovered a therapy, a chemical (vanillin) taken as a drug, that fixed sickle cell anemia. This condition affects black people & is caused by a mutation in the hemoglobin protein that arose in Africa because it makes the owner resistant to getting malaria. The company I worked for manufactured that chemical in huge amounts. But no one was interested in spending a penny on this because we couldn't enforce a patent on the use of this chemical as a drug because anyone could get it from China or elsewhere + getting it through the FDA & clinical trials would cost a fortune. This guy's building was just around the corner from the White House of the Confederacy. Took a walk to the State House & was only 10 feet or so from then Gov. Wilder out for a midday stroll. That was 25 years ago. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Wilder.

Vanillin & Sickle Cell: http://www.bloodjournal.org/content/bloodjournal/77/6/1334.full.pdf?sso-checked=true

Last edited:
I get a kick out of seeing the VA State house on TV. It reminds me of a business trip I took to Richmond to see a clinical researcher who had discovered a therapy, a chemical (vanillin) taken as a drug, that fixed sickle cell anemia. This condition affects black people & is caused by a mutation in the hemoglobin protein that arose in Africa because it makes the owner resistant to getting malaria. The company I worked for manufactured that chemical in huge amounts. But no one was interested in spending a penny on this because we couldn't enforce a patent on the use of this chemical as a drug because anyone could get it from China or elsewhere + getting it through the FDA & clinical trials would cost a fortune. This guy's building was just around the corner from the White House of the Confederacy. Took a walk to the State House & was only 10 feet or so from then Gov. Wilder out for a midday stroll. That was 25 years ago. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Wilder.

Vanillin & Sickle Cell: http://www.bloodjournal.org/content/bloodjournal/77/6/1334.full.pdf?sso-checked=true

I had an argument with my father, who has an M.D. but ultimately went into the pharma business because there was no way to afford raising a family being a professor who saw patients on the side. He had no problem with full legalization of pot, but had a problem with docs prescribing it because it hadn't been through the FDA process (a process I'd heard many complaints about when he was working, but that aside....).

He didn't care for my points that, (a) nobody is ever going to put pot through that rigor for the same reason, (2) so many people have used it for so very long we can at least form some general safety conclusions even if it wasn't administered in a controlled setting, (3) there's no question it's safer than opioids, so why the hell not allow docs to prescribe it despite any remaining unknowns, (4) docs can already prescribe medicines for uses they aren't approved for....far more dangerous ones, and (5) how on Earth does it make sense to support full legalization for any purpose but oppose a doc saying "would you like to try this instead of morphine"? I mean...people know about medical uses already so why would it be worse for a doc to suggest trying it first for pain than someone to go out and do it to get stoned, or self-medicate for pain without doc advice?

Blech.

What bullcrap. How about we call it a plant and let people do what they wish with it? This is the kind of nonsense that pisses me off. I'm in my sixties, let me decide if I want to put CBD's in my system...and I do every day, full spectrum cbd capsules and gummy vitamins.

I had an argument with my father, who has an M.D. but ultimately went into the pharma business because there was no way to afford raising a family being a professor who saw patients on the side. He had no problem with full legalization of pot, but had a problem with docs prescribing it because it hadn't been through the FDA process (a process I'd heard many complaints about when he was working, but that aside....).

He didn't care for my points that, (a) nobody is ever going to put pot through that rigor for the same reason, (2) so many people have used it for so very long we can at least form some general safety conclusions even if it wasn't administered in a controlled setting, (3) there's no question it's safer than opioids, so why the hell not allow docs to prescribe it despite any remaining unknowns, (4) docs can already prescribe medicines for uses they aren't approved for....far more dangerous ones, and (5) how on Earth does it make sense to support full legalization for any purpose but oppose a doc saying "would you like to try this instead of morphine"? I mean...people know about medical uses already so why would it be worse for a doc to suggest trying it first for pain than someone to go out and do it to get stoned, or self-medicate for pain without doc advice?

Blech.

No offense but your pops is an example of where the resistance comes from. Ever see the sanjay gupta specials on cnn about weed? He was one of those doctors who had a negative image of the plant. Why? Because he read papers from other doctors who told him it was bad in their summaries. They like to site the 'rat test' where they put a gas mask on a rat and induced it into smoking like a concentration of a hundred joints. The 'scientists' said it killed the mouse, overdose. In reality, they asphyxiated the poor thing and off to the demonizing races it went as far as medical. Society is finally waking up to the benefits.

I make no qualms about it, I've been smoking weed for probably fifty years on and off and personally I'm sick of hearing the horror stories from people who have no clue what they're talking about. Zero cannabis overdoses, ever. Oh the horrors.

CBD is broadly considered the principle medical component in marijuna, though there's others.

It's sold on it's own (and at a premium) because it doesn't get you high, and it's supposed to have all sorts of healthy effects.

The only reason a move like this makes sense to me is that someone is trying to get a handle on that market. They did the same thing in CA, where they tried to limit the licensing so existing medical dispensaries would dominate sales but they got greedy, and don't like enforcing their own regulations, so today >90% of CA pot shops aren't licensed.

So not only did they not dominate the market, in many cases they are shorting themselves the tax revenue.

Back
Top Bottom