• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ketanji Brown Jackson on the 2nd Amendment

Well it gives lie to the false claim that the Constitution would never have been ratified, were it not for the BoR
Because it was, and years earlier.

As my Internet research showed, the weak bill of rights was promised before any colony had ratified the constitution.

As my Internet research showed, the weak bill of rights was promised before any colony had ratified the constitution.

But it was still ratified

If it was that important, then why not rewrite amendments 1-10 in the Constitution itself
Have a whole section on individual rights.

Define "unsecured" in current law.
Thats just it, how many times has the parent faced no charges when their minor shoots another??? When a firearm is recovered from a criminal that came from a burglary- is the 'legal' owner held accountable???? Current law doesn't hold what would be considered negligence in most other incidents where a fatality occurred. It is time for a new legal standard for negligence where firearms are involved... :unsure:

Simple definitions would include night stand, headboard, closet, on top of a book case or wardrobe. Anyplace not locked inside a metal container. I don't think much of the mini-safes that can be picked up and carried out of the house to be opened later.... ✌️

It also presumes that the individual is being honest. One thing we know for a fact, leftist filth are never honest about anything. It is a symptom of their psychosis.
One thing I'm beginning to believe is fact- many MAGA/Rabid Right ranters have a number of psychosis all their own... ✌️

Many of us welcome more timely prosecution of criminal FFL holders and gun runners. I'd like to see prosecution of firearm owners who leave weapons unsecured so burglars can harvest 'clean' weapons for street crimes.... ✌️
yeah of course you do-you want to punish people who at best are negligent, rather than going after a major democrat party constituency-violent criminals

She didn't actually answer the question. She responded exactly like a lawyer who doesn't want to answer a question.
Bingo!

The question first asked was if she supported the 1st Amendment right for both liberal and conservative protestors, and she said "yes".
The next question was if SHE (her personally) supported the right of individuals under 2nd Amendment protections, and she bypassed a direct yes or no to the question and said the SCOTUS supported it, no mention on if she supported this basic constitutional right. So, 1st amendment she supports, 2nd amendment....well, some other people support it, but she refuses to say if she does or not.

This is a big warning sign.

Prolly should ask a sitting Justice that question, and not someone who hasn't been confirmed.

Just one more example of FrEeDuMbZ$™ though.
Gnarlee American FrEeDuMbZ$™.
So awesome. No other place on earth has such abundant FrEeDuMbZ$™.

You know... talking like that doesn't make others look stupid... more of a reflection on your own level of discourse.

yeah of course you do-you want to punish people who at best are negligent, rather than going after a major democrat party constituency-violent criminals
No, I want people who know the ATF will have an extremely difficult time to punish them for violating the law and be held accountable. (tRump is trying to use the 'regulations are complicated' farce.) They maybe 'at best' but they most likely are knowingly committing felonies. When the Law can interdict the flow of firearms from lax law states to stricter states they find multiple violations. However the ATF is so hamstrung that it takes decades to prosecute, the penalty is a slap on the wrist, and the store stays in business, the violator stays as an employee.... ✌️

One thing I'm beginning to believe is fact- many MAGA/Rabid Right ranters have a number of psychosis all their own... ✌️
We saw some rather rabid dialogue during the last confirmation hearing. Why should this be different? Has anyone improved their manners since?

Thats just it, how many times has the parent faced no charges when their minor shoots another???
That's an issue with the DA not pressing charges.

When a firearm is recovered from a criminal that came from a burglary- is the 'legal' owner held accountable???? Current law doesn't hold what would be considered negligence in most other incidents where a fatality occurred. It is time for a new legal standard for negligence where firearms are involved... :unsure:
Why isn't being locked in the house considered "secured"? It counts for a B&E charge against the criminal.

Simple definitions would include night stand, headboard, closet, on top of a book case or wardrobe. Anyplace not locked inside a metal container. I don't think much of the mini-safes that can be picked up and carried out of the house to be opened later.... ✌️
How would you define it? How would your definition stand in the face of Heller?

That's an issue with the DA not pressing charges. Why isn't being locked in the house considered "secured"? It counts for a B&E charge against the criminal. How would you define it? How would your definition stand in the face of Heller?
Actually, the Sheriff as well- LEOs arrest. It's time to toughen up the statutes when unsecured firearms are used by minors to kill minors.

Firearms aren't TVs. Some states don't even require the owner to report a lost or stolen firearm. That needs to change. Except to a contrarian securing a deadly weapon from criminals and minors should be a requirement especially when their use by criminals escalates the murder rate. Many a 'patriot' demands gang bangers be disarmed but ignore many are being armed by their neighbors (and perhaps even themselves)... :unsure:

Trying to bring Heller into this is a stretch. Heller leaves stand many requirements before a firearm can legally be in a home. Can't have a felon living there. Have to be a certain age to legally possess in your home. A requirement for safe secure doesn't limit ownership- well if the citizen is reasonable... ✌️

Actually, the Sheriff as well- LEOs arrest. It's time to toughen up the statutes when unsecured firearms are used by minors to kill minors.
If the DA doesn't prosecute, the Sheriffs are powerless.
Firearms aren't TVs.
Okay. Knives are deadly weapons. Medicines can also prove deadly. Shouldn't those be treated the same way as firearms by your logic?

Some states don't even require the owner to report a lost or stolen firearm. That needs to change.
Lawful gun owners report their stolen weapons to be able to get an insurance claim paid. Criminals get guns stolen, too, and it would be a 5th Amendment violation to force them to report a lost or stolen gun.

Except to a contrarian securing a deadly weapon from criminals and minors should be a requirement especially when their use by criminals escalates the murder rate. Many a 'patriot' demands gang bangers be disarmed but ignore many are being armed by their neighbors (and perhaps even themselves)... :unsure:
Household theft accounts for a tiny fraction of the guns in the hands of criminals, and those include thefts from criminals who won't obey any law.

Why isn't a secure house sufficient?
Trying to bring Heller into this is a stretch. Heller leaves stand many requirements before a firearm can legally be in a home. Can't have a felon living there. Have to be a certain age to legally possess in your home. A requirement for safe secure doesn't limit ownership- well if the citizen is reasonable... ✌️
If does if the citizen can't afford the level of security demanded by a new law. It would disproportionately affect the poor, and thus disproportionately affect minorities. Heller states that a law can't require that a gun be locked up and unready for use in self defense in the home.

What is sufficient security in your mind?

You know... talking like that doesn't make others look stupid... more of a reflection on your own level of discourse.
Looks like that FrEeDuMbZ$™ thing must have struck a NOIVE.....LOL. Its OK brah, the world isnt laughing at you or anything I was just joking. ;)

If does if the citizen can't afford the level of security demanded by a new law.

If the person is too broke to be able to afford to secure their guns....then they shouldn't have guns. Make sense? Good.

If the person is too broke to be able to afford to secure their guns....then they shouldn't have guns. Make sense? Good.
I still haven't seen what "secure their guns" means from a legal. It does seem that you want to discriminate against the poor, who are disproportionately minority, with regards to the right to keep and bear arms for all lawful purposes, such as self defense in the home.

They can secure their gun by keeping it on their person, or close at hand. That should make you happy.

you want to punish people who at best are negligent, rather than going after a major democrat party constituency-violent criminals
Please present the post# in which @notquiteright made this^ claim. Inability/refusal to do so will only validate you are putting 'your' words in 'his' mouth ( a shoddy debating tactic you use quite often ) , and have therefore conceded the claim is fallacious by default. Thanks

I still haven't seen what "secure their guns" means from a legal. It does seem that you want to discriminate against the poor, who are disproportionately minority, with regards to the right to keep and bear arms for all lawful purposes, such as self defense in the home.

Ensuring that minors can't access them

Ensuring that opportunistic burglars can't either.

Ensuring that minors can't access them

Ensuring that opportunistic burglars can't either.
Securing arms is not in the 2nd.
"U.S. Supreme Court on June 26, 2008, held (5–4) that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to possess firearms independent of service in a state militia and to use firearms for traditionally lawful purposes, including self-defense within the home"

The "right" of every mouth breathing idiot to walk around everywhere with a gun isnt something I place a high value on at all. Nor do I believe thats what some guy in 1700 intended for 2022 America, nor would I agree with it even if it was in fact what was intended.

I, for one, would welcome some comprehensive bans and STRICT Gun Control. Our fabulous Gun Nuts have been allowed to run roughshod over more sane and reasonable citizens for far too long IMO, and a real effort should be made to reign that in IMHO AOC. I support it. (y)

The problem the anti-gunners always dismiss is unaddressed mental illness and resorting to violence as a solution as being the real problem in America....
Nothing wrong with law-abiding, peaceful citizens owning guns. Punishing them with gun bans does nothing to address the bolded above.

Back
Top Bottom