• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Kerry's '72 Army Comments Mirror Latest [title changed]

easyt65

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Ok, for all the people saying what John Kerry said is NOT what he meant, it was just a joke gone awry, Explain THIS, please:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061102/D8L4QH580.html

In 1972, as he (Kerry) ran for the House, he was less apologetic in his comments about the merits of a volunteer army. He declared in the questionnaire that he opposed the draft but considered a volunteer army "a greater anathema."

"I am convinced a volunteer army would be an army of the poor and the black and the brown," Kerry wrote. "We must not repeat the travesty of the inequities present during Vietnam. I also fear having a professional army that views the perpetuation of war crimes as simply 'doing its job.'

BTW: Definition of Anathema -- One that is cursed or damned. One that is greatly reviled, loathed, or shunned.

So back in 1972, Kerry was not only against the DRAFT, but he was against having a voluntary military as well, declaring such a military would be cursed/damned/loathed/WORSE because it would be made up of poor people as well as blacks, and brown people!

Not only was this insulting because he attacked the intelectual make-up of those who would be joining up to serve their country ('you gotta be un-educated/stupid to join up to fight for your country'?!) like he did again recently, but his remark was extremely RACIST as well!
-- I am not twisting his words here - Kerry breaks out the categories of poor AND Blacks and Browns.
-----So, Kerry considered a volunteer military that consisted, in part, of Blacks & browns an 'anathema'?!
--- Tell me Senator, what is the problem with having blacks/minorities in the military?

Kerry betrayed his fellow soldiers during Viet Nam by lying under oath about war crimes he never saw, said he had assisted in the burning of villages, and made an extremely similar remark as the one he just made the other day, creating this latest firestorm, by making insulting and racist comments about the military and those who would join up in a voluntary military to serve their country! He displayed great disdain for the military THEN and has done so numerous times recently (calling our troops 'terrorists' and now - again - 'un-educated'!)

[Please, somebody tell me what the BOTCHED JOKE was in this case back in 1972?! I completely misseed it!]

He insulted the military as well as minorities who would join the military back in 1972, and he attacked and insulted the military the other day by clinging to his same opinion he had back in 1972, that anyone in the military serving their country MUST be stupid! (I wonder if he still has a problem with minorities serving in the military?! Hmmm....)

Kerry has also NOT apologized for his remarks! His handlers and his PR people put out a message on a web page. he insulted the military out in public - make the POS apologize for his remarks in public! A message written by his PR staff don't cut it!

And based on his remarks back in 1972 and the same similar message he is spewing today, no explanation after the fact and in the middle of the sh!t-storm his remarks caused about it all being a botched joke is gonna float! His history, his opinion, and his own words from the past proves this was no joke and no mistake.

Its the same opinion Kerry expressed back in 1972! And THAT is NO JOKE!

Last edited:
Re: '72 Comments tell all - Recent remarks no Botched Joke

Kerry betrayed his fellow soldiers during Viet Nam by lying under oath
So all soldiers regardless of which war betrayed their fellow soldiers if they lied under oath or worst yet seen the murder, rape, beatings and did nothing about it? And Kerry is the poster child for this? Weak. People lie under oath everyday in court whether that be GOP, DEM, Christian, Judaic, Muslim or whatever category they deem.

I can guarantee that most in prolong combat deployments will see something wrong and not report it at all and if they do get questioned will lie to kingdom come--have witnessed it hundreds of times.

As I said and have pointed out, Kerry's story about his recent comments being a botched joke is BS! He simply re-iterated what he said back in 1972, except this time he left out the racist remarks. This time he just stuck with the insult that military members are stupid/un-educated!

easyt65 said:
Ok, for all the people saying what John Kerry said is NOT what he meant, it was just a joke gone awry, Explain THIS, please:

In 1972, as he (Kerry) ran for the House, he was less apologetic in his comments about the merits of a volunteer army. He declared in the questionnaire that he opposed the draft but considered a volunteer army "a greater anathema."

"I am convinced a volunteer army would be an army of the poor and the black and the brown," Kerry wrote. "We must not repeat the travesty of the inequities present during Vietnam. I also fear having a professional army that views the perpetuation of war crimes as simply 'doing its job.'

BTW: Definition of Anathema -- One that is cursed or damned. One that is greatly reviled, loathed, or shunned.

So back in 1972, Kerry was not only against the DRAFT, but he was against having a voluntary military as well, declaring such a military would be cursed/damned/loathed/WORSE because it would be made up of poor people as well as blacks, and brown people!

Not only was this insulting because he attacked the intelectual make-up of those who would be joining up to serve their country ('you gotta be un-educated/stupid to join up to fight for your country'?!) like he did again recently, but his remark was extremely RACIST as well!

Ummm, Where did he point out that they would be stupid? Demographics would also indicate that minorities makes up a higher percentage of the poor, so its not in the least racist. Everyone says, even today, that this is true. It also indicates that they would be less educated (less educated is not equal to stupid). But it is no more racist for him to mention 'black and brown' in this context than it is 'classist' for you to assert they are uneducated and stupid.

He doesn't care if the military is colorful. What he cares about here is that poor people, and by extension black and brown people, will be driven by economic status to join. It will be their unfortunate lot to be disproportionately represented in the count of the war dead, and that is what he's against, here.

This doesn't prove anything about this week's comments.

Regardless of Kerry's meaning this week, Bush's incompetence is the thing that's got us stuck in Iraq. Bush and Co. have been using Kerry's comments to distract from that fact. Bush and Co. are the ones who lied to Congress, thus getting votes for the war and support from the people, that they wouldn't otherwise have gotten. It is Bush and Co. that owes Congress, the People, and especially the Soldiers a big huge abject apology for ill using them. The People and Congress owe the Soldiers an apology for allowing it to happen.

Not me though. I was entirely against the war in Iraq from the beginning.

It, of course is no surprise that the Kerry-apologists attempt to brush his racist and insulting comments under the carpet!

Kerry said poor people would make lousy soldiers. SO, he hates poor people, who are different from un-educated people, and think they wouldn't make good soldiers?!

Ah, so you have to be poor, stupid, and a minority to be in the military?! This just keeps getting better.

Kerry 1st made the assumption that only the poor and minorities would join the military, that all the people who had choices, like his little white elitis Massachussetts butt, would forego the military?! I guess he would be surprised by what kind of people join the military. We have guys who, intellectually, make him look like Barney the Dinosaur, who pass up wealth, fame, and great careers because they are called to serve and defend their country. That would not compute to someone like Kerry who wanted to becoem a politician to serve his contry/constituents but to be above the little people, to steak and take as much as he could, and make moronic statments like he just did from his lofty perch!

He also said in 1972 that having Blacks and Browns in the military would make the military an 'anathema' - that is an elitist term for saying 'blacks (which he seperated from the category of 'poor' in his statement) made up for their own category of ...what...'stupid'....that would make the military bad/worse?!

Spin it anyway that helps you sleep better at night, but the guy's comment back in 1972 was not only bad but it sets the whole scene up for us to look back on throughout his career and see how Kerry REALLY feels about the military and what the people who make it up are like.

I can see why he voted against the money to get our troops the flak vests and the equipment they needed (ya know, the 'I voted it for it before voting against it' BS?!)! You can plainly seen how his disdain for the military has affected his decisions and words through his career!

Did Kerry ever have his PR Staff writer and web page manager write him an excuse and post it for him back in '72 for his racist insults or wasn't the internet even around back then? I forget! :roll:

Loved the 'apology', though!

Dear Cretins, I am sorry you are too stupid, as well, to realize a good democratic Joke when you hear one! I am sorry you have 'misinterpreted' what I believed to be a cleverly veiled attack on our troops, turning it into this PR disaster. It should be obvious that this whole thing is Bush's Fault, Carl Rove's fault, Dick Cheney's fault, and the fault of those ignorant, sensitive wusses in Iraq and Afghanistan who can't take a joke! I'm a 3-time wounded war veteral, for Gosh sakes! I have the scar on my @$$ where I took that grain of rice during that San Pan raid in Viet Nam! Back the F@*& off, you dumb b@stards - it was a JOKE! A friggin 'joke!

--- John Kerry
(via Bubba Andrews, web Page Manager)

BTW - this was HUMOR, not a real story requiring a link, so calm down!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom