• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kerry urges EU to postpone funding ban in Israeli-occupied territories

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Kerry urges EU to postpone funding ban in Israeli-occupied territories | Reuters

(Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry urged the European Union on Saturday to put off a planned ban on EU financial assistance to Israeli organizations in the occupied Palestinian territories, a U.S. official said.
The EU imposed restrictions in July citing its frustration over the continued expansion of Jewish settlements in territory captured by Israeli forces in the 1967 Middle East War.
The guidelines render Israeli entities operating in the occupied territories ineligible for EU grants, prizes or loans, beginning next year.
Jewish settler leaders say the aid they receive from Europe is minimal. But many in Israel worry about possible knock-on effects the EU steps may have on individuals or companies based in Israel that might be involved in business in the settlements, deemed illegal by the international community.

So first there was a law saying that imported products from the occupied territories need to be labelled as such. Later on there was this proposal of a ban towards giving money to the israeli occupied territories for grants and what naught. Now this isn't a ban on israel or anything, just those territories.

Kerry is trying to convince the EU to let him solve the problem himself, his own way. The USA has not been able to make any progress for years with the palestine situation.

Now I don't think the EU should get involved in that situation too. These baby steps towards becoming part of the conversation regarding israel and palestine is stupid if you ask me. The EU should stay out of it. If there is anything to be done, make a permanent ban on all trade with both Israel and palestine until they sort things out one way or the other. Or continue trade agreements with both. But go full swing one way or the other. Not grovel in bit in by bit, nibbling on the edges like a frightened *****cat. Dangling their feet in the water.

Kerry urges EU to postpone funding ban in Israeli-occupied territories | Reuters

So first there was a law saying that imported products from the occupied territories need to be labelled as such. Later on there was this proposal of a ban towards giving money to the israeli occupied territories for grants and what naught. Now this isn't a ban on israel or anything, just those territories.

Kerry is trying to convince the EU to let him solve the problem himself, his own way. The USA has not been able to make any progress for years with the palestine situation.

Now I don't think the EU should get involved in that situation too. These baby steps towards becoming part of the conversation regarding israel and palestine is stupid if you ask me. The EU should stay out of it. If there is anything to be done, make a permanent ban on all trade with both Israel and palestine until they sort things out one way or the other. Or continue trade agreements with both. But go full swing one way or the other. Not grovel in bit in by bit, nibbling on the edges like a frightened *****cat. Dangling their feet in the water.

Or maybe the solution is to let the EU take over the situation. Why should the Americans do it. Let Germany guarantee Israels safty.

Or maybe the solution is to let the EU take over the situation. Why should the Americans do it. Let Germany guarantee Israels safty.

Why would you want the EU to handle that mess? How would you go about it?

I don't see why we are giving any aid to developed nations at all, not least those as determined to stick two fingers up to the developed world as Israel.

I don't see why we are giving any aid to developed nations at all, not least those as determined to stick two fingers up to the developed world as Israel.

Because Israel has always been under siege and democracies should help each other.

Back
Top Bottom