• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kerry Says EU Membership Magnifies Britain's Global Role

sudanesia

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
LONDON - Britain's membership of the European Union magnifies its role on the global stage, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Tuesday, arguing that both Britain and the bloc were stronger when working together.
"A strong and united Europe that includes Great Britain is a stronger Europe and a stronger partner," Kerry told reporters in London just a few weeks after President Barack Obama visited the capital to urge Britons to stay in the EU.
"President Obama and I are both convinced that there is a great strength for Great Britain to be able to continue its role of leadership. We believe that membership magnifies Britain's role."
Britons vote in a referendum on whether to stay in the 28-member bloc on June 23, a decision with trade, investment, defence and political ramifications that stretch far beyond Britain's borders.
With just weeks to go, and with Britons evenly split over the issue according to polls, politicians from around the world have started weighing in with their opinions.
President Obama made some of the strongest remarks when he visited Britain in April, saying Britain would be at the "back of the queue" for a U.S. trade deal if the country left the EU.
In contrast Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said last week he thought Britain would be better off outside the bloc.
Kerry, in Europe this week for meetings with counterparts, said he was not seeking to interfere in the vote, but said the U.S. had an interest in the outcome because it worked so closely with Britain.
"It's a partner and our special relationship plays out in many ways," he said. "But we respect the choice of the voters and they will listen to a broad array of thoughts. Ours is one opinion."
source: sudanvisiondaily.com

LONDON - Britain's membership of the European Union magnifies its role on the global stage, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Tuesday, arguing that both Britain and the bloc were stronger when working together.
"A strong and united Europe that includes Great Britain is a stronger Europe and a stronger partner," Kerry told reporters in London just a few weeks after President Barack Obama visited the capital to urge Britons to stay in the EU.
"President Obama and I are both convinced that there is a great strength for Great Britain to be able to continue its role of leadership. We believe that membership magnifies Britain's role."
Britons vote in a referendum on whether to stay in the 28-member bloc on June 23, a decision with trade, investment, defence and political ramifications that stretch far beyond Britain's borders.
With just weeks to go, and with Britons evenly split over the issue according to polls, politicians from around the world have started weighing in with their opinions.
President Obama made some of the strongest remarks when he visited Britain in April, saying Britain would be at the "back of the queue" for a U.S. trade deal if the country left the EU.
In contrast Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said last week he thought Britain would be better off outside the bloc.
Kerry, in Europe this week for meetings with counterparts, said he was not seeking to interfere in the vote, but said the U.S. had an interest in the outcome because it worked so closely with Britain.
"It's a partner and our special relationship plays out in many ways," he said. "But we respect the choice of the voters and they will listen to a broad array of thoughts. Ours is one opinion."
source: sudanvisiondaily.com

There is no doubt in my mind that leaving the EU is the wrong move. Opting in, however, must not be seen as accepting the EU's striving for deeper Union. Remaining in and working with like minded countries for a less intrusive EU reduced to the functions of a common sphere of lightly coordinated economic activity and a free market, is the way to go.

Kerry has an interest in making those comments, so I think a Britain exit still boils down to a willingness to deal with an EU temper tantrum if they go. We know there will be various impacts but it is not clear exactly what the degree is of those impacts to economics, trade, defense, cooperation against common enemies, etc.

I think Britain should exit, get a few things back in their control instead of the bureaucratic nightmare that the EU has become.

From my personal opinion, as each person or group of persons can distinguish their mind and resolution, also each State or group of States have the right to excellence and thinking of traveling alone.
I do not mind taking the opinion of third parties if necessary, without domination and imposition of opinion.

Back
Top Bottom