• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Kerry calls for filibuster of Alito

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I just heard on CNN That "Lurch" Kerry has called for a filibuster of Judge Alito....

Lets see what the gang of 14 moderates does now........

If the democratic obstructionists filibuster I hope Senator Frist institutes the Nuclear option.......

He's not going to be filibustered, and even if he was, the Democrats don't have the votes to stop cloture.

Gee, I wonder if someone is posturing for another run at the presidency? :thinking

KCConservative said:
Gee, I wonder if someone is posturing for another run at the presidency? :thinking

Lets hope.

Of course, he'll claim he supported the fillibuster before he opposed it.

KCConservative said:
surprise surprise.

He is pandering the far left wing of the dmeocratic party for 2008........It is so easy to see through his motives......

Kandahar said:
He's not going to be filibustered, and even if he was, the Democrats don't have the votes to stop cloture.

I am watching the hearings on CSPAN2 as I type this and the unofficial vote is 54-31 for confirmations..........

4 republiucans have not voted yet so that would make 58 including 3 dems.......It would be up to the gang of 14 moderates then to get the 60 votes.........

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
I am watching the hearings on CSPAN2 as I type this and the unofficial vote is 54-31 for confirmations..........

4 republiucans have not voted yet so that would make 58 including 3 dems.......It would be up to the gang of 14 moderates then to get the 60 votes.........

But remember that some of the people who might vote against his confirmation would still vote for cloture.

Kandahar said:
But remember that some of the people who might vote against his confirmation would still vote for cloture.

Your right.........7 democrats...........

I just heard on the news that Kerry's filibuster will backfire on him.......Senator Reid the minority leader although he voted against Alito said that he would vote for cloiture and would advise the other democrats in the senate to do so also.....Looks like its Kennedy and Kerry obstructing at the moment.........What else is new?:roll:

So the waffle king and the bridge inspector are leading the attempt to bring the senate to a halt. I geuss the senior senator from Massachusetts didn't do enough driving Alito's wife to tears and getting him all that sympathy.So now he wants to help even more.

Kandahar said:

I go back and forth on the filibustering of Alito myself. It's a hard decision for Dems.

Part of me would like them to make a stand, even though they would lose, to prove a point.

The pragmatic part of me understands that Alito is in either way, why risk the "nuclear option" and alienating your consituency if you are a Senator from a red state. It's the "live to fight another day" philosophy.

For at least the next year, the GOP can change or disregard the rules of the Senate at will, with no threat of repercussion until the 06 elections. That's why Byrd is backing Alito. Byrd's philosophy is that he represents his constituency back in WVA, as opposed to someone like the late Paul Wellstone, who voted his conscience even when he knew that his constituency might not like it.

hipsterdufus said:
I go back and forth on the filibustering of Alito myself. It's a hard decision for Dems.

Part of me would like them to make a stand, even though they would lose, to prove a point.

The pragmatic part of me understands that Alito is in either way, why risk the "nuclear option" and alienating your consituency if you are a Senator from a red state. It's the "live to fight another day" philosophy.

For at least the next year, the GOP can change or disregard the rules of the Senate at will, with no threat of repercussion until the 06 elections. That's why Byrd is backing Alito. Byrd's philosophy is that he represents his constituency back in WVA, as opposed to someone like the late Paul Wellstone, who voted his conscience even when he knew that his constituency might not like it.

The Senate is not known for speed or eficiency.Anything that unnecessarily slows it down even more should not be tolerated.
The opponents of judge Alito are ideologues.They would vote against anyone a conservative President nominated.
The Republicans love the idea of the two most self important left wing democrats .Trying to, in desperation, block judge Alito's confirmation.

Navy Pride said:
I just heard on CNN That "Lurch" Kerry has called for a filibuster of Judge Alito....

This is what Kerry is really doing because he was really humiliated in 04.

kerrystantrum.jpg

Lades and gentlemen, Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito.

:bravo:

KCConservative said:
Lades and gentlemen, Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito.

:bravo:

Here, here and the president socked it to the left again.......I love it......

Navy Pride said:
Here, here and the president socked it to the left again.......I love it......
He may have, but it wasn't his intention. He picked who he thought was best for the job. That's the president's duty.

Navy Pride said:

Lets see what the gang of 14 moderates does now........

If the democratic obstructionists filibuster I hope Senator Frist institutes the Nuclear option.......

It is sad for the democratic party these days, really it is. THey tried everything because they are beholding to their base to at least attempt an appearance of resistance to the Alito nomination.

If anything it really shows the impotence of the democratic party. All their villainization of Bush, & Alito went nowhere.

In fact all the villainization of Bush for years has NOT stuck, & in fact has backfired on the democratic party leadership more than anything!

The democratic party is in absolute disaray because of their efforts to spend their time on destroyng Bush.

Bush came across very well last night when he gave his state of the union address, & looked stronger than ever.

I would say that unless the democratic party gets busy, & decides to spend its time with more worthy projects instead of trying to destroy Bush, ..they are gonna be in big trouble in 08', & probably are going to lose again.

Mainstream voting America is sick, & tired of watching, & seeing the democratic party's obstruction, & villifying of all things that have to do with president Bush because they are so obcessed with destroying his presidency.

I'am more convinced than ever that the modern democratic party is living in an alternate reality state after listening to Ted kennedy's rant while he was trying to oppose the Alito confirmation!

His words about ''slavery", & how that issue has not been settled yet??? Who in the hell is a practicing slave holder these days..? What a whacko!:smile:

Or implying that children with asthma are going to die if Alito is confirmed??

The Democratic party leadership has NO clue on how they really sound; & i really believe they are on their way down the toilet.

People are tired of the scare tactics, fear peddling, & the villainizing of others in order to promote the democratic party, & keep it from extinction.

The truth is, it has all backfired on the democrats, & we are witnessing their death throes before our very eyes.

They ARE in deep trouble!;)

Stu Ghatze said:
In fact all the villainization of Bush for years has NOT stuck, & in fact has backfired on the democratic party leadership more than anything! The democratic party is in absolute disaray because of their efforts to spend their time on destroyng Bush. Mainstream voting America is sick, & tired of watching, & seeing the democratic party's obstruction, & villifying of all things that have to do with president Bush because they are so obcessed with destroying his presidency.

Well said. The democrats have put their entire platform in one basket and it's called "Destroy President Bush." It hasn't worked and America has seen through it. They bring no fresh solutions to the table, only their hate, contempt and invented scandals.

Back
Top Bottom