• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kentucky infectious disease expert who pushed mask-wearing dies of COVID-19

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

A Kentucky infectious disease expert who forcefully led local calls to wear masks has died after a four-month battle against COVID-19.

Dr. Rebecca Shadowen, 62, had been a vocal advocate for mask-wearing from the very early stages of the coronavirus pandemic reaching the US, posting about it on social media, her family told NBC.

She was also a leading member of the Bowling Green-Warren County Coronavirus Workgroup when she fell ill herself in May, believing it came from an infected caregiver treating an elderly relative.

Even after she fell sick, Shadowen continued working for the local taskforce — repeatedly pushing for a local mask ordinance, colleagues at her workplace, the Medical Center at Bowling Green, told NBC.
==================================================
I've got 2 appointments this week at the local hospital & this kind of news makes me somewhat apprehensive.

A Kentucky infectious disease expert who forcefully led local calls to wear masks has died after a four-month battle against COVID-19.

Dr. Rebecca Shadowen, 62, had been a vocal advocate for mask-wearing from the very early stages of the coronavirus pandemic reaching the US, posting about it on social media, her family told NBC.

She was also a leading member of the Bowling Green-Warren County Coronavirus Workgroup when she fell ill herself in May, believing it came from an infected caregiver treating an elderly relative.

Even after she fell sick, Shadowen continued working for the local taskforce — repeatedly pushing for a local mask ordinance, colleagues at her workplace, the Medical Center at Bowling Green, told NBC.
I've got 2 appointments this week at the local hospital & this kind of news makes me somewhat apprehensive.
How did she contract it if she was following her own recommendations?

Abusing a death to try to score moronic political points. How perfectly Trumpist of you.
No dumbass, it’s called wanting to be informed.

No dumbass, it’s called wanting to be informed.

Tsk tsk
, getting personal.

Anyway, are you seriously saying you did not understand anything that has been said about preventative measures?

Clue: mask's main puropse is to stop YOU from transmitting COVID to someone else via exhaled water droplets. It only provides limited protection from getting COVID. Social distancing provides protection. Cleaning your hands provides protection. But nothing guarantees you won't get COVID.

This is why your attempt to score points by "asking" how she could possibly die from COVID if she followed her own recommendations was as ugly as it was daft.

Oh, fer****sakes......here we go again with the uneducable. How many times do we need to tell you people that wearing a mask does not protect the wearer? It's meant to protect others.

Tsk tsk, getting personal.

Anyway, are you seriously saying you did not understand anything that has been said about preventative measures?

Clue: mask's main puropse is to stop YOU from transmitting COVID to someone else via exhaled water droplets. It only provides limited protection from getting COVID. Social distancing provides protection. Cleaning your hands provides protection. But nothing guarantees you won't get COVID.

This is why your attempt to score points by "asking" how she could possibly die from COVID if she followed her own recommendations was as ugly as it was daft.
Yea, I apologize. Don’t know why you felt it necessary to attack me. I genuinely want to know if there’s something else I need to know to protect my wife and I.

Tsk tsk, getting personal.

There are people who are just plain stupid and cannot be taught anything.

Oh, fer****sakes......here we go again with the uneducable. How many times do we need to tell you people that wearing a mask does not protect the wearer? It's meant to protect others.
Wearing a mask isn’t the only guideline.

Yea, I apologize. Don’t know why you felt it necessary to attack me. I genuinely want to know if there’s something else I need to know to protect my wife and I.

Move to Antarctica. No Covid there, yet.

The mask is to prevent you from infecting other people. Basic masks are less effective as a preventative. So it was more likely someone around her not taking precautions.

This has been said thousands of times now.

Do you really not see how "How did she contract it if she was following her own recommendations?" sounds? I'm sure I've seen something exactly like that already here, used by someone to attack recommendations for avoiding COVID.

And I'm also finding it just about impossible to swallow the idea that you thought that following recommendations provides a guarantee that you won't get COVID. There is no guarantee. The recommendations are designed to reduce transmission in a tolerable way. That's all.

Do you really not see how "How did she contract it if she was following her own recommendations?" sounds? I'm sure I've seen something exactly like that already here, used by someone to attack recommendations for avoiding COVID.

And I'm also finding it just about impossible to swallow the idea that you thought that following recommendations provides a guarantee that you won't get COVID. There is no guarantee. The recommendations are designed to reduce transmission in a tolerable way. That's all.
Ok.

Four months! Yow!

Actually, a reasonable question that should be looked at.
Hopefully someone close to her will come forward and let us know how. It might be helpful.

Actually, a reasonable question that should be looked at.
It's not just that you people are incapable of learning something the cult demands you not learn it's that you keep coming back over and over to show us that. You're not even aware of the not-small number of nurses and doctors who've died from this disease even when they'd taken full precautions with all types of PPE on the job.

Four months! Yow!
We have so many patients with Covid now. Long after they test negative, many are still in ICU. Screw covid and the bat it flew in on.
In almost 4 decades of ICU nursing, I have never seen anything like this. I especially have not seen my coworkers become seriously ill from patients at work. Many ICU's have summer downtime. No flu, less pneumonia. We are busier than ever because of Covid. We are hoping that mask mandates will continue an we can have some time to recover from the onslaught of covid.

We have so many patients with Covid now. Long after they test negative, many are still in ICU. Screw covid and the bat it flew in on.
In almost 4 decades of ICU nursing, I have never seen anything like this. I especially have not seen my coworkers become seriously ill from patients at work. Many ICU's have summer downtime. No flu, less pneumonia. We are busier than ever because of Covid. We are hoping that mask mandates will continue an we can have some time to recover from the onslaught of covid.
Well said!

I can't speak to Covid this Fall, but I believe the flu season itself will be mild. The mitigation many of us are doing for Covid is applicable to many other infectious diseases. My family hasn't had one of us sick all year! It's a record!

It's not just that you people are incapable of learning something the cult demands you not learn it's that you keep coming back over and over to show us that. You're not even aware of the not-small number of nurses and doctors who've died from this disease even when they'd taken full precautions with all types of PPE on the job.
It's very interesting. How is it that you orate authoritatively of that which you know nothing.

Well said!

I can't speak to Covid this Fall, but I believe the flu season itself will be mild. The mitigation many of us are doing for Covid is applicable to many other infectious diseases. My family hasn't had one of us sick all year! It's a record!
That is what we are hoping. The cool thing is that at work and school....people coming in sick will be (mostly) a thing of the past (at least for a few years)....so the spread of flu that way will be curtailed.` With any luck, flu shot use will be up as well. The way things are now, I can still see covid packing our ICUs even during the holidays. We are 7 months in and are still rationing N95's.
:(....our level 2 masks are in short supply as well. We have plenty of those flimsy masks. I actually fear for the safety of healthcare providers if these two diseases mash up.

Rest in peace.

Unfortunately masks are not 100% effective, but they do reduce the chance of virus transmission by a significant amount, especially when both people who are close together are wearing them. If you are wearing one and someone close by is not the risk to you increases substantially.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully someone close to her will come forward and let us know how. It might be helpful.

It's likely they don't know. They might be able to make some guesses, but that's all it will be.

Back
Top Bottom