• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kenneth Starr. Oh the irony

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
So Kenneth was the fishing lawyer that was hired to investigate the Clinton's supposed whitewater scandal...couldn't find anything so kept shifting the goalpost of his investigation claiming scandal here... scandal there. Nothing stuck until he got a stain on monica Lewinsky's dress.

Now he's president of Baylor university. He had bill Clinton impeached because he dug and dug and dug until he found a sex scandal. Now president Kenneth Starr loses his job for basically ignoring sex crimes happening under his reign.

So Kenneth was the fishing lawyer that was hired to investigate the Clinton's supposed whitewater scandal...couldn't find anything so kept shifting the goalpost of his investigation claiming scandal here... scandal there. Nothing stuck until he got a stain on monica Lewinsky's dress.

Now he's president of Baylor university. He had bill Clinton impeached because he dug and dug and dug until he found a sex scandal. Now president Kenneth Starr loses his job for basically ignoring sex crimes happening under his reign.

as he should. it is his job as student president to protect the students on campus and to investigate
reported sexual misconduct. if he isn't doing his job or is covering up what is going on then he needs to be
fired.

Clinton was impeached for lying to Congress, not for taking advantage of a young, star-struck girl.

If this wasn't such serious stuff, I'd be LMFAOing!

Good for Baylor doing the right thing - Louisville could use a few pointers on how to be mature and responsible leaders of men and women.

I think it's ironic that a Bernie fan would start this thread while it's entirely likely that he's going to vote to put Bill Clinton back in the White House later this year.

The Democrat Party could use a few pointers on how to be mature and responsible leaders of men and women.

I knew that name sounded familiar.

Ok, anyway, your premise is factually incorrect. President Clinton was NOT impeached over a sex scandal. He was impeached for perjury.

I knew that name sounded familiar.

Ok, anyway, your premise is factually incorrect. President Clinton was NOT impeached over a sex scandal. He was impeached for perjury.

Yes yes... impeached for lying...about the sex scandal.

Yes yes... impeached for lying...about the sex scandal.
*About* is irrelevant. Lying under oath is lying under oath. And he's a smart guy, he knew better. One could also say he was impeached for being too arrogant and thinking he was above the law.

*About* is irrelevant. Lying under oath is lying under oath. And he's a smart guy, he knew better. One could also say he was impeached for being too arrogant and thinking he was above the law.

He shouldn't have lied. He shouldn't have cheated on his wife. But however you play it out, it was about the poltics of one party trying to embarrass another for political gain. Nothing else. It was about the sex.

He shouldn't have lied. He shouldn't have cheated on his wife. But however you play it out, it was about the poltics of one party trying to embarrass another for political gain. Nothing else. It was about the sex.
It was about getting Bill Clinton. The sex aspect was just the opportunity that presented itself, then he played right into their hands by making the boneheaded blunder of lying under oath. Focusing on the sex aspect is just trying to minimize his lying under oath.

I though Clinton was impeached for lying under oath?

What was the impeachment for again?

Isn't "Irony" when used in the modern sense generally: a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result?

I ask in order to make the following point: I find that it is usually the people most obsessed with the supposed morality morality of others that have the most and ugliest skeletons in their closets. So it makes perfect sense to me that Starr would ignore sex crimes happening under his watch. Just like it made perfect sense to me that a Republican politician who spent his life hating gay people gets caught trying to pick up gay sex in a bathroom. (See also: Ted Haggard).

I though Clinton was impeached for lying under oath?

Technically yes, but I don't think that really affects his point.

The investigation was a purely political sham and finally stumbled on something that would put him in the very difficult position of blowing up his marriage (potentially) on the national stage or lying under oath. While that doesn't excuse the crime, it can still function as an indictment of the investigation and Starr.

Sort of like Benghazi and how they accidentally stumbled upon the email server business.

The investigation was a purely political sham and finally stumbled on something that would put him in the very difficult position of blowing up his marriage (potentially) on the national stage or lying under oath. While that doesn't excuse the crime, it can still function as an indictment of the investigation and Starr.

Sort of like Benghazi and how they accidentally stumbled upon the email server business.

Maybe I don't understand the point then. Starr was appointed by 3 DC Circuit Court judges to investigate Whitewater and it went from there. If Clinton had not lied under oath during his deposition, then the political opponents he had in Congress wouldn't have had a reason to impeach him. That was all on Clinton - not Starr. The sitting US President shouldn't lie under oath. I know it's been popular for the last 20 years to go after Starr, but he did what he was appointed to do.

And I'm unclear what any of that has to do with the football coach at Baylor not handling allegations of sexual assault properly, and Starr being President not handling it the way others wanted it handled. That seems to be happening a lot at colleges these days, and the Presidents are taking the heat for it. I struggle to connect what happened that involved Clinton with what happened at Baylor recently.

1. Starr was appointed to replace someone who was already investigating Whitewater
2. Starr found evidence of perjury prior to Lewinsky, regarding Clintons testimony about Whitewater
3. Starr didnt have anyone impeached. He investigated and reported his recommendations to the House
4. That he failed to find anything substantial early, when we all know now what was happening, means that either he was incompetent or Clinton was clever. We know Clinton lied straight to our faces on television, so Im guessing its more the latter

At least get the facts right.

Except we know now that it was much worse. Sort of like Benghazi and the email server business. Maybe it starts as a political sham, but it finds out it was actually worse than they thought.

I'm not so sure he had to do much digging to uncover the Lewinsky deal. If I remember correctly Linda Tripp pretty much outed the whole thing herself.

1. Starr was appointed to replace someone who was already investigating Whitewater
2. Starr found evidence of perjury prior to Lewinsky, regarding Clintons testimony about Whitewater
3. Starr didnt have anyone impeached. He investigated and reported his recommendations to the House
4. That he failed to find anything substantial early, when we all know now what was happening, means that either he was incompetent or Clinton was clever. We know Clinton lied straight to our faces on television, so Im guessing its more the latter

At least get the facts right.

Puhleeze. Starr was a tool used for payback for Nixon. Starr had no business investigating Clinton's dick and bill had no business being a ****ing sleaze who cheated on his wife.

But even though bill is a cheating sleaze bucket, wtf does any of that have to do with what Starr was "supposedly" hired to do? That's right nothing. Hiw does an investigation go from whitewater to travel gate to Lewinsky?

What Starr was REALLY hired to do was to keep rooting around until he could find anything that the gop could hold over Clintons head so they could have their whitewater as well.

Puhleeze. Starr was a tool used for payback for Nixon. Starr had no business investigating Clinton's dick and bill had no business being a ****ing sleaze who cheated on his wife.

But even though bill is a cheating sleaze bucket, wtf does any of that have to do with what Starr was "supposedly" hired to do? That's right nothing. Hiw does an investigation go from whitewater to travel gate to Lewinsky?

What Starr was REALLY hired to do was to keep rooting around until he could find anything that the gop could hold over Clintons head so they could have their whitewater as well.

The saddest part is that our public is so ill-informed that they didn't even notice.

Republicans were very foolish to neglect to change the guard along the various segments of their dirty political attacks, but it paid off thanks to the ignorance and gullibility of the public.

I'm not so sure he had to do much digging to uncover the Lewinsky deal. If I remember correctly Linda Tripp pretty much outed the whole thing herself.

Very true. I've always wondered what prompted Tripp to do this. Did she have delusions of a big dollar book deal or something? I dunno. Even still, it had nothing to do with Starr's investigation on whitewater. Starr's response to Linda should've been, "so what? Go tell the Washington Post."

It's funny watching how people on this topic all the sudden think theyve turned into legal scholars and use that as a way to throw ticky tack crap to turn a blind eye to the politics of politics.

Holy ****, Rob. Talk about rewriting history.

Can you provide some evidence to prove that he was appointed by a 3-judge panel in the DC circuit to investigate Whitewater and the allegations from more than one woman as a "payback for Nixon", please?

Back
Top Bottom