• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Kennedy hypocracy vs Alito

Kennedy, & Biden BOTH should not be talking about things that "might" suggest racist views, & or bigotry??

Both of them OWN some property whereas local community bi-laws from home owners associations that forbid the selling, or buying to "undesireables", ..or any other groups that these associations feel are not worthy enough to allow into their community.

Nice code words, ..but not very wisely veiled for bigotry & racism in practice.

Where are the media on this; .."OH No", not those two leading men & fighters of civil rights equality???;)

Perhaps the senate should consider kennedy & Biden's worthyness of continuing to represent diversity while sitting in judgement of others, ..as they condemn "others" for the REAL sins that they actually have committed themselves.

Last edited:
aps said:
His character immediately after the accident was bad, but I find his explanation very plausible. I have been in situations where I was so shocked, it paralyzed me.

Okay, Okay, from here on out (in this thread), I'll let you get your disgust towards him off your chest and validate your feelings. I do understand your dislike for him.

so you would have no problem with me if i was loaded and ran your kids down in the street?
or only after i consulted with a lawyer and had a script writer prepare a 'heartfelt apology'

They killed the Wrong KENNEDY
he is a national disgrace and his actions disgust me

alphieb said:
All of the Senators have a job to do with making sure that Judge Alito is a fair nominee for Supreme Court Judge. I don't think that makes anyone look like an idiot.The Republicans would do the same if the tables were turned. If the Judge and the wife can't take the heat for a lifetime position, they should not be there in the first place. If the Judge would lie about some group he placed on a job application or a group he belonged to then maybe a liar should not be Supreme Court Judge.

You're right. These nominees are deeply researched by those in Congress who will consent or not to his confirmation. Alito was also researched by the President's people before Bush nominated him. His past must be studied and examined because he may hold one of the most important posts in our Government. I am not defending Ted Kennedy, don't care anything about him, but somebody in Congress needs to ask Alito questions such as did he agree with the bigoted views of an organization of which he was a member. I don't think Alito is a bigot, I think he is a good man like Lindsay Graham said. But any nominee who is discovered to be should be thrown out, because we can't have a bigot protecting our rights in this country. And if Orin Hatch and Lindsay Graham are put off by tough questions they will just have to cry about it to Sean Hannity like they did today.

Stu Ghatze said:
Both of them OWN some property whereas local community bi-laws from home owners associations that forbid the selling, or buying to "undesireables", ..or any other groups that these associations feel are not worthy enough to allow into their community.

Could you post something showing this? It may be true, but you got this information from Sean Hannity today, so verification from a reasonable source would be appreciated.

tryreading said:
Could you post something showing this? It may be true, but you got this information from Sean Hannity today, so verification from a reasonable source would be appreciated.

I will TRY. No...I did NOT hear it on Hannity. Even IF I did, ..WHAT makes you think Hannity cannot be relied on for accuracy. Has he been successfully SUED for giving out deliberate FALSE info?;)

Besides, ..do YOU honestly BELIEVE that the many many CLOSED, private social clubs that the two big hypocrites (KENNEDY & BIDEN) belong to are OPEN to ALL racial groups other than WEALTHY, PRIVELEGED WHITE MEN??

Stu Ghatze said:
I will TRY. No...I did NOT hear it on Hannity. Even IF I did, ..WHAT makes you think Hannity cannot be relied on for accuracy. Has he been successfully SUED for giving out deliberate FALSE info?;)

Besides, ..do YOU honestly BELIEVE that the many many CLOSED, private social clubs that the two big hypocrites (KENNEDY & BIDEN) belong to are OPEN to ALL racial groups other than WEALTHY, PRIVELEGED WHITE MEN??

Then where did you hear it? ("Even if I did...").

As far as Hannity, his daily radio show is a three hour commercial for the GOP. There is only positive about his party, negative about the other, with rare exceptions. If you see a guy on TV hawking herbal cures, he only talks positively about his product, but you have to question his honesty, right? I do. I would never buy the product unless my doctor, a reasonable source, verified that it worked.

I have no problem with Alito.

I think he will do a fine job.

Sincerely.

Stinger said:
Hold on Babbalou, maybe the going off the bridge just happened, but what he did afterwards did NOT just happen, he choose to do what he did which was leave her in that car in that cold water to drown. He could have gotten help and he chose not do that didn't just happen. Then he chose to lie about it that didn't just happen. And what pray tell do you think Kennedy learned from this? That he is privleged and can get away with manslaughter because of who he is, that's they only lesson I see out it.

Yes, Stinger, I have heard it all. He was able to get out of this scott free because of his name. And as I have said, I can forgive him because I like him.

But just leaving a woman to die a horrible death is not.

Based on what he says, he tried to go back to get her, and I believe him. That would be my instinct too and, I believe, almost everyone else's instinct.

Tom Delay is a very articulate politican. I understand Jack the Ripper must have been very articulate too.

When I say articulate, it's that I like the way he conveys his positions on issues when he is on a talk show or speaking on the floor. I can't say that I like the way he is carrying himself in the Alito hearings. He's being an a$$hole, and I don't like it.

He rode his brothers coat-tails. He is a blowhard of not very high intelligence and without any character.

Okay. That is your opinion. I can respect that.

You should but I will make note of it the next time you condemn a Republican for something far less egregious.

Yes, please do that. Just because I may condemn DeLay now for certain things that he has done does not mean I will condemn him 30 years later. So remember that when you're making note of my condemnation. ;)

Are you kidding? When did he take responsiblity for her death, for leaving her to die?

I posted the transcript of a speech he gave in January 1969. It's somewhere in this thread.

That's amazing. But then I bet you excused Bill Clinton too.

Of course. I love the guy. :lol:

aquapub said:
3 things:

1) I don't think judges ARE supposed to have no opinions or be unbiased. I want my judges to think a lot and have a multitude of opinions. The question is whether they can put their views aside and follow the Constitution or not-which Alito has proven himself able to do by voting 2 out of 3 times AGAINST abortion restrictions on the third circuit. Conservatives usually aren't the ones who have the problem following the Constitution. We don't believe in a "living Constitution" like liberals do.

The Constitution is timeless and rarely-if ever needs adaptations. It is a blueprint for how to and who should have the power to solve any given problems. It was brilliantly written, and those of us who believe in it so much (usually conservatives) are not a threat to its integrity.

Moreover, one of the most powerful Democrats in the senate right now is a judge who was impeached and disbarred for taking bribes for rulings. Again, disrespecting the honor and duty of being a judge is a problem of the left, not the right.

2) Ginsburg had memberships in some pretty radical feminist groups, but she always refuses to recuse herself from related cases...and the same liberals who care so much about Alito have never expressed any concern for that.

3) I will never take seriously racial criticisms from a party that would put a former Klansman in a leadership position.

aquapub, those are excellent points. That is what I was thinking when I made my comment (your comment #1), so thank you for clarifying that (and it will help me to articulate that point better in the future). At first I was bothered that Alito did not recuse himself in the Vanguard case, but when I heard more facts about how the issue came before him, I understood.

aps said:
I don't know whether he was part of a group that refused to allow women, but I see that as a little different than not wanting women and minorities.

Of course you do.

Additionally, Kennedy isn't seeking to get a lifetime appointment as an impartial judge. There is a difference, Stinger.

That's not the point, for him to sit up there and throw out these baseless accusations, and they were totally debunked later, when he himself was a member of a group that was ACTUALLY discriminatory shows the self-serving hypocrit that he is.

Plus, he may have set aside any past prejudices he has, and he wants to be sure that Alito has as well.

No that's not what he was doing with his bomb throwing.

Now, the smearing of Rehnquist regarding the racial covenant, there was other evidence demonstrating a possible bias.

We're talking about THIS evidence and I well imagine the other evidence was just as bogus. The fact is Kennedy and Biden tried to smear him and some on the ball reporters found out they had the same "evidence" in thier own personal life.

Again, a judge is supposed to be UNBIASED, and it is the Senate Judiciary Committee's responsibility for determining whether there is bias, particularly when there is evidence of such (even just the appearance of it) in the nominee's past.

And they should stick to just that instead of these totally distasteful smear jobs they engage in. You simply can't exuse what Kennedy and Biden put this honorable man through, they could have done their homework BEFORE the hearings and in private but they specifically choose the public forum to throw out inuendou and suppostition and McCarthy type guilt by association. It was shameful.

aps said:
You all are so ridiculous. I doubt any one of you should be throwing stones, but if it makes you feel better to condemn someone for the rest of their life because of an accident, then go right ahead. The anger you all display about Kennedy indicates that he has a lot of control over your emotions.

It's not the accident, it's what he did after the fact.

Go hear just to read from the official record such thins as

- See Police diver John Farrar's testimony suggesting that Mary Jo Kopechne survived for as long as two hours in the submerged automobile by breathing a pocket of trapped air. - Learn how Senator Kennedy spent the nine hours after the accident attempting to cover-up his involvement, while Mary Jo Kopechne was left to die in his submerged automobile.
- Read the scenario developed by Detective Bernie Flynn, one of the officers who investigated the accident
- View Senator Kennedy's history of traffic violations.
- Learn why George Killen , the State Police Detective-Lieutenant who investigated the accident,[SIZE=+1] [/SIZE]said that Senator Kennedy "killed that girl the same as if he put a gun to her head and pulled the trigger."

http://www.ytedk.com/

KCConservative said:
Even aps realized how ridiculous it was to compare Ted's drowning of the young woman to Laura Welch's accident. The two don't compare. Now who's being partisan?
That would be you. Thanks.

In yet another sign that Kennedy's hypocracy (as well as another of his prominent attributes) has not gone unnoticed, The Economist titled this story,

"The brainbox and the blowhards"

and went on to write,

TED KENNEDY is deeply troubled by the ethics of the Supreme Court nominee. Between 2001 and 2006, Samuel Alito, who is currently an appeals court judge, accepted $7,684,423 in “donations” from special interests who perhaps wanted the law tweaked in their favour. That included $28,000 from defence contractors, $42,200 from drug firms and a whopping $745,373 from lawyers and law firms.

No, wait. Those are Senator Kennedy's conflicts of interest—or, rather, a brief excerpt from a long list compiled by the Centre for Responsive Politics.

Source.

aps said:
I read through his entire speech. This only confirms why I like him so much. He expresses himself with lots of emotion. He apologized to the people of Massachusetts. It's no wonder they forgave him. People LOVE it when politicians apologize for bad behavior and don't give an excuse for why they did what they did. They also don't like politicians who never apologize.

Where does he applogize for what he really did? Where does he take responsiblity for what he really did? Where does he plead gulity to a felony which he committed?

aps said:
Again, a judge is supposed to be UNBIASED, and it is the Senate Judiciary Committee's responsibility for determining whether there is bias, particularly when there is evidence of such (even just the appearance of it) in the nominee's past.

I thought about your comment in defense of Kennedy and the Dems on the Senate Judiciary committe after watching the hearings on replay last night and this morning.

For three days the Dems led by Kennedy threw their baseless smears at and very honorable man. They made accusations based on associations they tried to create and did not even do the reaserch that so easily blew their smear out of the water.

Now you say it's their job to make these determinations. But when the panel of judges who have worked with Alito some for over 20 years, from both ends of the political spectrum appear to inform the committed of Alito's fine service KENNEDY DID NOT EVEN SHOW UP. And Leahy and Durbin put their tails between their legs and refuse to even talk to them. Proving all they wanted out of these hearings was a change to smear Alito.

What an outrage. It is time we stop having these hearings and allowing Democrats to smear good honorable people all for their own political grandstanding.

libertarian_knight said:
It was my understanding, that unlike Kennedy's Owl Club, that Alito's wanted not to prohibit women and minoriteis into the Club, but rather into the SCHOOL.

Alito's club did not want quota's that's all, Laura Ingraham was PRESIDENT of the club. Kennedy's BANNED women, they banned membership based on sex. But how telling how if it's a liberal such acts are defended.

How about the Augusta Country Club and the liberal outrage and threats of boycotts of members company's and CBS? But if it is Kennedy and his club, then it's OK.

It is amazing how dumb liberals think the American people are. The liberal special interest groups also have no imagnation. They used the same accusations against judge Alito they used against judge Roberts. They seemed to forget you can only cry wolfe so many times befor people stop listening.
Its also amazing how forgiving the leftwing feminists can be to senator Kennedy. His misstreatment of women includes his first wife,Joan.Who has been driven to alcoholism. Politics above humanity.

JOHNYJ said:
It is amazing how dumb liberals think the American people are. The liberal special interest groups also have no imagnation. They used the same accusations against judge Alito they used against judge Roberts. They seemed to forget you can only cry wolfe so many times befor people stop listening.
Its also amazing how forgiving the leftwing feminists can be to senator Kennedy. His misstreatment of women includes his first wife,Joan.Who has been driven to alcoholism. Politics above humanity.

Bottom line is the left is always saying how dumb President Bush is but every time there is a confrontation he beats them handily whether it be prescriptions drugs, tax cuts, supreme court judges or elections he kicks their butts every time........

How sweet it is.........

Navy Pride said:
Bottom line is the left is always saying how dumb President Bush is but every time there is a confrontation he beats them handily whether it be prescriptions drugs, tax cuts, supreme court judges or elections he kicks their butts every time........

How sweet it is.........

Social Security reform? Bush yeilded and lowered his tax cuts (meaning he was forced to alter his agenda), like that? Harriet Miers? Gay Marriage Amendment? Assault Weapons Ban?

Every time must not mean every time huh?

libertarian_knight said:
Social Security reform? Bush yeilded and lowered his tax cuts (meaning he was forced to alter his agenda), like that? Harriet Miers? Gay Marriage Amendment? Assault Weapons Ban?

Every time must not mean every time huh?

I will give you the SS one and down the road young people are going to pay big time for not changing the system.....

Event like 9/11/01, 2 wars, and the biggest natural disater in the history in this country might of had something to do with the Tax thingy.......

I truly believe Meirs was submitted as a smoke screen.......

The gay marriage issue was a brilliant tactic prior to the elections.....Got him many votes......He knew there would never be one though.......

I think a lot of his own party was against that.....

You can't win them all my friend..........

If Alito makes it in (and he will) it's not too much skin off my nose. I'm neither a woman nor a minority.

YNKYH8R said:
If Alito makes it in (and he will) it's not too much skin off my nose. I'm neither a woman nor a minority.

Typical self-centered man.

libertarian_knight said:
It was my understanding, that unlike Kennedy's Owl Club, that Alito's wanted not to prohibit women and minoriteis into the Club, but rather into the SCHOOL.

trying to keep Princeton all male is no more sexist than women at Skidmore and Vassar who were upset when those two schools started admitting "men"

Stinger said:
Reporting on a story in the Washington Times this morning Drudge has the following

" The eight-term senator belonged to an all-male social club -- the Owl -- at Harvard University. The Owl refused to admit women until it was forced to do so during the 1980s, according to records kept by the HARVARD CRIMSON, the student newspaper."

Of course Kennedy's office, and I'm sure the leftest here will do the same, tried that old baseless excuse "well it was different".

" "No one can question Senator Kennedy's commitment to equality, justice and civil rights," said Laura Capps.

Oh yeah, how about the justice he showed on a certain bridge one night?

And let's not forget how Kennedy tried to smear Rhenquist because he once owned a home on land that had an old racial convenent on it, and the press quickly showed that the Kennedy family owned land with a racial convenent, as did Biden who had joined in on the smear.

When will someone say to the Democrats "have you no shame"?

I find it incredibly ironic that the almost all-white, all-male Senate goes after Alito for his membership in a group that promotes an all-white, all-male vision for Princeton. I do think it's a valid point though.

The only thing funnier was Biden's Princeton hat, visions of Spector and Kennedy working out together in the gym (I sense a plot line for Brokeback II)and Senator Cornyn calling Alito "Scalito" twice.

Of course the point is that any Senator could be voted out of office at any time, and SCOTUS is a lifetime appointment. Therefore SCOTUS nominees should be held to a higher standard.

As Woody Allen said - "I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member."

As Woody Allen said - "I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member."
I think Woody Allen stole this line from Groucho Marx.

Back
Top Bottom