• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Keep Your Politics Private, My Fellow Generals and Admirals

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

We must not compromise our military’s special role in democracy, nor hinder those who come after us....

defense-large.jpg

Simpleχity;1066168166 said:

We must not compromise our military’s special role in democracy, nor hinder those who come after us....

defense-large.jpg

But, what would you say? Should the President be allowed to use his elected position to say that a nominated candidate to run for the Presidency is not electable? I thought that is as bad for very similar reasons.

Good luck with that. A politicians job #1 is to get reelected. Job #2 is to keep his party in power.

Wow - I thought their job was to govern wisely, uphold the constitution (and its laws) and fairly represent the people.

Simpleχity;1066168166 said:

Thing is, there's always some senior military brass who insert themselves into politics. Gen. MacArthur - who complained publicly how Truman wouldn't let him drop the Bomb on the North Koreans - became a Republican hero at the time. More recently, the Marine Commandant publicly complained about Obama's ending of Don't-Ask-Don't-tell and allowing gay marriage in the military, saying that it was going to "damage unit cohesiveness".

BUT as much as I disapprove of active-duty military getting involved in politics (unless they're being ordered to do that which is strictly unconstitutional and morally reprehensible e.g. torture), I have zero problem with retired military getting involved in politics - besides, being retired Navy myself, that'd be pretty hypocritical of me if I opposed retired military being involved in politics, wouldn't it?

Wow - I thought their job was to govern wisely, uphold the constitution (and its laws) and fairly represent the people.

pffft....whatever. Gain power...keep power....reward your friends. That's the Republocrat motto.

Thing is, there's always some senior military brass who insert themselves into politics. Gen. MacArthur - who complained publicly how Truman wouldn't let him drop the Bomb on the North Koreans - became a Republican hero at the time. More recently, the Marine Commandant publicly complained about Obama's ending of Don't-Ask-Don't-tell and allowing gay marriage in the military, saying that it was going to "damage unit cohesiveness".

BUT as much as I disapprove of active-duty military getting involved in politics (unless they're being ordered to do that which is strictly unconstitutional and morally reprehensible e.g. torture), I have zero problem with retired military getting involved in politics - besides, being retired Navy myself, that'd be pretty hypocritical of me if I opposed retired military being involved in politics, wouldn't it?

There's a difference between questioning decisions and supporting/opposing candidates....

I dont want to see any Generals, and that includes retired, selling POTUS candidates at a convention, with PERHAPS a very rare exception or two.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom