• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Katie Couric’s Producer Confirms Her Team Skirted Federal Gun Laws

Samhain

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Katie Couric's Producer Confirms Her Team Skirted Federal Gun Laws

Stephanie Soechtig, the director, producer, and writer for Katie Couric’s scandal-plagued anti-gun documentary “Under The Gun,” confirmed in a statement to The Federalist today that her production team skirted federal gun laws governing interstate gun purchases.

During an interview with The Lip TV, Soechtig stated that one of her producers, a male from Colorado, purchased three handguns and a rifle from a private, non-licensed individual in Arizona and that a background check was never required. Federal law states that all interstate gun purchases must be processed by a federal firearms licensee (FFL). Under federal law, FFLs must confirm that prospective buyers have passed federal background checks prior to transferring ownership of guns to those buyers.

Maybe the problem with gun laws is nobody enforces them, so what's the point? Reminds me of David Gregory having illegal magazines in his possetion, on TV, in Washington D.C., but as this violates federal law, clearly its a bigger issue.

Maybe the problem with gun laws is nobody enforces them, so what's the point? Reminds me of David Gregory having illegal magazines in his possetion, on TV, in Washington D.C., but as this violates federal law, clearly its a bigger issue.

How is a non-FFL violating a federal law that applies only to FFLs any reflection on one who bought a gun from them? This is not much different than folks that buy or sell marijuana (in sanctuary states) without fear of federal prosecution. You make a good point that a federal law which is not (often) enforced, like lying on form 4473, is fairly useless.

How is a non-FFL violating a federal law that applies only to FFLs any reflection on one who bought a gun from them? This is not much different than folks that buy or sell marijuana (in sanctuary states) without fear of federal prosecution. You make a good point that a federal law which is not (often) enforced, like lying on form 4473, is fairly useless.

I believe they are stating that all interstate purchases much go through an FFL, so since the buyer/seller are residents of different states, the transaction is by default an interstate purchase.

I believe they are stating that all interstate purchases much go through an FFL, so since the buyer/seller are residents of different states, the transaction is by default an interstate purchase.

The non-FFL seller sold within their state of residence (AZ) and, as far as I know, has no duty to ask the buyer for ID.

The non-FFL seller sold within their state of residence (AZ) and, as far as I know, has no duty to aak the buyer for ID.

The seller didn't violate the law. The buyer did. If they knowingly went out of state to buy a firearm with the intent of bringing it back they broke the law.

The non-FFL seller sold within their state of residence (AZ) and, as far as I know, has no duty to ask the buyer for ID.

Didn't think willful ignorance was a valid excuse. I would think a non-FFL seller would simply ask to at minimum CYA. In either case, the buyer clearly violated the law.

The seller didn't violate the law. The buyer did. If they knowingly went out of state to buy a firearm with the intent of bringing it back they broke the law.

That darned gun show loophole again. ;)

Didn't think willful ignorance was a valid excuse. I would think a non-FFL seller would simply ask to at minimum CYA. In either case, the buyer clearly violated the law.

Do you expect the DOJ to arrest those that agree with them on wanting tougher gun laws? They have far bigger fish to ignore like the agents (and dealers) involved in fast & fuzzy. ;)

None of this make sense, since no FFL was involved how are any FFL related laws been violated?

buyer and seller were from different states, so its an interstate sale, which require FFL dealers.

None of this make sense, since no FFL was involved how are any FFL related laws been violated?

The laws are all with regard to the transfer of a firearm. While some of the laws require the use of an FFL to facilitate the transfer there are still laws regarding transfers without an FFL. For example, if you and I are engaged in a private, intrastate transfer and I tell you that I'm a felon you would still be breaking the law if you sold me a gun.

“Absolutely not!” the licensed gun dealer said during a phone conversation on Monday afternoon. “We’re talking about federal law here. If you are not an Arizona resident, you cannot legally buy a gun here without going through an FFL.”

“An Arizona FFL can process a long gun purchase and the background check for an out of state buyer,” he said. “Otherwise, an FFL in the buyer’s home state has to process the transaction.”

Out of state purchasers can buy long guns as long as the transaction is through an FFL. However, to purchase a handgun the purchases must go through the buyers home state FFL. Money could have exchanged hands for the handguns but legally they had to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer's home state.

Multiple federal gun laws were violated including straw sales, purchasing a gun for someone other than yourself, and conspiracy to commit a crime.

Then when confronted they changed their story. Liberal idiots think they didn't break the law. What morons...

Back
Top Bottom