• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kasich looking to challenge Trump in Repub Primary...Who else?

Finch

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Kasich is looking to challenge Trump in the primaries in 2020, who will be the other possible Repub challengers? Will Trump make it out of the primaries? I would definitely consider voting for Kasich in the general election...

john-kasich-president-2020

I'll vote for pretty much any other Republican over Trump. Trump is better than nearly all Democrats, but he's a bottom of the barrel Republican that needs to learn how to be more diplomatic in his speech and demeanor.

Kasich is looking to challenge Trump in the primaries in 2020, who will be the other possible Repub challengers? Will Trump make it out of the primaries? I would definitely consider voting for Kasich in the general election...

At this point in time, I don't see any serious challengers. Trump is too entrenched within the GOP, and non-Trumpers have been driven off.

Trump's challenge will come from the Dems.

I suspect the only reason Romney ran for the Senate is to prep for a 2020 challenge to Trump. IF Trump runs again and I seriously have my doubts that he does.

I'll vote for pretty much any other Republican over Trump. Trump is better than nearly all Democrats, but he's a bottom of the barrel Republican that needs to learn how to be more diplomatic in his speech and demeanor.
That Kasich is already running tells all you need to know about the man. Kasich would not even carry Ohio over any Democrat that should win the Democrat nomination.

I will take effective diplomacy over diplomatic. MAGA

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Open borders Kasich wouldn't stand a chance in the Republican primary. He's just another immature malcontent bad loser. However, if he ran as an independent he possibly could bleed off some Republican votes.

Good luck.

I hope there's some silent "moral majority", some "Principled Conservatives", left in the Republican Party. But I'm not holding-out hope. I believe many-if-not-most have been driven off.

if Trump is still in office in 2020, he will be the nominee. his supporters are like teenagers dating the bad boy idiot. it's them against the world, and he is oh so dreamy. i don't see Kasich having much of a chance.

I suspect the only reason Romney ran for the Senate is to prep for a 2020 challenge to Trump. IF Trump runs again and I seriously have my doubts that he does.
Perhaps. But he almost had no other choice, if he wanted to remain relevant.

Good luck.

I hope there's some silent "moral majority", some "Principled Conservatives", left in the Republican Party. But I'm not holding-out hope. I believe many-if-not-most have been driven off.

Well, considering we had a choice between Trump and the Death Star in the last election, many of us would prefer something more palatable.

You know, as R's go, we probably couldn't do much better. I don't think the GOP will have it though. They are too high on all that MAGA the brown hoardes are coming nonsense to ever embrace a guy with some actual depth.

That Kasich is already running tells all you need to know about the man. Kasich would not even carry Ohio over any Democrat that should win the Democrat nomination.

I will take effective diplomacy over diplomatic. MAGA

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I will take a Republican as the president over Trump getting the ticket again and losing the election. Unless Trump can improve his popularity he should be challenged. We can't hand the presidency over to the Democrats.

Good luck.

I think within the Republican base many support Trump's policies. However, they will take another Republican over Trump. In many primaries Trump won the ticket based on a plurality of votes. The Republicans were foolish to have so many on the primary race ballots.

At this point in time, I don't see any serious challengers. Trump is too entrenched within the GOP, and non-Trumpers have been driven off.

Don't confuse driven off with lying in wait. If Trump weakens, challengers will come out of the woodwork.

Perhaps. But he almost had no other choice, if he wanted to remain relevant.

At his age and financial station in life, the only thing I can see that 'relevance' would count for is another run for the presidency.

Kasich would get killed in the primaries as the GOP is now firmly the party of trump. The Trumpkins will come out in drives to support their dear leader.

Well, considering we had a choice between Trump and the Death Star in the last election, many of us would prefer something more palatable.
I may not fully agree (there's nothing that would ever get me to vote for a man like Trump), but I do understand the motivation.

I will take a Republican as the president over Trump getting the ticket again and losing the election. Unless Trump can improve his popularity he should be challenged. We can't hand the presidency over to the Democrats.

I think within the Republican base many support Trump's policies. However, they will take another Republican over Trump. In many primaries Trump won the ticket based on a plurality of votes. The Republicans were foolish to have so many on the primary race ballots.
I think I might agree, though I'm no pollster or statistician that can read the minds of the GOP rank & file.

I'm no Republican and not enamored with many of their policies, but I would take Pence in a heartbeat over Trump. I'd do anything to bring dignity & decorum back to the White House, be it Republican or Democrat.

I really wish I could remember who said this, but I listened to a podcast in which somebody made a good point. He said that in order for somebody to successfully challenge Trump he or she must have a compelling personal backstory. The thing about Trump is that he himself is compelling (compelling for awful reasons, but compelling nonetheless), and there's also the point that he has something nearly all other candidates do not: cultural ubiquity going back decades. Imagining that all factors in 2016 are equal (and they're not, obviously, but just go with it), what will be required is another candidate that has a compelling personality or backstory and a certain mount of "cultural ubiquity." I don't know which Republican candidate that describes, but it's certainly not Kasich.

And as for a Democratic candidate? While I've always held up the Kamala Harris banner here, if the statement that a candidate must have cultural ubiquity and a compelling story is true, then that really only leaves one obvious choice: Beto O'Rourke.

Last edited:
Don't confuse driven off with lying in wait. If Trump weakens, challengers will come out of the woodwork.
That may be possible. I was thinking in terms of the rank & file voters, though. But, I hope you're right.

I may not fully agree (there's nothing that would ever get me to vote for a man like Trump), but I do understand the motivation.

I would've gone third party in the last election, but the thought of Hillary in the WH literally made me vote for Trump. I knew what we'd be getting, and I'll bet that most of his most ardent detractors here did too, if they were paying attention. I do think some of those detractors weren't paying attention, and now just spout whatever their favorite media sites offer. It has become virtually a sin here at DP to simply state one's opinion without some talking head offering a link as if to validate an individual opinion, which makes no sense whatever to me.

At his age and financial station in life, the only thing I can see that 'relevance' would count for is another run for the presidency.
Alright, that might be a reasonable argument.

I really wish I could remember who said this, but I listened to a podcast in which somebody made a good point. He said that in order for somebody to successfully challenge Trump he or she must have a compelling personal backstory. The thing about Trump is that he himself is compelling (compelling for awful reasons, but compelling nonetheless), and there's also the point that he has something nearly all other candidates do not: cultural ubiquity going back decades. Imagining that all factors in 2016 are equal (and they're not, obviously, but just go with it), what will be required is another candidate that has a compelling personality or backstory and a certain mount of "cultural ubiquity." I don't know which Republican candidate that describes, but it's certainly not Kasich.

And as for a Democratic candidate? While I've always held up the Kamala Harris banner here, if the statement that a candidate must have cultural ubiquity and a compelling story is true, then that really only leaves one obvious choice: Beto O'Rourke.

I agree about Beto. He looks more and more and more like a Bobby Kennedy type figure. And that is perfect for the Dems.

You make a great point about having a compelling backstory.

I agree about Beto. He looks more and more and more like a Bobby Kennedy type figure. And that is perfect for the Dems.

You make a great point about having a compelling backstory.

I wish it was my point, but combined with the point about Trump having "cultural ubiquity," I instantly knew that whoever said it was right.

Romney represents the worst of the republicans. Complete corporate guy for businesses only.

Would much prefer to see Kasich (or Romney) as the 2020 GOP nominee rather than The Donald. But the issue (as always) will be about campaign war chests and financial support. As it stands now Trump as the incumbent will get the big donors. Money wins elections and Kasich (or Romney) would struggle to compete.

That said. If the Democrats can simply put anything approaching an attractive/non-polarizing candidate in 2020 they should be able to win the White House. The "Hillary factor" was a huge contributor to the Donald Trump victory in 2016.

Back
Top Bottom