• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

_Sal

DP Veteran
Reaction score
somewhere across the border in the great North
Political Leaning
Liberal
this was a discussion at work today...karma isn't just an eastern philosophy any more

what does it mean to you?

is it real?

have you ever experienced it, witnessed it?

this was a discussion at work today...karma isn't just an eastern philosophy any more

is it real?

Why isn't it just an Eastern Philosophy any more? I don't believe that's real but there is no way to prove or disprove its existence. How could it be witnessed? Something good or bad happens to a person because of something they did in a previous life. I don't see how that could be witnessed.

Why isn't it just an Eastern Philosophy any more? I don't believe that's real but there is no way to prove or disprove its existence. How could it be witnessed? Something good or bad happens to a person because of something they did in a previous life. I don't see how that could be witnessed.

do you believe karma is only about previous lives?

I thought karma was this:

Good things come to those who do good things.
Bad things come to those who do bad things.

A "what goes around comes around" sort of thing.

I speak of having good karma all the time.

I think there's something to it, but it might just be a frame of mind in general.

When I seem to make lots of green lights in a row when I'm driving, I tend to think it might be good karma, especially when I've let a few people before go first at stop signs, or given them space in merge lanes.

I'm open to being wrong on all that though.

I think there's something to it, but it might just be a frame of mind in general.

When I seem to make lots of green lights in a row when I'm driving, I tend to think it might be good karma, especially when I've let a few people before go first at stop signs, or given them space in merge lanes.

so for you it is a direct result of your current behavior?

is it real?

In Old Testament Judaism if you followed the laws of the lord, you were blessed. If not, you were cursed. Examples of God's blessings and curses can be found in Deuteronomy chapter 28.

is it real?

Can't say ive ever witnessed it. Bad things happen. If they only happened to bad people, id say there's karma. But such is not the case. Maybe karma comes to us in our NEXT life.

do you believe in a next life?

Im open to the possibility. It helps me understand how a young child is born who knows nothing but pain until its short little life is over. I sometimes think we're at a theme park, and we choose our lot in life next tine around.

I'm going to be an attorney. I'll live in San Diego. Plan to compost. No pets so I can travel. ;)

I think there is a song about that. :mrgreen:

It just seems to me that when you focus on doing good things, and you focus on being positive, that often times you receive the same kind of positive things in return.

That's not to say some shitty things don't happen to good people, but generally, I believe what I see.

Im open to the possibility. It helps me understand how a young child is born who knows nothing but pain until its short little life is over. I sometimes think we're at a theme park, and we choose our lot in life next tine around.

I'm going to be an attorney. I'll live in San Diego. Plan to compost. No pets so I can travel. ;)
yes after much reflection, I'm there

It just seems to me that when you focus on doing good things, and you focus on being positive, that often times you receive the same kind of positive things in return.

That's not to say some shitty things don't happen to good people, but generally, I believe what I see.
me too :thumbs:

do you believe it is so for your life?

Yep, and it works according to the laws of God / the Bible. When I do what's right things go well, but when I don't, things go to hell in a handbasket. And what goes wrong often costs a lot of money as a lesson.

'Amazing Facts' preacher Doug Batchelor went into intricate detail on this happening in his life.

is it real?

I see it. Maybe not in the supernatural sense, but definitely in the interpersonal sense. You tend to get back what you put out there.

is it real?

Yes, of course karma exists. It is logical and it happens to everyone everyday whether people believe in it or not. Karma is much more complex than action and reaction. In my experience people define karma by the definition given to them, a Cliff's Notes version, if you will. To understand karma, and I am not suggesting that I fully understand it, reading and contemplation and even discussion are required.

What you were looking for is that it is a philosophy.

Yes, of course karma exists. It is logical and it happens to everyone everyday whether people believe in it or not. Karma is much more complex than action and reaction. In my experience people define karma by the definition given to them, a Cliff's Notes version, if you will. To understand karma, and I am not suggesting that I fully understand it, reading and contemplation and even discussion are required.

Sounds magical.

Karma is superstitious and unjustified linking of causation and the mistaken belief that all actions are quantifiable as 'good' or 'bad'.

Back
Top Bottom