• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

For some people it would be very depressing. I suspect they outnumber the others.

I suspect that many find life depressing because they believe in something greater. Life can never measure up to that.

It never was an Eastern philosophy. In certain Eastern philosophies it is the explanation of the natural process of cause and effect. Nothing more. You'll find echoes of the idea of karme in chaos theory and quantum theory.

Have I ever witnessed something I have done have an unexpected consequence. Yes, hundreds of times.

That is not what karma is. It is not an explanation of cause and effect. Your reductionist definition is wrong. It is not treated as a scientific concept in Eastern religions.

That is not what karma is. It is not an explanation of cause and effect. Your reductionist definition is wrong. It is not treated as a scientific concept in Eastern religions.

I never said it was 'scientific'.

On what basis or authority are you opining? Why don't you tell us what you believe karma to be, with some scriptural back-up?

I don't know why you keep saying that.

"Buddhism teaches that the law of cause and effect underlies the workings of all phenomena. Positive thoughts, words and actions create positive effects in the lives of individuals, leading to happiness. Negative thoughts, words and actions on the other hand—those that in some way undermine the dignity of life—lead to unhappiness. This is the general principle of karma."

The Simultaneity of Cause and Effect | Soka Gakkai International (SGI)

The Buddha’s reply was:

"All living beings have actions (Karma) as their own, their inheritance, their congenital cause, their kinsman, their refuge. It is Karma that differentiates beings into low and high states."

He then explained the cause of such differences in accordance with the law of cause and effect.
Basic Buddhism: The Theory of Karma

Back
Top Bottom