• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kamala Harris Slammed for Laughing when Asked About Ukrainian Refugees

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
She's such a jovial person -- always laughing -- even laughing at refugees:

Kamala Harris Slammed for Laughing when Asked About Ukrainian Refugees

Kamala Harris laughed off questions about the refugee crisis resulting from the Russian attack on Ukraine and dodged inquiries at a press conference in Warsaw Thursday on why a deal for sending fighter jets to Kyiv fell through.

Ukrainian-born Republican Representative Victoria Spartz slammed the vice president by saying 'this is a very serious situation requiring action, not a laughing matter,' as critics tore into Harris' conduct at her press conference alongside Polish President Andrzej Duda.

The vice president's three-day trip to Eastern Europe comes as Poland has taken in upwards of 1.5 million refugees fleeing Ukraine in the 15 days since Russian President Vladimir Putin invaded.

Personally, I would have treated the moment a little more solemnly. I bet she laughs at funerals too. Laughter seems to be a coping mechanism for this person, who is a mental lightweight and absolutely not a leader.
Heaven help us if Biden kicks the bucket while in office -- because she'll be laughing her way into the Oval Office. But the nation won't be laughing.

Personally, I would have treated the moment a little more solemnly. I bet she laughs at funerals too. Laughter seems to be a coping mechanism for this person, who is a mental lightweight and absolutely not a leader.
Heaven help us if Biden kicks the bucket while in office -- because she'll be laughing her way into the Oval Office. But the nation won't be laughing.
Working overtime for Putin again tonight? Wow! Really busy time for you, huh? It must remind you of 2015-16. Right?

It’s an unmistakable pattern that the thing a misogynist responds negatively to first in a woman is her looks or her laugh, because he perceives her to be laughing at him. The term usually used is “cackling.”

It’s an unmistakable pattern that the thing a misogynist responds negatively to first is a woman’s laugh, because he perceives her to be laughing at him. The term usually used is “cackling.”
Why was she "cackling" then, according to you?

It’s an unmistakable pattern that the thing a misogynist responds negatively to first in a woman is her looks or her laugh, because he perceives her to be laughing at him. The term usually used is “cackling.”
They are the types that feel threatened by women more intelligent and/or educated/successful then they are.

They are the types that feel threatened by women more intelligent and/or educated/successful then they are.
True, you never hear a misogynist accuse a less intelligent woman of “cackling.” It’s a pretty specific phenomenon.

Does this make all the women who don’t like Trump sexists? philogyny? Because he is a more intelligent man? What does cackling have to do with the class of a woman compared to them actually cackling and not caring about who or what calls out the cackles? What does intellect have to do with someone being called out their cackles? It’s her defense mechanism because she is a weaker woman than should be in that position. We need to hold all people to the same set of standards instead of giving free passes and projecting irrational negative responses.

Look, I know you‘re trying but we need you to step up your game. A Kamala Harris laughing thread and you didn’t even ONCE use the ‘cackling’ word? Seriously dude, if you’re going to accept money for pushing narratives, your handlers will expect that you toe the line. If this is asking too much, then you should consider alternative employment in a different area such as COVID misinformation or 2020 election trutherism.

She was totally serious when asked about the refugees, but then the reporter asked Duda a question at the same time and she and Duda had a little back and forth about who would answer first--you go, no you go, ok, alright...

That's what she was laughing about (and yes, I think it was a nervous laugh). Duda ended up going first and naturally, none of the gotcha clips show her actual response about the refugees.

Her actual, serious response starts at 45 min.

She was totally serious when asked about the refugees, but then the reporter asked Duda a question at the same time and she and Duda had a little back and forth about who would answer first--you go, no you go, ok, alright...

That's what she was laughing about (and yes, I think it was a nervous laugh). Duda ended up going first and naturally, none of the gotcha clips show her actual response about the refugees.

Thank you. Sounds like she was being… a regular, normal human being.

Thank you. Sounds like she was being… a regular, normal human being.
It won't make any difference, I know; they'll keep lying about it.

I don't think Harris is a good fit for this job, and she looks uncomfortable up there. Why in hell Joe didn't make her the AG, I will never understand.

It won't make any difference, I know; they'll keep lying about it.

I don't think Harris is a good fit for this job, and she looks uncomfortable up there. Why in hell Joe didn't make her the AG, I will never understand.
Huge missed opportunity. She should have been AG. Pete B should have been VP. Garland should have been the nominated SCOTUS candidate in Biden’s term.

Huge missed opportunity. She should have been AG. Pete B should have been VP. Garland should have been the nominated SCOTUS candidate in Biden’s term.
Exactly what I was thinking.

She also never stated if the US was open to accepting any refugees. The whole exchange was bizarre.

She also never stated if the US was open to accepting any refugees. The whole exchange was bizarre.
Bizarre? She said most of the refugees wanted to stay in Europe, and that the US has granted TPS status to all Ukranian nationals here on a visa. We will do our best to support Poland with the enormous number of refugees there. No, she didn't specifically say we would take in refugees, but that we are looking at it. This situation has only been going on for two weeks. We certainly aren't going to force anyone to come here who wants to stay closer to home. Most will eventually return to Ukraine, when they can, I'm guessing.

It's a diplomatic laugh from the start. She isn't facing the press member who asked the question, and at no point did she laugh AT THE QUESTION.

She was clearly relieved to have the Polish president answer instead BECAUSE POLAND IS TAKING REFUGEES AND THE US IS NOT.

It starts with her and Andrzej Duda both smiling, then laughing. If there's any fault in Harris's behaviour here it is "girlishness," which is inappropriate when representing the US alongside a lesser power like Poland.

I'd rather if she had laughed AT Duda. The proposal to wash Poland's hands of MiG-29 transfers by handing them to NATO first, deserves derisive laughter.

She’s the flip side of the coin called unprofessional. The other side is Trump
Lol🤣🤣🤣

That's what she was laughing about (and yes, I think it was a nervous laugh).

It was a nervous (or polite) laugh until Duda cracked some joke I can't hear properly. I presume he speaks some English.

Given that Duda talked non-stop (in Polish) for the first ten minutes, she may well have been laughing AT him.

Duda ended up going first and naturally, none of the gotcha clips show her actual response about the refugees.

"As the President [of Poland] said, we did discuss this issue and, um, I started by thanking the President of Poland, and the people of Poland, for what they have done. And I will restate what I said earlier this afternoon: they've shown extraordinary generosity, and kindness — and courage — and there are some here who have relatives who have arrived from Ukraine. But I think there are many more who are taking in perfect strangers, um, with barely a lot to give but giving a lot nonetheless. So we recognize that, and we recognize the burden it places on the government of Poland, on the President, and the infrastructure of his country. Uh, when you look at, as the President said, over one and a half million people, coming within two weeks, virtually: unprecedented, if you track and look at refugee flows over the history of time, from regions of conflict. So the United States is absolutely prepared to do what we can and what we must, to support Poland in terms of the burden which they have taken on. Um, but I think all of us who understand the moral obligation we should feel to help people who are fleeing harm, and, and, and, seeking refuge, the burden we should all be taking on to support those people who are fleeing their home when they don't want to leave. In terms of what we are doing in the United States we will then take it, this, in terms of what we can do to support, and look at those Ukrainians who want to come to the United States ... etc"

One thing is clear. Harris is not reading from a teleprompter. Her welcome to refugees, on behalf of the United States, is less than whole hearted though.

I have nothing else to do, so I will continue the transcription where I left off.

"In terms of what we are doing in the United States we will then take it, this, in terms of what we can do to support, and look at those Ukrainians who want to come to the United States; what we are seeing thus far is, um, large parts of that population who are fleeing Ukraine who, um, desire to stay in Europe. Ah, you probably know that we have made a decision as it relates to the TPS, the Temporary Protection Status, so for Ukrainians who are in the United States whose visa may expire, or has expired: if they were in the United States before, I believe March (I don't have the exact date) they will be able to stay, they won't have to leave, even though their visa has expired. Of course we would not send them back to what is, a war zone. The bottom line is that I have stated the position, to the President [of Ukraine] this afternoon. As we have said many times in our work, collectively, in the UN and through NATO, we will support Poland in terms of [indistinct] it is facing, and our collective responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of these refugees."

*conference ends*
*handshake Duda and Harris*

Harris would do well to speak more slowly. In complete sentences.

Back
Top Bottom