• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kamala Harris Slammed for Laughing when Asked About Ukrainian Refugees

There's no explaining away her unpreparedness. We've seen it now on too many occasions. She's simply in way over her head. That doesn't make her a bad person. It just means she's like 99.98% of the rest of us: not ready for a job of that magnitude, and it's obvious.

She spoke off the cuff better than you could under the circumstances. Probably better than I could. Before you hold her to your own low standards ... did you read the transcript?

If you can't be bothered reading, video of the full press conference was linked just a few posts before. Her answer starts around 45 minutes (yes it was a long press conference; Doda doesn't understand the concept of sound bites).

No, that's not her problem. Her problem is that she's entirely ill-equipped for the job she holds and should be allowed no where near an open mic. She doesn't understand the issues, she doesn't understand the gravity of those issues, she has no idea of the weakness she projects, and she's a liability to the administration and thus the country. She is not a Vice President. She is a cartoon.

There's no explaining away her unpreparedness. We've seen it now on too many occasions. She's simply in way over her head. That doesn't make her a bad person. It just means she's like 99.98% of the rest of us: not ready for a job of that magnitude, and it's obvious.
I don’t think she’s unprepared or unintelligent.

I think somewhere along the line, someone told her that she needed to appear “approachable” or some such phrase and she adopted this “schtick” as a response to that.

And it stuck and now we have a strange version of a “Legally Blonde” type character as the VP when cameras are on.

Just be a strong, capable, intelligent woman. Drop the cutesy nonsense. It’s insulting and it isn’t a good “role model” for young women and girls.

Cutesy nonsense doesn’t land women in executive positions in corporate America. Cutesy doesn’t gain REAL respect. And I don’t know a single women that acts “cutesy” naturally. It’s an act. It is a learned response to decades of “don’t be a bitch”, “no one likes a bitch” dogma.

It’s insulting for the VP to play into it.

She spoke off the cuff better than you could under the circumstances. Probably better than I could. Before you hold her to your own low standards ... did you read the transcript?

If you can't be bothered reading, video of the full press conference was linked just a few posts before. Her answer starts around 45 minutes (yes it was a long press conference; Doda doesn't understand the concept of sound bites).
Um, I'm not qualified to be Vice President of the United States, either.

I think somewhere along the line, someone told her that she needed to appear “approachable” or some such phrase and she adopted this “schtick” as a response to that.

And it stuck and now we have a strange version of a “Legally Blonde” type character as the VP when cameras are on.

Just be a strong, capable, intelligent woman. Drop the cutesy nonsense. It’s insulting and it isn’t a good “role model” for young women and girls.

Cutesy nonsense doesn’t land women in executive positions in corporate America. Cutesy doesn’t gain REAL respect. And I don’t know a single women that acts “cutesy” naturally. It’s an act. It is a learned response to decades of “don’t be a bitch”, “no one likes a bitch” dogma.

Well I could agree with that, except she had just come from a meeting with the Polish President, in which she was instructed to tell him NOTHING he wanted to hear. That's rather disempowering for anyone. In that moment, she's a Vice-President up on stage with a President. In Poland.

I'm also rather sure she didn't have a translation of what the President was saying, so that's a source of insecurity too.

Well I could agree with that, except she had just come from a meeting with the Polish President, in which she was instructed to tell him NOTHING he wanted to hear. That's rather disempowering for anyone. In that moment, she's a Vice-President up on stage with a President. In Poland.

I'm also rather sure she didn't have a translation of what the President was saying, so that's a source of insecurity too.
Insecurity. Bingo. That hit the nail exactly on the head.

It is a go to, ingrained or learned, reaction when she is insecure.

There's plenty of evidence that's she's unprepared. That's apparently been the rap on her for some time: she doesn't put in the work reading the briefing materials prepared by her staff and then starts blaming others when her public appearances go south; it's one reason why she's had such difficulty creating loyalty and holding a support team together. If it's not a memorized line she generally comes off as a stammering lightweight unable to move beyond banalities.

She's such a jovial person -- always laughing -- even laughing at refugees:

Personally, I would have treated the moment a little more solemnly. I bet she laughs at funerals too. Laughter seems to be a coping mechanism for this person, who is a mental lightweight and absolutely not a leader.
Heaven help us if Biden kicks the bucket while in office -- because she'll be laughing her way into the Oval Office. But the nation won't be laughing.
Wasn't Biden supposed to have died/stepped down/been committed and Harris installed as POTUS by now? So disappointing.

I disagree. She's totally out of her depth and not up to the job whatsoever. A question about refugees throws her? Isn't that the main reason she went to Poland?

Um, I'm not qualified to be Vice President of the United States, either.

Look, I went to the trouble of making a transcript, and it bothers me that you won't even read it. You're just going to treasure that moment of Harris cracking up laughing at something the President of Poland said, and go with the narrative of the Daily Fail that she was laughing at the plight of refugees?

Oh and another thing. You said you agreed with a previous post "UP TO" some point, but would not confirm that you agree with the first line: the US should help Poland out by taking some refugees. You're actually not in favor of that, are you?

TRANSCRIPT:

"As the President [of Poland] said, we did discuss this issue and, um, I started by thanking the President of Poland, and the people of Poland, for what they have done. And I will restate what I said earlier this afternoon: they've shown extraordinary generosity, and kindness — and courage — and there are some here who have relatives who have arrived from Ukraine. But I think there are many more who are taking in perfect strangers, um, with barely a lot to give but giving a lot nonetheless. So we recognize that, and we recognize the burden it places on the government of Poland, on the President, and the infrastructure of his country. Uh, when you look at, as the President said, over one and a half million people, coming within two weeks, virtually unprecedented, if you track and look at refugee flows over the history of time, from regions of conflict. So the United States is absolutely prepared to do what we can and what we must, to support Poland in terms of the burden which they have taken on. Um, but I think all of us who understand the moral obligation we should feel to help people who are fleeing harm, and, and, and, seeking refuge, the burden we should all be taking on to support those people who are fleeing their home when they don't want to leave. In terms of what we are doing in the United States we will then take it, this, in terms of what we can do to support, and look at those Ukrainians who want to come to the United States ; what we are seeing thus far is, um, large parts of that population who are fleeing Ukraine who, um, desire to stay in Europe. Ah, you probably know that we have made a decision as it relates to the TPS, the Temporary Protection Status, so for Ukrainians who are in the United States whose visa may expire, or has expired: if they were in the United States before, I believe March (I don't have the exact date) they will be able to stay, they won't have to leave, even though their visa has expired. Of course we would not send them back to what is, a war zone. The bottom line is that I have stated the position, to the President [of Ukraine] this afternoon. As we have said many times in our work, collectively, in the UN and through NATO, we will support Poland in terms of [indistinct] it is facing, and our collective responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of these refugees."

Without misrepresenting US policy, and barring some garbled words, I find it hard to imagine how her answer could have been better.

Can you imagine at all, Donald Trump speaking at such length without repeating himself or trolling someone?

The OP is a lie and the OP is a Russian propagandist.

Here's what everybody should do. Look for the other people that try to support him or cover for him or agree with him. Then you'll know.

She's such a jovial person -- always laughing -- even laughing at refugees:

Personally, I would have treated the moment a little more solemnly. I bet she laughs at funerals too. Laughter seems to be a coping mechanism for this person, who is a mental lightweight and absolutely not a leader.
Heaven help us if Biden kicks the bucket while in office -- because she'll be laughing her way into the Oval Office. But the nation won't be laughing.
I think they have "ongoing sales at Eye Glass Stores" i'd say it would be a good purchase .... because watching the exchanges, both of them "laughed" but it was not the type of laugh that you seem to want to push. Its interesting that you can't interpert "body language and interactive responses". You ignored the "comment completely" of "A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND INDEED"..
Her role was not to "make nasty".... their mutual laugh was "an agreement" regarding "Refugee Assistance". It's quite odd, there is no comment about the Polish Presidents laugh.
When he began to speak, both faces their became quickly "focused".

Look, I went to the trouble of making a transcript, and it bothers me that you won't even read it. You're just going to treasure that moment of Harris cracking up laughing at something the President of Poland said, and go with the narrative of the Daily Fail that she was laughing at the plight of refugees?

Oh and another thing. You said you agreed with a previous post "UP TO" some point, but would not confirm that you agree with the first line: the US should help Poland out by taking some refugees. You're actually not in favor of that, are you?

TRANSCRIPT:

"As the President [of Poland] said, we did discuss this issue and, um, I started by thanking the President of Poland, and the people of Poland, for what they have done. And I will restate what I said earlier this afternoon: they've shown extraordinary generosity, and kindness — and courage — and there are some here who have relatives who have arrived from Ukraine. But I think there are many more who are taking in perfect strangers, um, with barely a lot to give but giving a lot nonetheless. So we recognize that, and we recognize the burden it places on the government of Poland, on the President, and the infrastructure of his country. Uh, when you look at, as the President said, over one and a half million people, coming within two weeks, virtually unprecedented, if you track and look at refugee flows over the history of time, from regions of conflict. So the United States is absolutely prepared to do what we can and what we must, to support Poland in terms of the burden which they have taken on. Um, but I think all of us who understand the moral obligation we should feel to help people who are fleeing harm, and, and, and, seeking refuge, the burden we should all be taking on to support those people who are fleeing their home when they don't want to leave. In terms of what we are doing in the United States we will then take it, this, in terms of what we can do to support, and look at those Ukrainians who want to come to the United States ; what we are seeing thus far is, um, large parts of that population who are fleeing Ukraine who, um, desire to stay in Europe. Ah, you probably know that we have made a decision as it relates to the TPS, the Temporary Protection Status, so for Ukrainians who are in the United States whose visa may expire, or has expired: if they were in the United States before, I believe March (I don't have the exact date) they will be able to stay, they won't have to leave, even though their visa has expired. Of course we would not send them back to what is, a war zone. The bottom line is that I have stated the position, to the President [of Ukraine] this afternoon. As we have said many times in our work, collectively, in the UN and through NATO, we will support Poland in terms of [indistinct] it is facing, and our collective responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of these refugees."

Without misrepresenting US policy, and barring some garbled words, I find it hard to imagine how her answer could have been better.

Can you imagine at all, Donald Trump speaking at such length without repeating himself or trolling someone?
No, my comments are not just about this one event. They speak to her entire body of work as VP.

Excellent analysis. She often laughs "hysterically" at even the most minor sign of humor. It's tiresome.

The United States will be the last democracy on Earth to ever have a female leader. Women in politics are judged so harshly, it's really obvious that too many voters resent a woman having too much power. There is no correct balance between ruthlessness and feminine compassion, and neither extreme is tolerated.

I remember 2008. I was for Hillary but gradually I went over to Obama. He was such a great speaker, and by comparison I found Hillary dull and scripted. But in retrospect I was wrong. It was a huge, populist mistake to have America's first Black president (when blacks are 13%) instead of America's first woman president (when women are 51%) and I look back on Obama's time as one of unrealistic ideals almost rivalling Carter. Hillary could have done better.

Anyone remember Dan Quayle? How about Dick Cheney? They reflected badly on their Presidents, but opponents were glad of that. They didn't call for their resignation because they were "not good enough" to be Vice President.

"Not good enough to be vice President." The words don't even make sense.

... and telling.
Yes, it is telling. Telling of the culture that creates intelligent women who feel the need to appease others with laughter instead of simply being strong and standing on their actually capabilities and honest feelings.

... and telling.

Telling of what exactly? She's not "hysterical" (if that's the correct word for "female and stupid") but maybe too spontaneous for a politician.

It's not good to be ambiguous, because different people read you all different ways. Not good in a politician.

Trump's "I'm not an asshole, I just have a great sense of humor" kind of ambiguity barely got him over the line once. And it didn't work twice.

Yes, it is telling. Telling of the culture that creates intelligent women who feel the need to appease others with laughter instead of simply being strong and standing on their actually capabilities and honest feelings.
Or if a women uncomfortable in her own skin to the point where it becomes a professional — and thus in this case national — liability.

Telling of what exactly? She's not "hysterical" (if that's the correct word for "female and stupid") but maybe too spontaneous for a politician.

It's not good to be ambiguous, because different people read you all different ways. Not good in a politician.

Trump's "I'm not an asshole, I just have a great sense of humor" kind of ambiguity barely got him over the line once. And it didn't work twice.
I am not a politician and will choose to express myself in a manner I see fit.

That said, do you find yourself wondering what I think about her qualifications?

Gone are the halcyon days of articulate, informed, steady, and super serious male American leadership.

1647006311396.png

"EHRMAGERD WHY CAN LIBZ NOT EVER NOT MAKE EVERYTHING 'BOUT TRUMP?!?"

They make sense if one is not wedded to identity politics. A woman can be not qualified for VP just as easily as a man.
What exactly makes her unqualified? Seriously, what in her resume makes her unfit to serve as VP?

Back
Top Bottom