• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kamala Harris put over 1,500 people in jail for marijuana violations

Thazgor

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Does dems BLM and friends of marijuana still thinks Kamala Harris is a good pick?

Are dems and BLM who wants marijuana to be legal gonna vote for Joe Biden and support Kammala Harris?

How Kamala Harris prosecuted marijuana cases in San Francisco

During the last presidential debate in July, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard blasted Harris over marijuana convictions, saying she “put over 1,500 people in jail for marijuana violations and then laughed about it when she was asked if she ever smoked marijuana.” Gabbard was misleadingly citing figures for all of California while Harris was attorney general — even though the vast majority of marijuana cases in the state are prosecuted by independently elected county district attorneys.

"Gabbard was misleadingly citing figures for all of California while Harris was attorney general — even though the vast majority of marijuana cases in the state are prosecuted by independently elected county district attorneys."

And so are you. But she followed the law. And? trump put Michael Cohen in prison illegally to try to prevent him from writing a book exposing him.

Does dems BLM and friends of marijuana still thinks Kamala Harris is a good pick?

Are dems and BLM who wants marijuana to be legal gonna vote for Joe Biden and support Kammala Harris?

So as a prosecutor are you saying she should have just ignored the law? Let’s get your ass on record for this. Are you saying she should have been derelict on her job and not prosecuted anyone for drug crimes? Don’t run away, answer the question.

It's the job of DA's to enforce laws. Making laws is up to the legislature.

Did they break the law?
TrumpQins are having a difficult time defining Harris on law-and-order.

Imagine the QAnon/GOP outrage if she had not done this.

So as a prosecutor are you saying she should have just ignored the law? Let’s get your ass on record for this. Are you saying she should have been derelict on her job and not prosecuted anyone for drug crimes? Don’t run away, answer the question.

Should Mike Tyson be put in jail becouse of his drug farm?

I wonder if she inhaled in high school and college.

Harris is a jackass for giving so many young people records just as they were starting their lives.

I hope the penalties have not been too severe for the 1,500 caught up in mad-dog Harris' extremely low level pot busts.

Marijuana should be legal - at the federal level.

To be honest, of all the things you could have gone after Kamala for, and there are many regarding her sketchy asf career as Cali's AG, this is easily among the least compelling.

It's the job of DA's to enforce laws. Making laws is up to the legislature.

True, but if we're talking about a joint here and there, the cop and Harris could have turned their heads for a moment allowing destruction or consumption.

TrumpQins are having a difficult time defining Harris on law-and-order.

Imagine the QAnon/GOP outrage if she had not done this.

I am outraged that Harris ruined/gave records to 1,500 likely very low-level pot possessors.

Pot should be legal at the federal level.

That is from a GOP diehard!

Yes - she should have plead out all 1,500 to the lessor charge of disorderly conduct. What good does it do to ruin so many young lives over a little pot possession?

I am GOP and on the record.

Yes - she should have plead out all 1,500 to the lessor charge of disorderly conduct. What good does it do to ruin so many young lives over a little pot possession?

I am GOP and on the record.

How many of those 1500 did she prosecute? Get real.

What year did this happen, yes I believed marijuana should have been legal forever ago but peoples minds have changed and things have changed....get real.

How many of those 1500 did she prosecute? Get real.

What year did this happen, yes I believed marijuana should have been legal forever ago but peoples minds have changed and things have changed....get real.

"Get real" with/on what?

Whether she personally prosecuted the cases is not the point at all.

She is nothing but a bull dog barking orders to her ADAs (or whatever CA calls her subordinate prosecutors).

Bull-dog barking Harris could have barked an order stating something like "anyone caught with less than 1 ounce shall be offered a plea bargain for disorderly conduct".

Very simple and easy for her to do.

But no, the biatch had to show the citizens that she was coming down hard on drug offenders, assuming that you believe pot to be a drug, which I do not.

Get real, man - or whatever the hell your saying is.

I am outraged that Harris ruined/gave records to 1,500 likely very low-level pot possessors.

You never watched schoolhouse rock, did you? Clue for you: Neither a district attorney nor an attorney general make laws. Their job is to enforce law.

That's the republican position today. Shouldn't you be praising her?

It's odd you think we should care about what both Republicans and Democrats believed then instead of what they believe now.

You don't actually care about this issue so strop pretending. If you did, you'd realize the Republicans are staunchly against legalization while most democrats, including Harris are for it.

Where's your rage and criticism for the Republicans locking up marijuana users?

Last edited:
You never watched schoolhouse rock, did you? Clue for you: Neither a district attorney nor an attorney general make laws. Their job is to enforce law.

I know that having defended many corporate clients in US State and Local Sales & Use Tax cases.

I also know that Harris/her office prosecuted/enforced the laws on the books as enacted by the California legislature and signed by the Governor.

Given that, she also had the power to enter into plea bargains. Instead of charging someone with drug possession, she could have authorized a plea to a lesser offense like Disorderly Conduct with no jail/prison time and/or the imposition of a fine or not.

You don't actually care about this issue so strop pretending. If you did, you'd realize the Republicans are staunchly against legalization while most democrats, including Harris are for it.

Where's your rage and criticism for the Republicans locking up marijuana users?

There is no pretending on my side. I may be GOP, but it does not mean that I agree with everything in the GOP.

The reason that I have not mentioned Republicans is because this thread is about Harris locking up 1,500 people, per thread title. Name a GOP prosecutor and my answer would be the same.

Biden wrote the 1994 crime bill with 3 strikes and mandatory minimum sentences, then signed by Clinton.

There is no pretending on my side. I may be GOP, but it does not mean that I agree with everything in the GOP.

The reason that I have not mentioned Republicans is because this thread is about Harris locking up 1,500 people, per thread title. Name a GOP prosecutor and my answer would be the same.

Biden wrote the 1994 crime bill with 3 strikes and mandatory minimum sentences, then signed by Clinton.

Both Republicans AND Democrats have been locking up people for cannabis for many, many decades. Your suggestion that the attorney General can just ignore the laws as they choose is false.

I for one care more about who supports legalization now (the Democrats), while you support people who opposed it then AND now (Republicans).

You don't actually care about this issue, you enable the people who criminalize and lock up minor drug offenders. You're only looking for a hammer to hit the opposition with, not looking for actual change.

She had no problem being derelict in her job to defend California’s voter approved traditional marriage law.

Kamala Harris was a tough on crime prosecutor.

Trump supporters should love her.

Did they break the law?

That law is stupid and abused by police to lock up blacks and Latinos for small amounts, sometimes planted on them, while middle class whites go scot free, not to mention dodgy bankers.

True, but if we're talking about a joint here and there, the cop and Harris could have turned their heads for a moment allowing destruction or consumption.

Did the cop not do their job? Did Harris not do her job? Why would you expect a cop or Harris to turn their heads?...don't ask or expect people like cops or Harris to look the other way because something needs changed...that is not how change happens.

Back
Top Bottom