• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kamala Harris announces she is running for president

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1087327713277460481

Kamala Harris announces she is running for president via twitter,
Whats her chances?

I have no clue. When I read this my mind immediately jumped to the debate scenario, twenty democrats vying for the nomination...and then the other party. I have the feeling it's going to be a pretty empty debate stage on the republican side, if trump is still president and decides to run again.

I imagine the field will be getting crowded pretty soon......I'm guesstimating 25-30 will toss thier hat into the ring.

She wins CA primary but which other ones can she win? Its likely we will see so many dems in that they will have the "hometown advantage." I can see Biden appealing to the smaller states where no hometown candidate runs.

Whats her chances?

She might be a good Vice Presidential choice.

Then the Dems can choose a male Presidential candidate without being called "sexist."

The Dems have to have a "balanced" ticket, lest radical Dems go crazy.

The dem's got nothin'.

Pretty sad state of affairs when they can't come up with anyone who can't easily trounce the Liar-in-Cheif we have now.

But the dem's are famous for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Until they ****can their "super delegates" they will get no help from me.

Until they ****can their "super delegates" they will get no help from me.

Who cares about superdelegates? You're going to sit on your hands over a theoretical break-the-glass mechanism that's never intervened to do anything?

Whats her chances?

Unsure, she does have a little bit of political baggage from her time as a prosecutor both in dealing challenges to her with alignment to law enforcement during a time when the party wanted advocacy for change in law enforcement and dealing with a few wrongful convictions where she arguably stood with the conviction right or wrong (there was some noise of potential evidence tampering, going with false testimony, and perhaps even suppression evidence by her office. Unsure any was ever proven but then again.) She also upset some potential Democratic voters with her early position on BLM where she tried to straddle the fence between advocacy for law enforcement change but supporting law enforcement tactics.

I get the platform she will attempt to run with, but suspect other Democratic candidates will have more success appealing to their base.

Whats her chances?

I think her chances of being VP on the 2020 Dem ticket are rather decent. Not so much at the top though.

Her main drawback is that the state she is from - California - is a slam dunk for the Dems in 2020 and they really do not need a Californian to be on the ticket to carry the state.

But if she runs well in the primaries and is one of the last three or four dems in the race and garners a good segment of the female vote, it could be seen as a way to unite the party especially if the presidential candidate is a male.

I see her more of a VP choice.

Same as anyone else's chances, I guess.

Her odds are one in (insert number of Dems who declare here). Then they are one out of two if she gets the nomination.

I will say that she doesn't really strike me as all that appealing. I guess if I had to vote for her over Trump then sure, but I'd definitely want someone better.

Morning, by the way. :)

She might be a good Vice Presidential choice.

Then the Dems can choose a male Presidential candidate without being called "sexist."

The Dems have to have a "balanced" ticket, lest radical Dems go crazy.

She would be pretty lousy VP pick from a strategy perspective. As others point out - democrats don't need help winning California, and she won't help the ballot (and could be a detriment) in other places. Plus, she's going to say stupid things. Candidates want VPs that will help them where they are weak, and won't otherwise hurt them.

I think her chances of being VP on the 2020 Dem ticket are rather decent. Not so much at the top though.

Her main drawback is that the state she is from - California - is a slam dunk for the Dems in 2020 and they really do not need a Californian to be on the ticket to carry the state.

But if she runs well in the primaries and is one of the last three or four dems in the race and garners a good segment of the female vote, it could be seen as a way to unite the party especially if the presidential candidate is a male.

Castro would be a better VP then because he is from TX. I suspect thats what he is hoping for.

I will say that she doesn't really strike me as all that appealing. I guess if I had to vote for her over Trump then sure, but I'd definitely want someone better.

Morning, by the way. :)

Good morning Gov.

I don't know much about her yet. I want the Dems to nominate someone who I can support. Time will tell.

I imagine the field will be getting crowded pretty soon......I'm guesstimating 25-30 will toss thier hat into the ring.

Which could well be cut in half after Super Tuesday - March 3.

More could exit a week later after the March 10 results.

At that time we might be down to four or five viable candidates.

I think her baggage is going to be an issue, but more importantly the Democrats need some fresh blood.

Who cares about superdelegates? You're going to sit on your hands over a theoretical break-the-glass mechanism that's never intervened to do anything?

When one individual's vote is given as much power as an entire district's, I will have a problem with it.

The ONLY thing I can say good about the democrats is that they are not republicans. Republicans suck even worse.

Castro would be a better VP then because he is from TX. I suspect thats what he is hoping for.

Unless the top of the ticket is from Texas.

When one individual's vote is given as much power as an entire district's, I will have a problem with it.

The winner of the primaries wins the nomination. Whoever gets more votes from the Dem rank-and-file across the country will be the nominee. (The only exception to this rule in the primary era was '08 when Hillary very slightly edged out Obama in vote totals, but that was a unique situation and the outcome had nothing to do with superdelegates).

Unless the top of the ticket is from Texas.

Thats true. I dont think Castro will do that though. I think other than maybe Biden and Beto the dems are likely to nominate a female at the top of the ticket. Possibly Warren since she could have the early advantage in New England and she is a bit more progressive and could appeal to the primary voters. But with so many getting in who knows? Looks like Bloomberg and Sanders might be announcing soon as well.

Back
Top Bottom