• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kamala Harris announces she is running for president

DNC changed some things over the last two years, does anyone know how they do the delegates now? Is it a winner take all for each state or do they give partial delegates for second or third place?

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1087327713277460481

Kamala Harris announces she is running for president via twitter,
Whats her chances?

I don’t know. However, I am concerned that the older white, blue collar, middle America on whose racial, social, and economic anxieties Donald Trump played on so effectively to become president, is going to see her nomination as a poke in the eye. As a colored woman, she may be too divisive a figure. America may still not be ready for that. We need someone to, to quote from the words of another era in American history, “bind up the nation’s wounds”, not throw salt in them.

I would place her at or near the top of the tier two candidates.

To me the tier one candidates are Biden, Kerry, Sanders and perhaps Warren.

Thats true. I dont think Castro will do that though. I think other than maybe Biden and Beto the dems are likely to nominate a female at the top of the ticket. Possibly Warren since she could have the early advantage in New England and she is a bit more progressive and could appeal to the primary voters. But with so many getting in who knows? Looks like Bloomberg and Sanders might be announcing soon as well.

Time will tell. I would say Warren has not had a good past year and the shine is off her at the present time. Early primary victories could restore it however. But a female liberal from Massachusetts does not seem a good fit with mid western moderates that they need to take back Wisconsin and Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Biden of course is a favorite given his name recognition and standing but I really suspect he will nto run or if he does it will be half hearted and he will expect it to be be handed to him - and that is not going to happen.

O'Rourke is also on the top of the list and if he can demonstrate a sense of gravitas and knowledge of the issues, he would be the one to bet on. He could even carry Texas which would be the kiss of death for any GOP candidate as that is a must win site for them.

Bernie had his moment and it has passed. Same for Kerry. Bloomberg and the other billionaires are simply not going to catch on with rank and file Dem voters.

If I had to put money on it right now - and I would expect good odds in return - I would bet on O'Rourke at the top of the ticket and a woman for VP - either Harris or Klobuchar of Minnesota or as a real long shot possibly the new Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer would would run very well in the midwest.

DNC changed some things over the last two years, does anyone know how they do the delegates now? Is it a winner take all for each state or do they give partial delegates for second or third place?

This will help

https://www.thegreenpapers.com/P20/D-Alloc.phtml

Awarding Delegates to candidates

During the primaries, caucuses, and conventions delegates are "won" by candidates as follows:

District Delegates are proportionally allocated according to the vote in each Congressional (or other) District.
At-Large Delegates are proportionally allocated according to the statewide vote. (Fine point: If a presidential candidate is no longer a candidate at the time of selection of the at-large delegates, that candidate receives NO at-large delegates [Delegate Selection Rules: Rule 11.C.]. In most jurisdictions, the delegates are selected [according to the results of the primary or caucus] some time after the primary.)
Pledged PLEO Delegates are proportionally allocated according to the statewide vote.
Automatic Delegates vote their conscience.

Time will tell. I would say Warren has not had a good past year and the shine is off her at the present time. Early primary victories could restore it however. But a female liberal from Massachusetts does not seem a good fit with mid western moderates that they need to take back Wisconsin and Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Biden of course is a favorite given his name recognition and standing but I really suspect he will nto run or if he does it will be half hearted and he will expect it to be be handed to him - and that is not going to happen.

O'Rourke is also on the top of the list and if he can demonstrate a sense of gravitas and knowledge of the issues, he would be the one to bet on. He could even carry Texas which would be the kiss of death for any GOP candidate as that is a must win site for them.

Bernie had his moment and it has passed. Same for Kerry. Bloomberg and the other billionaires are simply not going to catch on with rank and file Dem voters.

If I had to put money on it right now - and I would expect good odds in return - I would bet on O'Rourke at the top of the ticket and a woman for VP - either Harris or Klobuchar of Minnesota or as a real long shot possibly the new Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer would would run very well in the midwest.

I think with so many going to be running that the younger ones will just dominate. I saw Warren last weekend and after one event she was hoarse before she completely lost her voice. Biden had done the same thing last year. It doesnt mean much except that the younger ones are going to run circles around them hitting every stop and being tough. With such a huge field, it will exaggerate their age. Plus I think at the end of the day, dems will want a young person to go up against Trump. Of course I could be wrong and Biden will win it all but I dont think so.

I'm inclined to agree with O'Rourke or Castro for that matter. Gabbard piques my interest, but I don't think she will be favored by the establishment; which is unfortunate.

I think with so many going to be running that the younger ones will just dominate. I saw Warren last weekend and after one event she was hoarse before she completely lost her voice. Biden had done the same thing last year. It doesnt mean much except that the younger ones are going to run circles around them hitting every stop and being tough. With such a huge field, it will exaggerate their age. Plus I think at the end of the day, dems will want a young person to go up against Trump. Of course I could be wrong and Biden will win it all but I dont think so.

I am in agreement with everything you said here. The Dems would be smart to try and repeat the magic they had in 1960 with John Kennedy. A fresh face, preferably a good looking one that knows how to work a crowd and the media, who can out campaign Trump is essential.

There is a time when even Babe Ruth and Kareem Jabbar and Peyton Manning had to retire and hand the ball to younger talent and I think this is the time in the Democratic Party for that to happen. Biden, Warren, Sanders, Kerry - are all yesterdays news and are simply not what younger voters respond to.

I don’t know. However, I am concerned that the older white, blue collar, middle America on whose racial, social, and economic anxieties Donald Trump played on so effectively to become president, is going to see her nomination as a poke in the eye. As a colored woman, she may be too divisive a figure. America may still not be ready for that. We need someone to, to quote from the words of another era in American history, “bind up the nation’s wounds”, not throw salt in them.

Not sure the type of person you refer to will be the core primary voter for democrats in 2020. The reality is most Americans know little of her except for the fight over the Supreme Court nominee. Plenty of time for us to learn more through the Sunday morning shows and social media. She is from California so will there be big donors from Silicon Valley supporting her financially.

So much we don't know. Another thing is she a great speech maker as was Obama. Someone has to win not sure why she would not have a good chance.

I'm inclined to agree with O'Rourke or Castro for that matter. Gabbard piques my interest, but I don't think she will be favored by the establishment; which is unfortunate.

If Gabbard survives until Super Tuesday night I will be pleasantly surprised. Castro may have been a decent long shot but I fear O'Rourke will finish that hope off being young and from Texas.

I would be shocked if Beto got very far at all. He may have looked shiny from outside the state, but he's not a very good candidate. Very wishy washy, and prone to answering everything with slogans. Plus, he has a past. He was destroyed by Cruz in the Senate debates, and Cruz tends to take the high road. What kept him in the game in the Texas senate rate was an exceptionally run campaign network, a relentless schedule (he has stamina), and a boat load of money pumped in from outside the state.

He's a very flawed candidate, and has zero real experience. In a contested democrat primary, his opponents won't pull any punches. He'll be shredded.

I am in agreement with everything you said here. The Dems would be smart to try and repeat the magic they had in 1960 with John Kennedy. A fresh face, preferably a good looking one that knows how to work a crowd and the media, who can out campaign Trump is essential.

There is a time when even Babe Ruth and Kareem Jabbar and Peyton Manning had to retire and hand the ball to younger talent and I think this is the time in the Democratic Party for that to happen. Biden, Warren, Sanders, Kerry - are all yesterdays news and are simply not what younger voters respond to.

True plus the voters are a bit different this time around with so many GOPers and indies out there that dont like Trump. A Warren or Sanders might be a bridge too far for them and could send them either holding their noses for Trump or going third party. Beto or someone in that vein can appeal to them. We just saw in midterms all those right leaning moderates who voted for moderate dems. If the dem primary voters are smart thats who they will nominate. They need to remember those voters in Peoria not just the base. They need to grab those interior votes.

Not sure the type of person you refer to will be the core primary voter for democrats in 2020. The reality is most Americans know little of her except for the fight over the Supreme Court nominee. Plenty of time for us to learn more through the Sunday morning shows and social media. She is from California so will there be big donors from Silicon Valley supporting her financially.

So much we don't know. Another thing is she a great speech maker as was Obama. Someone has to win not sure why she would not have a good chance.

Harris' biggest fault is the state she is from. So many in certain states wont vote for someone from CA. They feel they are too liberal. Dems need to consider the electoral college not the popular vote.

I would be shocked if Beto got very far at all. He may have looked shiny from outside the state, but he's not a very good candidate. Very wishy washy, and prone to answering everything with slogans. Plus, he has a past. He was destroyed by Cruz in the Senate debates, and Cruz tends to take the high road. What kept him in the game in the Texas senate rate was an exceptionally run campaign network, a relentless schedule (he has stamina), and a boat load of money pumped in from outside the state.

He's a very flawed candidate, and has zero real experience. In a contested democrat primary, his opponents won't pull any punches. He'll be shredded.

If O'Rourke has those flaws - it is great that they have come to the fore now before the campaign has begun in earnest. He can work to correct them and improve his game much like a fighter can properly prepare for a big fight many months away or a football team can prepare for an opponent who thinks they know their patterns and tendencies and is going see some new wrinkles on the field.

Of course, that assumes Beto can learn and can improve and that is what we will find out.

Klobuchar might be getting in soon as well. That could hurt Harris a lot in quite a few states. She is quite the hero to farmers and the working class.

Harris' biggest fault is the state she is from. So many in certain states wont vote for someone from CA. They feel they are too liberal. Dems need to consider the electoral college not the popular vote.

Agreed and the same can be said for Warren.

If Gabbard survives until Super Tuesday night I will be pleasantly surprised. Castro may have been a decent long shot but I fear O'Rourke will finish that hope off being young and from Texas.

Castro would make a far better candidate than O'Rourke (or many of the others), and has more relevant experience than most others on the ticket. Even though I don't agree with some of their positions, I've been extremely impressed with the Castro brothers. Both work hard, and have a reputation for working to do the right thing. Castro could actually be a great VP pick as well, as he's respected in Texas and is probably the one democrat that could carry the state.

Beto will catch the early arrows, and is very flawed (i just posted about that). I don't think his star will last long).

At this point it’s way too early to even consider chances. I like Harris. Not saying she’ll win, but I like her. What I’m not looking forward to is all the women who run getting brutalized by the Republican Party. I heard Amy Klobuchar the other day on a podcast and she sounds great. She did everything on the show except announce that she was running. So I expect will see her name in there pretty soon. And then there’s Elizabeth Warren. There are three very good woman right there. Would love to see one of them at least duke it out with Trump. And beat the sucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She might be a good Vice Presidential choice.

Then the Dems can choose a male Presidential candidate without being called "sexist."

The Dems have to have a "balanced" ticket, lest radical Dems go crazy.

Yeah Republicans will just run rich white guys to keep Fox News and their base happy.

If O'Rourke has those flaws - it is great that they have come to the fore now before the campaign has begun in earnest. He can work to correct them and improve his game much like a fighter can properly prepare for a big fight many months away or a football team can prepare for an opponent who thinks they know their patterns and tendencies and is going see some new wrinkles on the field.

Of course, that assumes Beto can learn and can improve and that is what we will find out.

He might campaign on issues better, but I doubt his debate skills will improve. He also can't fix a checkered past, or a lack of experience. He'll be more prepared, but his opponents will be prepared for him.

Yeah Republicans will just run rich white guys to keep Fox News and their base happy.

I suspect if something should prevent Trump from running Nikki Haley will be up there as a VP. RNC chair would like that a lot.

He might campaign on issues better, but I doubt his debate skills will improve. He also can't fix a checkered past, or a lack of experience. He'll be more prepared, but his opponents will be prepared for him.

His DUI could hurt him with the "soccer mom" group but against Trump? I dont know. DNC is going to want a female for top of ticket and I think Beto could come along at that point for VP.

His DUI could hurt him with the "soccer mom" group but against Trump? I dont know. DNC is going to want a female for top of ticket and I think Beto could come along at that point for VP.

His DWI and burglary charge for breaking into UTEP won't help. I'm also sure there's some skeletons that would come out from his time as musician touring with a punk rock band.

Back
Top Bottom