• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

juvenile delinquincy

dstebbins

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
If you are a parent, chances are you've been faced with finding ciggarettes or other drugs in his or her bags. It's been proven that grounding them doesn't work, and teaching them the hazards of such stuff has also proven ineffective.

But no one enjoys being made fun of for being in therapy! I know this because I was in counseling for much of my childhood, and I was made fun of by immature kids. They were immature, but that doesn't make it hurt any less.

The problem is that therapy costs money, and medicaid won't cover things that are unnecessary, so maybe we should change that. Let's bug Congress to modify the Medicaid program to include rehabilitation therapy. What do you think?

dstebbins said:
If you are a parent, chances are you've been faced with finding ciggarettes or other drugs in his or her bags. It's been proven that grounding them doesn't work, and teaching them the hazards of such stuff has also proven ineffective.

But no one enjoys being made fun of for being in therapy! I know this because I was in counseling for much of my childhood, and I was made fun of by immature kids. They were immature, but that doesn't make it hurt any less.

The problem is that therapy costs money, and medicaid won't cover things that are unnecessary, so maybe we should change that. Let's bug Congress to modify the Medicaid program to include rehabilitation therapy. What do you think?

Welcome to the generation of Dr. Phil. We're being brainwashed into
believing that therapists, even those without children, are more
knowledgeable than ourselves. We've forsaken the teachings of our
grandparents in exchange for advice and direction from complete
strangers.

My grandmother said a great many things which are still with me today
even though she's not. Here's a few:

- If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. Meaning:
Simply be kind to others and they'll do the same.

- Don't air your dirty laundry in public. This falls into my Dr. Phil remark
above. There are issues which are better left alone or handled privately.
Airing problems on national television doesn't make society a better
place, it creates hysteria.

- Children should be seen and not heard. Don't read this as granny never
spoke to us punk kids, she did and often. She made it clear that children
would behave in public settings (grocery store, doctor's office, at
restaurants and the like).

- Live within your means and always pay your debts. People today want
everything without having to work for it. Credit is the watchword of
today. Does that imply you can't take out a home loan? Of course not.
But there's good debt and bad debt.

- "Can't" is a giant too lazy to work. Boy did I hear this one a lot when
I was a kid.

- Get out of the house and get some stink off. Another favorite she said
often. Today's GameBoy generation can't seem to create their own
fun unless it involves an LCD screen and a keypad of sorts.

I strayed from your original point but all of these things would lessen
the delinquency problem.

There are major problems where a professional therapist is warranted.
Then there are the thera-chondriacs who think they can't make it through
the day without a session.

My parents often gave us the "idle hands" rant. I can't find a kid raking
leaves in my town in the fall, shoveling snow in the winter or mowing
grass in the summer. Kids have so much time on their hands they seem
to gravitate to the problems you mentioned above.

Kids will experiment with cigarettes. Most will not take it up because
it's one stinky habit which permeates everything it comes into contact
with. Many will also try marijuana but most will, for the most part,
not use it regularly. I did the latter not the former but have not done
the latter for decades. I wouldn't go overboard with regard to
experimentation of these two items. Booze would fit into that mix too.

Last edited:
XShipRider said:
Welcome to the generation of Dr. Phil. We're being brainwashed into
believing that therapists, even those without children, are more
knowledgeable than ourselves. We've forsaken the teachings of our
grandparents in exchange for advice and direction from complete
strangers.
I know you've read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn since everyone has, so I'm not going to ask you that stupid question. I am going to ask you, however, if you understand its moral. Do you? Huck was faced with many challenges by authority, often concerning the slave refugee Jim. At one point he even accepts the fate of going to Hell than to turn Jim in, because he knows it would be wrong. The moral is that sometimes, the right way to go is your own way, and that often includes breaking a few rules.

Whenever I'm debating on this site, I sometimes refer to famous literature at times like this for points, yet I often get mocked because I'm supossedly trying to prove facts with fiction. Those people are basically saying that we can learn nothing from literature, even though we are taught in school the many morals that it can tell. We go by them in our childhood, yet we abandon them like the belief in Santa Clause in our adulthood, even though they have not decreased in validity. That is just stupid.

My grandmother said a great many things which are still with me today
even though she's not. Here's a few:

- If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. Meaning:
Simply be kind to others and they'll do the same.

- Don't air your dirty laundry in public. This falls into my Dr. Phil remark
above. There are issues which are better left alone or handled privately.
Airing problems on national television doesn't make society a better
place, it creates hysteria.
So are you suggesting that we should break a guitar over our kids' heads for dropping an empty box, like what happened to me at the age of ten? I still have that bump on my head.

- Children should be seen and not heard. Don't read this as granny never
spoke to us punk kids, she did and often. She made it clear that children
would behave in public settings (grocery store, doctor's office, at
restaurants and the like).
Maybe that's how your grandmother meant that phrase. Every adult I ever heard the phrase from meant it as "When we have company over, you come downstairs only to fetch us beer from the fridge."

- Live within your means and always pay your debts. People today want
everything without having to work for it. Credit is the watchword of
today. Does that imply you can't take out a home loan? Of course not.
But there's good debt and bad debt.
Those people who want everything without having to work for it are black, or in the local dialect, nigers. I have never met a white person who did not believe in working.

- Get out of the house and get some stink off. Another favorite she said
often. Today's GameBoy generation can't seem to create their own
fun unless it involves an LCD screen and a keypad of sorts.
These proverbs are fun. I think I'll join in!

Have you ever heard the phrase "you can't teach an old dog new tricks?" You're one of the old dogs who've got it in your head that modern technology is worthless. My son begged me to try some of his games (and no, he doesn't play the violent crap like GTA), and ever since, my hand-eye coordination, reflexes, and reaction time at work has been steadily increasing. Or maybe you should try the upcoming "interactive software" for lack of a better word named Brain Age: Train your Brain in Minutes a Day. The japanese baby boomer generation is keeping their brains sharp by performing brain teasers in the blink of an eye.

dstebbins said:
I know you've read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn since everyone has, so I'm not going to ask you that stupid question. I am going to ask you, however, if you understand its moral. Do you? Huck was faced with many challenges by authority, often concerning the slave refugee Jim. At one point he even accepts the fate of going to Hell than to turn Jim in, because he knows it would be wrong. The moral is that sometimes, the right way to go is your own way, and that often includes breaking a few rules.
Nice leap in logic. What does that have to do with what I posted or your
original post?

dstebbins said:
Whenever I'm debating on this site, I sometimes refer to famous literature at times like this for points, yet I often get mocked because I'm supossedly trying to prove facts with fiction. Those people are basically saying that we can learn nothing from literature, even though we are taught in school the many morals that it can tell. We go by them in our childhood, yet we abandon them like the belief in Santa Clause in our adulthood, even though they have not decreased in validity. That is just stupid.
I was not mocking you. But I have to admit, it's hard to follow your
thought processes here.

dstebbins said:
So are you suggesting that we should break a guitar over our kids' heads for dropping an empty box, like what happened to me at the age of ten? I still have that bump on my head.
No, that's a little o'er the top. I did not mention or advocate child abuse
in my thread.

dstebbins said:
Maybe that's how your grandmother meant that phrase. Every adult I ever heard the phrase from meant it as "When we have company over, you come downstairs only to fetch us beer from the fridge."
Again, I went nowhere near your far-fetched ideal here.

dstebbins said:
Those people who want everything without having to work for it are black, or in the local dialect, nigers. I have never met a white person who did not believe in working.
Since you classed me as both a) old, and b) against technology, can I do
the same to you here? You are young, racist, foolish and in dire need of a
dictionary or spell-checker.

dstebbins said:
These proverbs are fun. I think I'll join in!

Have you ever heard the phrase "you can't teach an old dog new tricks?" You're one of the old dogs who've got it in your head that modern technology is worthless. My son begged me to try some of his games (and no, he doesn't play the violent crap like GTA), and ever since, my hand-eye coordination, reflexes, and reaction time at work has been steadily increasing. Or maybe you should try the upcoming "interactive software" for lack of a better word named Brain Age: Train your Brain in Minutes a Day. The japanese baby boomer generation is keeping their brains sharp by performing brain teasers in the blink of an eye.

In summary, you should seek therapy. You see... I'm not against therapy
for seriously disturbed individuals.

Last edited:
XShipRider said:
Nice leap in logic. What does that have to do with what I posted or your
original post?
I'm deeply sorry. I didn't expect you to be incapable of infering. Let's see if I can put this in a way that even you can understand.

You talk about how your grandmother saying proverbs that are still with you today. That is how you were brought up, and it is very difficult to change your parenting ways from the ways your parents raised you. That is not an insult like the above paragraph was. That's normal. Your parents really set the rules for your parenting practices, whether you notice it or not. But Huck Finn saw things a different way. He accepted the risk of getting in serious trouble because he knew what the authorities (in your case, you grandmother) were telling him were morally wrong. Scholars everywhere agree that Huck was the right one, and he broke rules.

Does that make any sense at all in your simple little mind?

I was not mocking you. But I have to admit, it's hard to follow your
thought processes here.
I know that. I was just putting that in for reference for why I am using literature in debates.

Since you classed me as both a) old, and b) against technology, can I do
the same to you here? You are young, racist, foolish and in dire need of a
dictionary or spell-checker.
Maybe I am those things, but how does that make my argument in the first post any less valid?

In summary, you should seek therapy. You see... I'm not against therapy
for seriously disturbed individuals.
I find it odd that you call me "seriously disturbed" when I haven't even been confronted by the police in my life yet, much less put in anger management classes or other forms of "therapy." I may be slightly disturbed, but how can I be seriously disturbed?

Condescension is your forte, I see that.

My point (other than the one atop my skull):mrgreen: is this...
You had a rough childhood as outlined in your posts. Okay, I
can see that. I was simply (easy for my small, simple mind)
alluding to a simpler time with my caring parents and grandparents.
They gave me a decent start in life, something you obviously
cannot relate to as yours was a polar opposite (as described by
you). I revel in the teachings (proverbs) of my grandparents as
people used to do, this before we started shipping them all off
to so-called retirement homes. We, as a society, no longer
extol the virtues of our grandparents wisdom.

I'm not saying all grandparents are perfect.

"Seriously disturbed" was a bad choice of words, please excuse
with this apology. Your venomous replies point to something other
than simple debate.

Sorry to insult your sensitivities.

Back
Top Bottom