• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Justin Trudeau: ‘The World Is In Crisis, And Things Are About To Get Much Worse’

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Justin Trudeau: ‘The World Is In Crisis, And Things Are About To Get Much Worse’

The Canadian prime minister argued in a U.N. speech that COVID-19 is a “wake-up call” that current global systems simply don’t work anymore.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau warned Friday that the current global order will be upended if leaders across the planet fail to come together to uphold human rights and tackle upcoming threats such as climate change.
Trudeau delivered the grave words in a prerecorded message to the United Nations General Assembly.
“The world is in crisis, and not just because of the last few months,” Trudeau said. “Not just because of COVID-19. But because of the last few decades. And because of us.”

I'm afraid he's right. What do you think?

and Canada has, what, less than 1% anyway of the world's population. Can't be that big of a part of it.
Canada punches above it's weight class on the world stage, but he's only stating the obvious here. 2021 will make 2020 look like 2019.

Canada punches above it's weight class on the world stage, but he's only stating the obvious here. 2021 will make 2020 look like 2019.
OMG! I hope you're wrong, but I think you're right.

Killing democratic reform which would have made our democracy far more representative, plus his litany of scandals which have about exclusively favoured/concerned the rich and powerful. On climate change, Canada has been far from nailing it under his leadership.

The looming menace is not simply a question of 'human rights' and 'climate change' by the way, but declining representation of the public interest, staggering and rapidly growing economic inequality and the rise of neoconserative, neoliberal imposed plutocracy and corporatism in the world (which has in turn lead to rises in extremism and an increasingly restless and revolt minded public,); phenomenons which are unfortunately alive and well in Canada, and which he has done so utterly little to combat thus far.

Last edited:
Killing democratic reform which would have made our democracy far more representative, plus his litany of scandals which have about exclusively favoured/concerned the rich and powerful. On climate change, Canada has been far from nailing it under his leadership.

The looming menace is not simply a question of 'human rights' and 'climate change' by the way, but declining representation of the public interest, staggering and rapidly growing economic inequality and the rise of neoconserative, neoliberal imposed plutocracy and corporatism in the world (which has in turn lead to rises in extremism and an increasingly restless and revolt minded public,); phenomenons which are unfortunately alive and well in Canada, and which he has done so utterly little to combat thus far.

Yeah...I kinda see where you're coming from. Sadly he's our best option at the moment. Conservatives are a hard no, the Green Party are probably twenty years from even having a shot at forming government, and the NDP simply refuses to act like a party that wants to govern. It sucks that the only option for socially responsible Canadians is the gaffe ridden Liberal party, but in lieu of any better option, I guess I'll keep voting for harm reduction, in the hopes that the NDP will get serious at some point.

Yeah...I kinda see where you're coming from. Sadly he's our best option at the moment. Conservatives are a hard no, the Green Party are probably twenty years from even having a shot at forming government, and the NDP simply refuses to act like a party that wants to govern. It sucks that the only option for socially responsible Canadians is the gaffe ridden Liberal party, but in lieu of any better option, I guess I'll keep voting for harm reduction, in the hopes that the NDP will get serious at some point.

Again, I don't know what great sin the NDP has committed that has made it unworthy to govern in your eyes versus a demonstrably corrupt ('gaffe ridden' is a curiously euphemistic description for as much) Liberal leadership. More recently, most of the COVID relief measures that have seen our economy get through this disease relatively well were their brain children. What has Singh done or failed to do exactly?

One world government.

Here's an illustration of the current situation:

120814396_199277231556589_878871421812511771_n.jpg

Again, I don't know what great sin the NDP has committed that has made it unworthy to govern in your eyes versus a demonstrably corrupt ('gaffe ridden' is a curiously euphemistic description for as much) Liberal leadership. More recently, most of the COVID relief measures that have seen our economy get through this disease relatively well were their brain children. What has Singh done or failed to do exactly?

The NDP in general, which would include but not be limited to Singh, has failed to translate their ideologies, which I agree with and would love to vote for, into plausible policy, to where they would be able to get enough Canadians comfortable trying these "radical" ideas. Despite being a different kind of conservative than our friends to the south (traditionally speaking, not including the new wave of Trumpist wannabes that we have crawling out from wherever they previously were), we are still fairly conservative, in terms of how we spend money and having a competent plan in place.

In order for the NDP to be viable, they need to go beyond the granola crowd and the unions. They need to get some good policy writers that can take their great ideas and demonstrate how trying them out isn't going to bankrupt us, that these ideas are sustainable. For people like me, these ideas are too important to be implemented poorly. The consequence of doing so is the shelving of these ideas for decades, before people are willing to try them again - once again, people STILL talk about Rae days. We may tsk at them, call them all kinds of names, but that has no impact on how they vote ... well, it does, but not in the direction you'd want.

So, again, there's no great sin here...and I think their ideas are more than worthy, they are noble and desperately needed. But until they can sell it to the country, which means having a pretty solid plan on how to implement, it's a pass. I'd rather have them in their traditional role as Canada's conscience as the opposition until they have their shit together enough that people can get behind their plans. I guess that's the long and the short of it. In the meantime, so long as the only realistic parties are the Liberals or the Conservatives, I'll support the Liberals, as problematic as they are, because I cannot support the Cons, as, I dunno, super evil / scary as they are.

The NDP in general, which would include but not be limited to Singh, has failed to translate their ideologies, which I agree with and would love to vote for, into plausible policy, to where they would be able to get enough Canadians comfortable trying these "radical" ideas. Despite being a different kind of conservative than our friends to the south (traditionally speaking, not including the new wave of Trumpist wannabes that we have crawling out from wherever they previously were), we are still fairly conservative, in terms of how we spend money and having a competent plan in place.

In order for the NDP to be viable, they need to go beyond the granola crowd and the unions. They need to get some good policy writers that can take their great ideas and demonstrate how trying them out isn't going to bankrupt us, that these ideas are sustainable. For people like me, these ideas are too important to be implemented poorly. The consequence of doing so is the shelving of these ideas for decades, before people are willing to try them again - once again, people STILL talk about Rae days. We may tsk at them, call them all kinds of names, but that has no impact on how they vote ... well, it does, but not in the direction you'd want.

So, again, there's no great sin here...and I think their ideas are more than worthy, they are noble and desperately needed. But until they can sell it to the country, which means having a pretty solid plan on how to implement, it's a pass. I'd rather have them in their traditional role as Canada's conscience as the opposition until they have their shit together enough that people can get behind their plans. I guess that's the long and the short of it. In the meantime, so long as the only realistic parties are the Liberals or the Conservatives, I'll support the Liberals, as problematic as they are, because I cannot support the Cons, as, I dunno, super evil / scary as they are.

I just don't see that happening any time soon.

Jack Layton WAS THE NDP.

Now it's seemingly rudderless and unable to connect with the general voting populace, in 2015, Mulcair was far, far too complacent in my view that they were going to retain, or build upon the stunning success Layton had laid down in 2011.

I just don't see that happening any time soon.

Jack Layton WAS THE NDP.

Now it's seemingly rudderless and unable to connect with the general voting populace, in 2015, Mulcair was far, far too complacent in my view that they were going to retain, or build upon the stunning success Layton had laid down in 2011.

Yup. And if Jack Layton were alive, it would be the NDP in power right now. Mulcair took his legacy and acted like a used car salesman. It will take a couple election cycles before they recover from that...and I mean it when I say unfortunately.

Yup. And if Jack Layton were alive, it would be the NDP in power right now. Mulcair took his legacy and acted like a used car salesman. It will take a couple election cycles before they recover from that...and I mean it when I say unfortunately.

Jack was one of those politicians that was genuine and for the most part, honest, a rare breed.

I always saw him as a bulldog on the side of low income Canadians.

Miss him man, really miss him.

I was honestly... Absolutely gutted when he died.

Jack was one of those politicians that was genuine and for the most part, honest, a rare breed.

I always saw him as a bulldog on the side of low income Canadians.

Miss him man, really miss him.

I was honestly... Absolutely gutted when he died.

Yeah...it was a blow. My dad worked on his campaign as a volunteer...he was that guy, on or off the camera. We missed a wonderful opportunity there.

Okay, so what specifically about the NDP is radical then? Or is it really more about dispelling lingering misconceptions about the party despite the Liberals and Conservatives by contrast both proving themselves awash in corruption? Seems like the latter is what's really going on here.

On that note, how might you expect them to sell their ideas on a shoestring budget and dispel the propaganda you have clearly bought into, now that our political parties are 100% reliant on private donations thanks to Harper's knowing and strategic elimination of the per vote subsidy (and Trudeau's subsequent support for that elimination in seeing an opportunity to starve his left flank and absorb their vote: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/subsidies-political-parties-pbo-1.4510468 )? Given the lack of any Canadian tradition of broad sourced grassroots donations to fill that void because we're so acclimatized to public financing of elections? Sort of a chicken and egg problem isn't it? Most of the NDP's problem isn't the lack of a compelling or practical agenda or ideas, or an anti-charismatic leader (I mean christ, have you seen the Conservative leadership and platform? And they'll be a far more notable political force), it's a lack of resources, pure and simple. In the debates, Singh blew both Trudeau and Scheer away, but too little too late. It's the money Lebowski.

While I don't deny that Jack Layton was perhaps the best and most charismatic leader the NDP has ever known, what sunk Mulcair primarily wasn't his used car salesman persona as the fact that Trudeau was more charismatic and that he alienated his own base by embracing neoliberalism and campaigning to the right of the Liberal party. As I'm sure I've related, I actually voted for the Liberals in that electoral cycle, despite being a dyed in the wool NDP and misgivings about Trudeau (which proved ultimately correct) because Mulcair gave me literally nothing to vote for. It's also an indictment against changing (see betraying) the core of their policy and ideological alignment in a futile and overtly aggressive attempt to dispel the propaganda through policy or come off as 'fiscally responsible' , which was basically the animating force of his campaign.

Last edited:
Okay, so what specifically about the NDP is radical then? Or is it really more about dispelling lingering misconceptions about the party despite the Liberals and Conservatives by contrast both proving themselves awash in corruption? Seems like the latter is what's really going on here.

On that note, how might you expect them to sell their ideas on a shoestring budget and dispel the propaganda you have clearly bought into, now that our political parties are 100% reliant on private donations thanks to Harper's knowing and strategic elimination of the per vote subsidy (and Trudeau's subsequent support for that elimination in seeing an opportunity to starve his left flank and absorb their vote: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/subsidies-political-parties-pbo-1.4510468 )? Given the lack of any Canadian tradition of broad sourced grassroots donations to fill that void because we're so acclimatized to public financing of elections? Sort of a chicken and egg problem isn't it? Most of the NDP's problem isn't the lack of a compelling or practical agenda or ideas, or an anti-charismatic leader (I mean christ, have you seen the Conservative leadership and platform? And they'll be a far more notable political force), it's a lack of resources, pure and simple. In the debates, Singh blew both Trudeau and Scheer away, but too little too late. It's the money Lebowski.

While I don't deny that Jack Layton was perhaps the best and most charismatic leader the NDP has ever known, what sunk Mulcair primarily wasn't his used car salesman persona as the fact that Trudeau was more charismatic and that he alienated his own base by embracing neoliberalism and campaigning to the right of the Liberal party. As I'm sure I've related, I actually voted for the Liberals in that electoral cycle, despite being a dyed in the wool NDP and misgivings about Trudeau (which proved ultimately correct) because Mulcair gave me literally nothing to vote for. It's also an indictment against changing (see betraying) the core of their policy and ideological alignment in a futile and overtly aggressive attempt to dispel the propaganda through policy or come off as 'fiscally responsible' , which was basically the animating force of his campaign.

You know, bud, the biggest problem I have with NDP supporters is that when it comes to any disagreement whatsoever, and scrutiny whatsoever, even if it's said with the honest desire to provoke the NDP to actually step up and be a party for all Canadians, is met with derision and insult. I don't buy into any "propaganda", I live here, I know what's going on, show a little respect, in the same measure I'm extending to you. This "everyone but us are sheeple" mentality is another huge factor in why the NDP continue to fail in Canada. If I'm reading more into your response than I should, all apologies, but holy shit it's common amongst you guys. Let me be perfectly clear: I support NDP ideologies. 100%. But their planning and execution are a joke. They need to get better, and when they do, I'll vote for them, because as I've said numerous times, we need their vision to be made manifest in this country.

As for Mulcair, his shift to the right was part of his used car salesman style. He was willing to do whatever it took to get power, it showed, and he killed the massive lead he started out with. That's not a funding problem, that's an identity crisis.

No, the NDP continue to fail because they continue to capture the attention and trust of the Canadian people.. That's as complicated as it is. And despite this harsh sounding criticism, I say it with the honest desire to see that change. Given the inability to self scrutinize among the NDP and it's supporters, it would appear I am rooting harder for their success than they are. Less excuses, more stepping up. They'll know they're on the right track when they secure enough votes to form government. The changes they propose are radical - I mean, seriously, basic income isn't radical?? lol... But they are important - important enough to do correctly. That's what I'm waiting for. I'm not an enemy of the NDP.

Hes not right. The world is not in crisis. This is just more left wing fear mongering.

Psst... The Liberal Party of Canada, of which Trudeau is the leader, is considered center-right. You guys have far too twisted a perspective on what constitutes "Leftist" in America to be of any use in political discussions outside your own country. Not a diss, just trying to help you out. :) hehe... If you want to do your usual shitting on of the left, you'll have to aim your asshole at the NDP.

In the meantime, the world is in the grip of a pandemic, with all that implies, societally and economically. I'd say he was more accurate than not.

You know, bud, the biggest problem I have with NDP supporters is that when it comes to any disagreement whatsoever, and scrutiny whatsoever, even if it's said with the honest desire to provoke the NDP to actually step up and be a party for all Canadians, is met with derision and insult. I don't buy into any "propaganda", I live here, I know what's going on, show a little respect, in the same measure I'm extending to you. This "everyone but us are sheeple" mentality is another huge factor in why the NDP continue to fail in Canada. If I'm reading more into your response than I should, all apologies, but holy shit it's common amongst you guys. Let me be perfectly clear: I support NDP ideologies. 100%. But their planning and execution are a joke. They need to get better, and when they do, I'll vote for them, because as I've said numerous times, we need their vision to be made manifest in this country.

I mean I specifically asked what is it you think is extreme, radical or beyond the pale about their policy, how they're economically unfeasible, yet instead of an elaboration on these fronts, I keep getting this refrain about them not making their case that they won't bankrupt the country, and can't talk beyond unions and the 'granola crowd' as you've so derisively called the left. Yes I would agree messaging is a part of the problem, but I definitely take affront to these sorts of allegations you are making against NDP policy without providing examples, then taking umbrage at my use of the word 'propaganda' when I attempt to determine why it is you seem to have this sort of reflexive, unjustified take on NDP ideas. If it's that you believe the ideas are fundamentally good, but they have a lot of work to do with overcoming deep-seated biases and prejudices, then is that not a propaganda problem? Moreover, is it not a resources problem given the advertising dollars required to overcome and correct those biases and prejudices?

As for Mulcair, his shift to the right was part of his used car salesman style. He was willing to do whatever it took to get power, it showed, and he killed the massive lead he started out with. That's not a funding problem, that's an identity crisis.

The NDP didn't have a funding problem at the time, nor did I claim it did; my party still had meaningful resources then; it was a Trudeau problem and an alienating its own base problem. Again, Mulcair forced huge chunks of his own base to vote Liberal because of his suicidal right-wing lean and campaigning; the 'moderating' of NDP positions that so many clueless pundits figure would allow it to find success; I was at ground zero, I would know. There's a reason, besides his electoral failure, that he was summarily removed from the party's leadership.

No, the NDP continue to fail because they continue to capture the attention and trust of the Canadian people.. That's as complicated as it is. And despite this harsh sounding criticism, I say it with the honest desire to see that change. Given the inability to self scrutinize among the NDP and it's supporters, it would appear I am rooting harder for their success than they are. Less excuses, more stepping up. They'll know they're on the right track when they secure enough votes to form government. The changes they propose are radical - I mean, seriously, basic income isn't radical?? lol... But they are important - important enough to do correctly. That's what I'm waiting for. I'm not an enemy of the NDP.

Again, why is it that the Conservative party, with a far worse leader, and agenda, does better than the NDP, and will likely do better than the NDP going forward? I can think of only two reasons:

A: Vastly superior resources for getting out their messaging.
B: Entrenched views and prejudices (both pro-Conservative and anti-NDP) that need significant resources to change.

Also, basic income is something the Liberals have hemmed and hawed over; I don't know how radical it can truly be considered, but even if I would grant that, I never heard of the NDP being rejected on the basis of support for MBI and the like; it's always some vaguery about the likes of Bob Rae, or other nonsense prejudice about pie in the sky thinking or some variation thereof by people who don't even know what their platform is.

if we just pretend everything is peachy then nothing bad will happen.

Trudeau should do something to save the world for all peoplekind!

Back
Top Bottom