• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Champion Of Gender Equality, Dies At 87

Status
Not open for further replies.

STUT

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Since I havent seen a thread started on this yet, I thought I would open it up.

"Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the demure firebrand who in her 80s became a legal, cultural and feminist icon, died Friday. The Supreme Court announced her death, saying the cause was complications from metastatic cancer of the pancreas."

First off, RIP RBG, you were a giant and you will be sorely missed. I am at a loss as to what to say about her passing, but I am deeply frustrating and angry that instead of celebrating her life, we were all immediately reduced to talking about filling her vacancy.

Which brings me to my next point (s): What will the Republican senate do? What should they do, given their previous positions in the past regarding open SC seats in an election year? What, if anything, can be done to stop a vacancy from being filled?

jfok7jaal0o51.jpg

Follow the constitution. Both sides are hypocritical. Thats why the constitution exists.

"Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the demure firebrand who in her 80s became a legal, cultural and feminist icon, died Friday. The Supreme Court announced her death, saying the cause was complications from metastatic cancer of the pancreas."

First off, RIP RBG, you were a giant and you will be sorely missed. I am at a loss as to what to say about her passing, but I am deeply frustrating and angry that instead of celebrating her life, we were all immediately reduced to talking about filling her vacancy.

Which brings me to my next point (s): What will the Republican senate do? What should they do, given their previous positions in the past regarding open SC seats in an election year? What, if anything, can be done to stop a vacancy from being filled?

Follow the constitution. Both sides are hypocritical. Thats why the constitution exists.
Couldnt agree more...let the constitutional process work its way out. But for the sake of doing it right, this thing shouldnt be rushed just to fill the seat before the election. Proper vetting and hearings probably cant be done in such a short amount of time and ramming through a nomination would damage the integrity of the court the eyes of the American people

Somewhere there's a list of how long its taken between seat vacated and when it was filled. 6 weeks seemed to be well within that range and certainly Jan 20th 2021 is plenty of time.

Trump will nominate a womanso democracts won't be able to use their stable of fake rape "victims" which should speed up the process.

Couldnt agree more...let the constitutional process work its way out. But for the sake of doing it right, this thing shouldnt be rushed just to fill the seat before the election. Proper vetting and hearings probably cant be done in such a short amount of time and ramming through a nomination would damage the integrity of the court the eyes of the American people

The smart political move, IMO, would be to make the nomination the primary issue going-
into election night, thereby having a base 'rallying cry' - while concurrently taking the coronovirus and other heat off Trump. I'd paint the Dems as obstructionists, and let the nomination fight play-out past election day. That would save the vulnerable Senators from taking a hard vote going into the election, where they are then politically less restrained after.

The smart political move, IMO, would be to make the nomination the primary issue going-
into election night, thereby having a base 'rallying cry' - while concurrently taking the coronovirus and other heat off Trump. I'd paint the Dems as obstructionists, and let the nomination fight play-out past election day. That would save the vulnerable Senators from taking a hard vote going into the election, where they are then politically less restrained after.

That would be the smart play...ramming it through before Election Day would get rid of an incentive for cons to go out and vote. OTOH, confirming a nominee during a lame duck session would delegitimize said nominee in my opinion. I have a feeling that McConnell will be willing to sacrifice the chamber to Democrats for a term just to get another conservative seated on the SC

No one would have cared about the replacement of RBG, if TurtleFace hadn't blocked Garland.

That would be the smart play...ramming it through before Election Day would get rid of an incentive for cons to go out and vote.
And it would save his vulnerable Sens a hard vote that might effect their re-elections. His first goal is to save his Senate, even though he might make the calculus that 'saving Trump' is the most effective way to 'save his Senate'.

OTOH, confirming a nominee during a lame duck session would delegitimize said nominee in my opinion. I have a feeling that McConnell will be willing to sacrifice the chamber to Democrats for a term just to get another conservative seated on the SC
I have little doubt McConnel's highest priority is remaining Senate Leader, so I disagree.

Would you support the Dems waiting if they had the presidency and the Senate?

And it would save his vulnerable Sens a hard vote that might effect their re-elections. His first goal is to save his Senate, even though he might make the calculus that 'saving Trump' is the most effective way to 'save his Senate'.

I have little doubt McConnel's highest priority is remaining Senate Leader, so I disagree.

Fair enough. Then again, this whole thing could be rendered moot and come down to whether four GOP senators can grow a spine. Two (as far as I know) have already said they won’t support the process before the election

Yea right. You are so full of it lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Fair enough. Then again, this whole thing could be rendered moot and come down to whether four GOP senators can grow a spine. Two (as far as I know) have already said they won’t support the process before the election
There will not be enough defections to stop the nomination, of that I have little doubt. I wouldn't even count on these two, though McConnel will give them the room if they believe they need it.

Oh yes they would have. Look what they did to Kavanaugh.

No one would have cared about the replacement of RBG, if TurtleFace hadn't blocked Garland.

There will not be enough defections to stop the nomination, of that I have little doubt. I wouldn't even count on these two, though McConnel will give them the room if they believe they need it.

I also have my doubts that they can get 4 defections. Silver lining could be that if Collins votes to confirm, she’s almost certain to lose her seat. Gardner at this point probably doesn’t care, and Murkowskey isn’t in any danger

Would you support the Dems waiting if they had the presidency and the Senate?
It's not 'who I support', but what I 'believe will occur'. Obviously, both parties would do it if they believe they can get away with it. Why wouldn't they?

I also have my doubts that they can get 4 defections. Silver lining could be that if Collins votes to confirm, she’s almost certain to lose her seat. Gardner at this point probably doesn’t care, and Murkowskey isn’t in any danger
Which is why McConnel will (should) let this drag-out until after the election. Unless in his calculus he believes the bolster it would give Trump would be positively reflected in Trump's coat-tails, thereby puling his vulnerable Senators along. But I'm not sure that's the calculus.

It's not 'who I support', but what I 'believe will occur'. Obviously, both parties would do it if they believe they can get away with it. Why wouldn't they?
Definitely.

Even in the unlikely event the republicans lose the Senate, the current Senate can still vote on the appointment in the lame duck session as according to Ted Cruz, the democrats did with one of Clinton's appointments.

Which is why McConnel will (should) let this drag-out until after the election. Unless in his calculus he believes the bolster it would give Trump would be positively reflected in Trump's coat-tails, thereby puling his vulnerable Senators along. But I'm not sure that's the calculus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom