• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Justice O'Connor warns of Dictatorship

Kandahar said:
Judicial activism is ridiculous; what's the point of even HAVING a damn Constitution if we're going to ignore it whenever we feel like it?

Do you contend that the laws of Florida should in fact have been cast aside, simply because in your view the SCOTUS had no jurisdiction, and Al Gore allowed to "recount until we win" ?

Do you truly contend that demanding compliance to Florida electoral law was an act of judicial activism?

Carl said:
Do you contend that the laws of Florida should in fact have been cast aside, simply because in your view the SCOTUS had no jurisdiction, and Al Gore allowed to "recount until we win" ?

I contend that since the SCOTUS had no jurisdiction, the Florida Supreme Court legally had the final say. I do not know enough about the Florida Constitution to know if they ruled correctly, but I do know that it was not the place of the SCOTUS to overrule them.

Carl said:
Do you truly contend that demanding compliance to Florida electoral law was an act of judicial activism?

Yes.

Well, then you can take great comfort in the knowledge that Bush would have won in any case, as demonstrated by the CNN Special Report I cited.

Carl said:
Well, then you can take great comfort in the knowledge that Bush would have won in any case, as demonstrated by the CNN Special Report I cited.

As I said, the issue is not which putz is currently in the White House. The issue is the usurping of power by the Supreme Court to anoint their candidate for president.

Kandahar said:
So they could've ruled that Florida must set a uniform standard for recounting the votes. They had no business to take it upon themselves to tell them to stop the recount altogether.

They were already counting and the count violated the 14th amendment, the equal protection clause which you liberals always like to cite.........

When the Constitution is violated the SCOTUS steps in.........

Navy Pride said:
They were already counting and the count violated the 14th amendment, the equal protection clause which you liberals always like to cite.........

When the Constitution is violated the SCOTUS steps in.........

If the 14th amendment was being violated they could tell Florida "stop violating the 14th amendment in the way you count ballots." They have no right to tell them "stop counting ballots."

Kandahar said:
If the 14th amendment was being violated they could tell Florida "stop violating the 14th amendment in the way you count ballots." They have no right to tell them "stop counting ballots."

They can't tell the Florida Supreme Court how to rule.You know better then that.........

Navy Pride said:
They can't tell the Florida Supreme Court how to rule.You know better then that.........

That's not what I said and you know it. :spin:

Well the way I see it we already have (for all intents and perposses)
a dictator ship. It the monopoly that the REPS&DEMS have on the
US Government,

Look:
The Dems&Reps have been in power for more than 110yrs!
They still screw over the American People and get re-elected?
Why & how can this be?????

The Reps are currently taking full advantage of the Corrupt
Voting system that the REPS&DEMS have in place!

Remember
In 1992
Clinton got ~42% of the poeples Vote --> 70% (Electroial )
Bush Sr got ~39% of the peoples Vote --> 30%
Ross P. got ~18% of the peoples Vote --> 0%

In 2000
Al Gore got more votes (The Peoples Votes) but lost!

In 2004
The DNC went to court to keep Ralf Nader off the ballot!

And you think they care about Democracy?!?!?!?!!!

Easy solution:

1) Eliminate the Electoral College. (Make your vote count)
2) Have Immediate Runoff Elections. (Make it accurate.)
3) Vote any non-Dem/Rep party. (Let them know we will make
change! Shape up or ship out!)

This way every vote counts, and every politician
will be judged by the "PEOPLE" Directly!!!!

hipsterdufus said:
I agree with you but for different reasons. I'll never forgive her for succumbing to pressure and annointing GWB to the presidency in 2000.

The Florida vote was already legally certified, can you cite the ruling that appointed Bush to the presidency else admit your statement is bogus whining.

hipsterdufus said:
Now that she's retired, she can speak out about this issue. She couldn't do so while on the bench.

This is a valid, important issue. If you look at the Terry Shiavo case, when the courts repeatedly ruled against the parents, they were following existing law. Yet, the politicians kept claiming "judicial activism".......it was nothing of the sort! At one point, one of the judges wrote an opinion (which I'm sure not many people bothered to read, allowing the media to give them the 30 second sound bite summary) that lambasted the politicians for saying that the rulings were judicial activism, and stating that if the court ruled the way the politicians wanted them to, it WOULD be judicial activism. I was surprised to see that, most judges would not enter into such a subject while issuing an opinion. It shows how frustrated the judiciary is with being portrayed as activist when they are not.

The threats she talks about in this speech are real, and the issue needs discussion. I applaud her for talking about it, and I hope she continues to do so. The judiciary needs to be independent, and the threats against judges who rule against the right wing agenda are a threat to our democracy.

Hey I know I will get flamed for this post, but oh well.

To Religious Zealots: THE US COURT SYSTEM IS NO PLACE TO SLAM THE BIBLE DOWN PEOPLES THROATS! STOP THREATENING JUDGES, IT DOES NOT HELP.

To the ACLU: THE COURT SYSTEM IS NO PLACE TO BE TRYING TO ADVANCE YOUR AGENDA. I AM MODERATE-TO-LIBERAL ON MOST SOCIAL ISSUES, BUT YALL GO TO FAR! THIS COUNTRY IS NOT YET READY FOR YOUR AGENDA.

Here are why Federal Judges are making foolish decisions:

• People (religious nutjobs, and tree huggers alike) are abusing the court system to advance their agenda.
  • We do not have enough federal judges! It has been at the same number for 16 years now, but the case load has far increased.
  • For the love of Jesus Christ, split the ******** ninth court of appeals!!!! Not all of them are liberal, but most of them are insane.
  • They have to worry about what decisions are put out, they literally have to risk their lives.

And I think the US Congress should take my court suggesstions into reality.

1. Split the ninth court of appeals.
  2. Add "Judges" to hate crime protection, cause they need it. lmao
  3. I agree with Chief Justice Roberts, add more judges, and increase pay.
  4. and restrict unneccessary lawsuits.

YALL BETTER FOLLOW MY PROPOSALS OR THIS STORY WILL BE A REALITY ONE DAY!!

Activist Judge Cancels Christmas
December 14, 2005 | Issue 41•50

WASHINGTON, DC—In a sudden and unexpected blow to the Americans working to protect the holiday, liberal U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Stephen Reinhardt ruled the private celebration of Christmas unconstitutional Monday.

Per the court order, city workers take down the Christmas tree from New York's Rockefeller Plaza.
"In accordance with my activist agenda to secularize the nation, this court finds Christmas to be unlawful," Judge Reinhardt said. "The celebration of the birth of the philosopher Jesus—be it in the form of gift-giving, the singing of carols, fanciful decorations, or general good cheer and warm feelings amongst families—is in violation of the First Amendment principles upon which this great nation was founded."

In addition to forbidding the celebration of Christmas in any form, Judge Reinhardt has made it illegal to say "Merry Christmas." Instead, he has ruled that Americans must say "Happy Holidays" or "Felices Fiestas" if they wish to extend good tidings.

Within an hour of the judge's verdict, National Guard troops were mobilized to enforce the controversial ruling.

"Sorry, kids, no Christmas this year," Beloit, WI mall Santa Gene Ernot said as he was led away from his Santa's Village in leg irons. "Write to your congressman to put a stop to these liberal activist judges. It's up to you to save Christmas! Ho ho ho!"

Said Pvt. Stanley Cope, who tasered Ernot for his outburst: "We're fighting an unpopular war on Christmas, but what can we do? The military has no choice but to take orders from a lone activist judge."

Across America, the decision of the all-powerful liberal courts was met with shock and disappointment, as American families quietly took down their holiday decorations and canceled their plans to gather and make merry.

"They've been chipping away at Christmas rights for decades," Fox News personality John Gibson said. "Even before this ruling, you couldn't hear a Christmas song on the radio or in a department store. I hate to say it, America, but I told you so."

Judge Stephen Reinhardt of the U.S. 9th Circuit of Appeals issues his ruling.
Gibson then went into hiding, vowing to be a vital part of the Christmas resistance that would eventually triumph and bring Christmas back to the United States and its retail stores.

The ban is not limited to the retail sector. In support of Reinhardt's ruling, Sen. Ted Kennedy, a Jew, introduced legislation that would mandate the registration of every Christian in the United States and subject their houses to random searches to ensure they are not celebrating Christmas.

"Getting rid of every wreath or nativity scene is not enough," Kennedy said. "In order to ensure that Americans of every belief feel comfortable in any home or business, we must eliminate all traces of this offensive holiday. My yellow belly quakes with fear at the thought of offending any foreigners, atheists, or child molesters."

America's children are bearing the brunt of Reinhardt's marginal, activist rulings.

"Why did the bad man take away Christmas?" 5-year-old Danny Dover said. "I made a card for my mommy out of paper and glue, and now I can't give it to her."

Shortly after Dover issued his statement, police kicked down his door, removed his holiday tree, confiscated his presents, and crushed his homemade card underfoot.

A broad, bipartisan coalition of lawmakers has been working closely with the White House, banding together in the hope of somehow overruling the decision. So far, however, their efforts have been fruitless.

"Our hearts go out to the Americans this ruling affects," Sen. Chip Pickering (R-MS) said. "If it's any condolence, I wish you all a Happy Holidays, which, I'm afraid, is all I'm legally allowed to say at this time."

Back
Top Bottom