• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Justice Dept. Creating Unit Focused on Domestic Terrorism

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department is establishing a specialized unit focused on domestic terrorism, the department's top national security official told lawmakers Tuesday as he described an “elevated” threat from violent extremists in the United States.

Assistant Attorney General Matthew Olsen, testifying just days after the nation observed the one-year anniversary of the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, said the number of FBI investigations into suspected domestic violent extremists has more than doubled since the spring of 2020.

“We have seen a growing threat from those who are motivated by racial animus, as well as those who ascribe to extremist anti-government and anti-authority ideologies,” Olsen said.

Olsen's assessment about growing domestic threats tracked with a warning last March from FBI Director Christopher Wray, who testified that the threat was “metastasizing.” Jill Sanborn, the executive assistant director in charge of the FBI's national security branch who testified alongside Olsen, said Tuesday the greatest threat comes from lone extremists or small cells who radicalize online and look to carry out violence at so-called “soft targets.”

Sen. Richard Durbin of Illinois, the Democratic chairman of the committee, played video of the Jan. 6 riot at the outset of the hearing and urged everyone on the committee to “use this hearing to explicitly condemn the use or threat of violence to advance political goals.”

--

O.K., this is a start.

I suspect the rioters/attackers/insurgents/revolutionaries - whatever your choice of words are for 1/6 - will have to face that they may have unleashed more troubles upon themselves than they realized.

And, be aware that these guys will also go after any organized violence of the type that occurred in Minneapolis & Portland. And that too, is a good thing!

Good!

--

O.K., this is a start.

I suspect the rioters/attackers/insurgents/revolutionaries - whatever your choice of words are for 1/6 - will have to face that they may have unleashed more troubles upon themselves than they realized.

And, be aware that these guys will also go after any organized violence of the type that occurred in Minneapolis & Portland. And that too, is a good thing!

Good!
If that turns out to be true, then, I will be happy to see it happen.

However, I worry this is, instead, going to become a domestic club to wield against political opponents. :(

However, I worry this is, instead, going to become a domestic club to wield against political opponents. :(
Wow I was going to come in and post about how long it would take for some right winger to claim this is some type of political fascist governmental suppression of conservative political groups, and you beat me to it in post #2. Unreal.

--

O.K., this is a start.

Good!

Good luck with that.

Liberals allowed radicals to take over entire city neighborhoods while calling it a summer of love.

Wow I was going to come in and post about how long it would take for some right winger to claim this is some type of political fascist governmental suppression of conservative political groups, and you beat me to it in post #2. Unreal.
🤷‍♂️ I said I worried it would be used against domestic political opponents - it's always easiest to see the speck in another's eye than a log in your own.

Good luck with that.

Liberals allowed radicals to take over entire city neighborhoods while calling it a summer of love.
too bad there wasn't a domestic terrorism unit under Trump to go after antifa

Trump "declared" antifa domestic terrorists iirc.

Whatever became of Trump's efforts on that front?

Also, when the GOP controlled both houses of Congress during the first two years of Trump's presidency, why didn't they get the border wall etc. done?
You think they would have started with the thing which are most important to the country when they had the chance to really make a difference.
hmmm

When the Government is allowing and taking part in so much corruption the People need to stand against them !
the People need to stand against the government . . . with domestic terrorism?

If you don't mean to imply that "with terrorism" bit at the end, why are you sympathizing with potential domestic terrorists like antifa?

the People need to stand against the government . . . with domestic terrorism?

If you don't mean to imply that "with terrorism" bit at the end, why are you sympathizing with potential domestic terrorists like antifa?
Antifa is a world wide non-organization. That's hardly domestic.

January 6, 2021 was a national disgrace and everyone understands this.

But Liberals/Progressives didn't give a shit about law and order until those morons rioted inside the capital building on Jan. 6, 2021

****ing hypocrites.......every last one of them.

Abundantly!

That is the danger. And, it also is perhaps even more danger if they pass domestic terrorist legislation, which was discussed in other articles on this subject. That, would be a real danger IMO.

But something has to be done, because between BLM Summer & 1/6 Winter. Just like Nixon's 'Silent Majority', a lot of us are getting really sick & tired of this stuff.

Check this out, below. Hard to believe the video below is the successor to grant Park in '68! Watch it, and tell me it doesn't make you sick to your stomach.

Last edited:

Yes, but he does have reasonable concern. I'm happy to see the department created, yet I'm concerned too!

The scariest part is if they pass the domestic terrorism legislation that is allied to the creation of the new department.

We need law and order, but there is a danger in using that against us citizens.

--

O.K., this is a start.

Good!
I have zero problem with increased scrutiny and enforcement over domestic terrorism no matter what the source, be it left or right.

Particularly, anything like the infamous January 6th insurrection.

If they are violent they need to be shut down.

🤷‍♂️ I said I worried it would be used against domestic political opponents - it's always easiest to see the speck in another's eye than a log in your own.
Then how should the threat be dealt with. Just wait until another attack happens?

The insurrectionists and their supporters are going to be pissed.

But I think sane Americans already know who to report.

When the Government is allowing and taking part in so much corruption the People need to stand against them !
Violently? Is this an endorsement of violently attacking our own government?

The way to reduce corruption is by uniting against the super-rich. Support anti-corruption candidates.

January 6, 2021 was a national disgrace and everyone understands this.

But Liberals/Progressives didn't give a shit about law and order until those morons rioted inside the capital building on Jan. 6, 2021

****ing hypocrites.......every last one of them.
BS.

Everyone wants law and order.

Republicans have a lot more in common with Democrats than most Republicans will admit. We all want a more perfect Union, Justice, domestic Tranquility, common defense, a promoted general Welfare, and the Blessings of Liberty.

Abundantly!

That is the danger. And, it also is perhaps even more danger if they pass domestic terrorist legislation, which was discussed in other articles on this subject. That, would be a real danger IMO.

But something has to be done, because between BLM Summer & 1/6 Winter. Just like Nixon's 'Silent Majority', a lot of us are getting really sick & tired of this stuff.

Check this out, below. Hard to believe the video below is the successor to grant Park in '68! Watch it, and tell me it doesn't make you sick to your stomach.

Agitators.

People have become radicalized online. Then they seek to turn peaceful protests violent. The video talked extensively about it. They did not appear to be the same people who organized the protest. Protest organizers have no control over this. It would be like an online message forum with no moderation. Of course the worst elements are going to represent an outsized influence.

Good luck with that.

You seem to be mixing up very separate decades.

Back
Top Bottom