• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Justice Department investigating potential presidential pardon bribery scheme, court records reveal

W_Heisenberg

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Well, well, well....this is interesting.

The Justice Department is investigating a potential crime related to funneling money to the White House or related political committee in exchange for a presidential pardon, according to court records unsealed Tuesday in federal court. The case is the latest legal twist in the waning days of President Donald Trump's administration after several of his top advisers have been convicted of federal criminal charges and as the possibility rises of Trump giving pardons to those who've been loyal to him.

The disclosure is in 20 pages of partially redacted documents made public by the DC District Court on Tuesday afternoon. The records show Chief Judge Beryl Howell's review in August of a request from prosecutors to access documents obtained in a search as part of a bribery-for-pardon investigation. The filings don't reveal a timeline of the alleged scheme, or any names of people potentially involved, except that communications between people including at least one lawyer were seized from an office that was raided sometime before the end of this summer.

This is the link to the disclosure/unsealing of the court records referenced in the article:

The Justice Department is investigating a potential crime related to funneling money to the White House or related political committee in exchange for a presidential pardon, according to court records unsealed Tuesday in federal court. The case is the latest legal twist in the waning days of President Donald Trump's administration after several of his top advisers have been convicted of federal criminal charges and as the possibility rises of Trump giving pardons to those who've been loyal to him.

The disclosure is in 20 pages of partially redacted documents made public by the DC District Court on Tuesday afternoon. The records show Chief Judge Beryl Howell's review in August of a request from prosecutors to access documents obtained in a search as part of a bribery-for-pardon investigation. The filings don't reveal a timeline of the alleged scheme, or any names of people potentially involved, except that communications between people including at least one lawyer were seized from an office that was raided sometime before the end of this summer.

Trump motto: “So many crimes, so little time”.

Can people be that stupid- yep = Nothing will touch Don Donnie

Prosecutors told the court they wanted permission to the filter team's holdings. The prosecutors believed the devices revealed emails that showed allegedly criminal activity, including a "secret lobbying scheme" and a bribery conspiracy that offered "a substantial political contribution in exchange for a presidential pardon or reprieve of sentence" for a convicted defendant whose name is redacted, according to the redacted documents.

Wanna bet its Roger Stone?

(CNN)The Justice Department is investigating a potential crime related to funneling money to the White House or related political committee in exchange for a presidential pardon, according to court records unsealed Tuesday in federal court.
The case is the latest legal twist in the waning days of President Donald Trump's administration after several of his top advisers have been convicted of federal criminal charges and as the possibility rises of Trump giving pardons to those who've been loyal to him.
The disclosure is in 20 pages of partially redacted documents made public by the DC District Court on Tuesday afternoon. The records show Chief Judge Beryl Howell's review in August of a request from prosecutors to access documents obtained in a search as part of a bribery-for-pardon investigation.

....ah, has Donnie gone full Rod Blagojevich? Selling the power of his office to the highest bidder? That landed old Rodney a stint in a fed pen in Colorado. Then again, he did get pardoned..... um, is there a connection here?

Well, Donnie, I'm sure Rod's old cell is available....and Colorado winter's are actually quite mild. You can play golf year round, assuming your not detained by iron bars....and there is golf course right next to the pen, so you watch since you won't be able to play.

I think this puppy has strong legs
Lots of redactions....who would be stupid enough to do it? Rudy, Stone or Cohen?

Lots of redactions....who would be stupid enough to do it? Rudy, Stone or Cohen?
My money is not on them, but the stupid is astonishing if this as it appears tp have traction.

2021- so many Trump/Family/Cronies investigations to come

I expect a rash of preemptive Pardons akin to Nixon's before he leaves

IMHO- Rudy, Mantafort, will be on a long list

An area often ignored is how Trump is changing grades in the civil service, where they can hide their supporters, and fire enemies

The smell of a Banana Republic will be difficult to repair

Any DOJ new investigations of Trump would be called payback/secret State/a purge and CT would run wild

That said, even if the evidence was there, Trump to serve time, well I am against that as it would tear the country further apart

Now State investigations are on the table

So yes I do expect a number of the Trump family will face investigations, and IMHO charges at the NY State level in 21/22

Wanna bet its Roger Stone?

(CNN)The Justice Department is investigating a potential crime related to funneling money to the White House or related political committee in exchange for a presidential pardon, according to court records unsealed Tuesday in federal court.
The case is the latest legal twist in the waning days of President Donald Trump's administration after several of his top advisers have been convicted of federal criminal charges and as the possibility rises of Trump giving pardons to those who've been loyal to him.
The disclosure is in 20 pages of partially redacted documents made public by the DC District Court on Tuesday afternoon. The records show Chief Judge Beryl Howell's review in August of a request from prosecutors to access documents obtained in a search as part of a bribery-for-pardon investigation.
Is anyone surprised?

Biden better get a tough A.G. in there, that will take this shit serious. And for God's sake, two things we need to examine are the power of pardon & the Electoral College. Both are far too prone to abuse. As well as the President's emergency powers and the administrations's abilities to ignore Congressional subpoena..

We need to clean-up the E.C. & Presidency, IMNSHO.

Is anyone surprised?

Biden better get a tough A.G. in there, that will take this shit serious. And for God's sake, two things we need to examine are the power of pardon & the Electoral College. Both are far too prone to abuse. As well as the President's emergency powers and the administrations's abilities to ignore Congressional subpoena..

We need to clean-up the E.C. & Presidency, IMNSHO.
If the AG goes after Trump it will look like political payback
Though we know Trump/Barr abused DOJ and created bogus investigations, that many (90% range) were defending as legitimate

That thinking will make them willing puppets for Trump/other spouting that the AG is conducting political persecutions.

Myself i would leave it to the NY investigations, and any SDNY had open

Starting new ones on Trump will be corrosive

I never thought I would see the day, where i would be against charging a President after leaving office.
IMO he is guilty as sin

It would take compelling evidence of corruption for me to change my mind

Now the family/cronies - fair game

The only family member innocent is his son

Grifters gonna grift.

Though we know Trump/Barr abused DOJ and created bogus investigations, that many (90% range) were defending as legitimate

That thinking will make them willing puppets for Trump/other spouting that the AG is conducting political persecutions.

I never thought I would see the day, where i would be against charging a President after leaving office.
IMO he is guilty as sin

It's a tough decision, but if I were Biden I'd give the A.G. free rein. I really don't care what it may look like, If there's criminality in our government, I want it rooted-out. Let the chips fall where they may,

IMO he is guilty as sin

I don't know about that last line, Michael Cohen produced one of the checks to stormy Daniels that was signed by Don Jr.

IMO he is guilty as sin

Yes, we used to think JUST like you, and pardoned Nixon, which begat Cheney and Rumsfeld. Iran contra. Iraq war. All of that, due to NOT prosecuting Nixon. It encouraged those vile youngsters, to disregard legalities and decencies. We dont want to suffer this again. Trump needs to become our flashing neon sign, dont try presidentin', unless you are serious, and you know your shit.

Back
Top Bottom