• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Justice Department investigating handling of White House records taken to Mar-a-Lago after Trump left office

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The short of it:

House Oversight Committee to National Archives: "Give us the 15 boxes of classified information that Trump took with him to Mar-a-lago."
National Archives: "Okay."
DOJ: "Not so fast."
HOC: "What? Why?"
DOJ: "Because we're investigating him, and that's our evidence."

" (CNN)The Justice Department has begun investigating the handling 15 boxes of White House records, including classified information, taken to Mar-a-Lago after former President Donald Trump left office, a source familiar with the matter tells CNN.

This comes as the Justice Department is blocking the National Archives from sharing details on the boxes with Congress, which has launched its own investigation.

The FBI and Justice prosecutors routinely conduct reviews when classified materials are found to have been handled or stored in ways that don't meet government requirements. Moving and storing classified information to the former President's private club in Florida would appear to fall outside those requirements.

It is also common practice for the Justice Department to limit information that government agencies share with Congress while an investigation is ongoing."

The short of it:

House Oversight Committee to National Archives: "Give us the 15 boxes of classified information that Trump took with him to Mar-a-lago."

" (CNN)The Justice Department has begun investigating the handling 15 boxes of White House records, including classified information, taken to Mar-a-Lago after former President Donald Trump left office, a source familiar with the matter tells CNN.

This comes as the Justice Department is blocking the National Archives from sharing details on the boxes with Congress, which has launched its own investigation.

The FBI and Justice prosecutors routinely conduct reviews when classified materials are found to have been handled or stored in ways that don't meet government requirements. Moving and storing classified information to the former President's private club in Florida would appear to fall outside those requirements.

It is also common practice for the Justice Department to limit information that government agencies share with Congress while an investigation is ongoing."

But Hunter Biden! And family writing books!

The short of it:

Bet it will be crickets on the right about this....but Hunter being investigated over taxes is big news to them...even though he, unlike Trump, actually paid his

But Hunter Biden! And family writing books!

Here's the difference between the two things: the investigation into Trump makes sense because the thing he is being investigated for is cogent and can easily be understood by all, whereas the conspiracy theory over Hunter Biden is...

e3e088c6a805ccfe1c763147e68c1c58.gif

I have always maintained that Garland was way ahead of Committee on this matter.

I have always maintained that Garland was way ahead of Committee on this matter.

I hope you're right. For someone who is the subject of so many investigations, Trump is conspicuously immune to them. That makes both parties look corrupt.

It's confirmed: the DOJ has begun investigating Trump.

"The Justice Department has begun taking steps to investigate former president Donald Trump’s removal of presidential records to Mar-a-Lago — some of which were labeled “top secret,” people familiar with the matter said.

The people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive matter, said the probe remained in the very early stages. It’s not yet clear if Justice Department officials have begun reviewing the materials in the boxes or seeking to interview those who might have seen them or been involved in assembling and moving them."

Off to jail I hope..tired of this

The short of it:

One question pops to mind:

How does the National Archives have the boxes if Trump took them to Mar-a-lago after he left office?

How does the National Archives have the boxes if Trump took them to Mar-a-lago after he left office?
The article speaks of "recovered boxes."

🤦‍♂️

Seriously?

Oh ok, he returned them to the National Archives. They recovered them after he left office, he didn't take them after he left office.

Oh my God, he's made his slavish Trump defense even dumber.

Trump never took them because, Cope tells us, he gave them back once his dirty tricks were discovered. Nevermind that he couldn't have given them back if he didn't take them in the first place. Nevermind that. Cope says to just believe his gaslighting because....errrr....because ooga booga I guess.

How can you even think to say something that stupid? Jesus.

Oh ok, he returned them to the National Archives. They recovered them after he left office, he didn't take them after he left office.
The "Just say anything" trump supporter defense. Never gets old.

Anyway, it was very important that Trump steal this classified info and presidential records, and he was all too happy to give it back, which means one of two things: the classified info he was afraid of was never there, or he destroyed the classified info he was afraid of. Or, third possibility: at the most benign, he saw no way to profit from that classified info.

Last edited:

I remember when some conservatives went batshit crazy over mishandled classified information…

Clock is ticking…………

1649364143656.jpeg

Clock is ticking…………

View attachment 67384401
A couple articles that, compounded, show that trump's destruction or stealing of records were part of a pattern, and that he knew it was illegal. I don't think it's an accident that trump only breaks laws that require mens rea to prosecute, and we have mens rea.

This is the crime that republicans believe Hillary Clinton was guilty of, multiplied by a hundred.

The short of it:

Great. I'm sure Garland will need several years to cross T's and dot I's.

Great. I'm sure Garland will need several years to cross T's and dot I's.
Biden wanted a ponderous judge, and a ponderous judge he got. Although to be fair, as recent news shows, he didn't expect him to be this ponderous.

🤦‍♂️

Seriously?

Oh my God, he's made his slavish Trump defense even dumber.

Trump never took them because, Cope tells us, he gave them back once his dirty tricks were discovered. Nevermind that he couldn't have given them back if he didn't take them in the first place. Nevermind that. Cope says to just believe his gaslighting because....errrr....because ooga booga I guess.

How can you even think to say something that stupid? Jesus.
Are the things you write about people your real feelings? I was commenting on the actual wording of the article.

If you'd prefer to ad hom attack the people asking questions feel free, it just won't be tolerated much.

The "Just say anything" trump supporter defense. Never gets old.

Anyway, it was very important that Trump steal this classified info and presidential records, and he was all too happy to give it back, which means one of two things: the classified info he was afraid of was never there, or he destroyed the classified info he was afraid of. Or, third possibility: at the most benign, he saw no way to profit from that classified info.
You can also be added to the Mr Person list in my head if you so wish.

Either take things said by me in good faith and answer/argue effectively, or you can be moved on from as well.

I remember when some conservatives went batshit crazy over mishandled classified information…
And still would. He should be punished as anyone should if they mishandle classified information, but precedents has kinda been set at this point.

And still would. He should be punished as anyone should if they mishandle classified information, but precedents has kinda been set at this point.
That false equivalency deserves some kind of Olympics award.

1) Keeping a private email server with no criminal intent.

vs

2) Stealing boxes and boxes of classified information and records with criminal intent.

Last edited:
Sooner or later Trump's luck is gonna run out.

It did for Al Capone, Jesse James and Billy The Kid.

Back
Top Bottom