• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Justice Department Finds Yale Illegally Discriminates Against Asians and Whites

aociswundumho

Capitalist Pig
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Justice Department Finds Yale Illegally Discriminates Against Asians and Whites in Undergraduate Admissions in Violation of Federal Civil-Rights Laws | OPA | Department of Justice

The Department of Justice today notified Yale University of its findings that Yale illegally discriminates against Asian American and white applicants in its undergraduate admissions process in violation of Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. The findings are the result of a two-year investigation in response to a complaint by Asian American groups concerning Yale's conduct.

"There is no such thing as a nice form of race discrimination," said Assistant Attorney General Eric Dreiband for the Civil Rights Division. "Unlawfully dividing Americans into racial and ethnic blocs fosters stereotypes, bitterness, and division. It is past time for American institutions to recognize that all people should be treated with decency and respect and without unlawful regard to the color of their skin."

Tough luck, progressives. Looks like Yale will be judging undergrads by their achievements and the content of their character, instead of by the color of their skin, as the political left would prefer.

Colleges and universities also discriminate based on class and wealth.

Perhaps, if colleges and universities doubled their acceptance rate they wouldn't have a discrimination problem and more people would have a chance to succeed.

Justice Department Finds Yale Illegally Discriminates Against Asians and Whites in Undergraduate Admissions in Violation of Federal Civil-Rights Laws | OPA | Department of Justice

Tough luck, progressives. Looks like Yale will be judging undergrads by their achievements and the content of their character, instead of by the color of their skin, as the political left would prefer.

I highly doubt that Yale's admission practices will change in any meaningful way.

Yale is a joke. I worked with Yale guys, my degree was far "lower". Yet, the Yale guys couldn't even keep up with me. Weak degree.

Well, when Congress amends Title VI to include class and wealth universities can be sued for that, too. Until then....

Yale is a joke. I worked with Yale guys, my degree was far "lower". Yet, the Yale guys couldn't even keep up with me. Weak degree.

If they were STEM I'll bet they weren't Asian. The Chinese kids, even the Podunkers, kick everyone's ass. :lol:

20060526082417%21IQ_and_Global_Inequality.svg

Perhaps, if colleges and universities doubled their acceptance rate they wouldn't have a discrimination problem and more people would have a chance to succeed.
If they do discriminate by class and wealth neither is unlawful however racial discrimination is unlawful and Yale will have to stop that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

........someone I’d like you to meet......:thinking

Well, of course, those colleges discriminate against Caucasians and Asians.

In January, 2021, President Biden's DOJ will issue another ruling, viz,. it is NOT discrimination.

You ain't seen nothing yet. During the next four years, there will be many quotas set in all aspects of American life.

And in the coming decades, the remaining Caucasians and Asians will be filing many more suits against discrimination, all of which they will -- of course -- lose.

Last edited:

This determination has no legal power to require Yale to change anything.. It's a determination and the DOJ can pursue it in court where the likelihood of success is doubtful. Regardless, it will be many years before anything changes at Yale either way...

Date:
Thursday, August 13, 2020
Dear Members of the Yale Community,

Earlier today, the Department of Justice informed Yale of its allegation that Yale’s undergraduate admissions practices discriminate on the basis of race, particularly in regard to Asian American and white applicants. As you may recall, the department began an investigation in 2018, when other universities were facing legal challenges that aimed to overturn Supreme Court precedent permitting the consideration of race in college admissions.

Yale has been fully cooperating with the DOJ investigation. We have produced large quantities of documents and data, and we are continuing to do so. However, the DOJ concluded its investigation before reviewing and receiving all the information it has requested.

The department’s allegation is baseless. Given our university’s commitment to complying with federal law, I am dismayed that the DOJ inexplicably rushed to conclude its investigation without conducting a fully informed analysis, which would have shown that Yale’s practices absolutely comply with decades of Supreme Court precedent.

Yale College will not change its admissions processes in response to today’s letter because the DOJ is seeking to impose a standard that is inconsistent with existing law. We will continue to look at the whole person when selecting whom to admit among the many thousands of highly qualified applicants. We will continue to look at what students have accomplished and hope to contribute to Yale and the world. We will continue to create a student body that is rich in a diverse range of ideas, expertise, and experiences. Such a student body greatly enhances students’ academic experiences and maximizes their future success. By bringing people of different backgrounds, talents, and perspectives together, we best prepare our students for a complex and dynamic world.

Yale’s admissions practices help us realize our mission to improve the world today and for future generations. At this unique moment in our history, when so much attention properly is being paid to issues of race, Yale will not waver in its commitment to educating a student body whose diversity is a mark of its excellence.

Yale’s Steadfast Commitment to Diversity | Office of the President

5.8% of students are Black
9.8% of students are Hispanic
42.7% of students are White
14% of students are Asians

Asians are only 5% of the U.S. population. Blacks and Hispanics combine to 30% of the population but are only 15% of students. There are almost as many Asian students (14%) than Black and Hispanic students combined.

It seems an odd argument to make that Asians and Whites are the discriminated group here. Would you feel better if Blacks and Hispanics were even more underrepresented? Maybe if they combined to be 5% of the students?

"DOJ Finds"?

:lamo

Trump ordered Barr to take this approach apart to his appeasement of the racist contingent. He has him doing it in various court filings as well.

Asians are only 5% of the U.S. population. Blacks and Hispanics combine to 30% of the population but are only 15% of students. There are almost as many Asian students (14%) than Black and Hispanic students combined.

It seems an odd argument to make that Asians and Whites are the discriminated group here. Would you feel better if Blacks and Hispanics were even more underrepresented? Maybe if they combined to be 5% of the students?

Well, that is the goal

This determination has no legal power to require Yale to change anything.. It's a determination and the DOJ can pursue it in court where the likelihood of success is doubtful. Regardless, it will be many years before anything changes at Yale either way...

Well, it's a start, in order to stop Yale from judging people based on the color of their skin instead of the content of their character - like all white leftists do.

This is as dumb as claiming whites and east asians are under-represented in the NBA, therefore affirmative action needs to be taken until the percentages for NBA players are exactly proportionate.

Well, it's a start, in order to stop Yale from judging people based on the color of their skin instead of the content of their character - like all white leftists do.

Eric Dreiband will be long gone before this ever see a courtroom...

Doesn't every for profit business "discriminate" on the basis of wealth?

Doesn't every for profit business "discriminate" on the basis of wealth?

Colleges and universities are considered "charities" and are tax exempt. So where's the charity if they're only educating the top 1%?

Eric Dreiband will be long gone before this ever see a courtroom...

He does bring to a good point. Are you as upset that the nba does not reflect the racial breakdown of the US.

If not why is one scenario ok but the other not.

Should the nba be forced to allow people of lesser skill to ensure racial parity.

This is as dumb as claiming whites and east asians are under-represented in the NBA, therefore affirmative action needs to be taken until the percentages for NBA players are exactly proportionate.

But the majority of our corporate and political leaders are not chosen from the pool of NBA players.

Imagine that our CEO's and politicians were mostly chosen from the NBA, then surely that would become a problem.

Moreover, school admission can be based on any criteria. Some schools are first come first serve. Some are done by lottery. There are plenty of charter schools where after you qualify you're entered into a lottery. There is absolutely no reason a school cannot decide that it wants a diverse student body. And admission to a school is just an opportunity to learn. Why deny some groups that opportunity?

Your problem is you assume there is some fair system for admission based on merit. There is no such thing. The child of parents who are scientists, professors, and doctors has a huge advantage compared to some kid born to a single mother in a project. Wealthy kids get tutors and attend special coaching classes. Different school districts have different standards and different facilities.

I spoke to two White teens once who attended a rich High School in Long Island. They told me their school had Bloomberg terminals they used in their economics class. I was shocked. Those things are incredibly expensive. They were donated by Bill O'Reilly. How is some inner school that can barely afford books supposed to compete with that?

He does bring to a good point. Are you as upset that the nba does not reflect the racial breakdown of the US.

Should the nba be forced to allow people of lesser skill to ensure racial parity.

If the purpose of school is to teach, wouldn't you want to teach members from all parts of society? If the purpose is to learn collaboratively, doesn't it make sense to have a diverse group of people to exchange ideas with?

I can open a school and accept applicants purely on a first come first serve basis. If my seats are full, I don't accept more applicants. I can have a lottery. It doesn't have to be a competition.

The purpose of the NBA and other sports is completely different from that of a school. And there are plenty of countries where they have basketball leagues that only allow a certain number of foreign players.

Trump Administration finds white people are discriminated against. Shocker.

Does Title VI of the Civil Rights Act apply to professional sports teams?

Using their analogy. Imagine a Black player suing the NBA for discrimination because he feels the White players in the NBA were selected for diversity purposes. Imagine how absurd that would be.

No, but it certainly could if Congress wanted it to. If it did, we would see the sheer idiocy of choosing teams based on skin color instead of criteria which actually matters. Switch to an academic context and nothing changes - it's still idiotic and racist to use a superficial physical characteristic like skin color as a criterion for undergrads.

Back
Top Bottom