• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Justice Department Finds Yale Illegally Discriminates Against Asians and Whites

Your problem is you assume there is some fair system for admission based on merit. There is no such thing. The child of parents who are scientists, professors, and doctors has a huge advantage compared to some kid born to a single mother in a project. Wealthy kids get tutors and attend special coaching classes. Different school districts have different standards and different facilities.

Opportunity is never equal and never will be. Fortunately, thanks to capitalism, we are living in a time where anyone with an internet connection can learn virtually any subject he wants, as long as he is willing to put in the work and hours of study. What progressives want is for opportunity to go to people who aren't willing to put in the work and hours of study.

I spoke to two White teens once who attended a rich High School in Long Island. They told me their school had Bloomberg terminals they used in their economics class. I was shocked. Those things are incredibly expensive. They were donated by Bill O'Reilly. How is some inner school that can barely afford books supposed to compete with that?

The unstated assumption is that you can't get an education without a lot of money. That assumption is absolutely false.

The child of parents who are scientists, professors, and doctors has a huge advantage compared to some kid born to a single mother in a project.

Yeah, so why not address the issue of single parenthood? Wouldn't that make more sense? And do you really think giving a kid access to a Bloomberg terminal gives him a measurable advantage? What good is it to admit a kid who isn't academically qualified just so he can drop out? You're not doing a student a favor by academically mismatching him, i.e. admitting him at the bottom of the academic pool due to his race, and all the mentoring and tutoring in the world won't change that.

Yeah, so why not address the issue of single parenthood? Wouldn't that make more sense? And do you really think giving a kid access to a Bloomberg terminal gives him a measurable advantage? What good is it to admit a kid who isn't academically qualified just so he can drop out? You're not doing a student a favor by academically mismatching him, i.e. admitting him at the bottom of the academic pool due to his race, and all the mentoring and tutoring in the world won't change that.

Why are you assuming they aren't academically qualified? These are all straight-A students.

If you consider the White or Asian students who didn't get in, doesn't that mean they're at the bottom of the barrel of White and Asian students? It doesn't mean they won't be able to learn and prosper.

Kids don't need a Bloomberg terminal but it illustrates the difference in funding. Some schools barely have working computers.

What progressives want is for opportunity to go to people who aren't willing to put in the work and hours of study.

Nonsense. These are all straight-A hardworking students. I can't understand why you would imagine that minority kids applying to Yale aren't exceptionally hardworking?

I knew a Black girl she got accepted to Harvard. Great grades. Her parents were drug addicts so she had to live with her grandmother. She struggled due to emotional problems in her final year. Her Harvard admission was revoked. She did get into Columbia and graduated.

She obviously had a tougher road than most.

I want to add this video of these two popular political pundits discussing the issue, they are both far left Bernie supporters:

Why are you assuming they aren't academically qualified? These are all straight-A students.

If you look at graduation rates among students who declare a major in STEM disciplines, it should be obvious there's a problem:

"In STEM majors, Black and Latino youth who were from the same family backgrounds as White youth were still more likely to exit a STEM major and leave college without a degree. When you look at other fields, looking at Black and Latino youth who have the same family background as White youth, then they did not leave college at a higher rate," said Catherine Riegle-Crumb, lead author of the study and an associate professor in the University of Texas at Austin's Department of Curriculum and Instruction.

Study Identifies Racial Disparities in STEM Graduation Rates -- SteamUniverse.

If the purpose of school is to teach, wouldn't you want to teach members from all parts of society? If the purpose is to learn collaboratively, doesn't it make sense to have a diverse group of people to exchange ideas with?

I can open a school and accept applicants purely on a first come first serve basis. If my seats are full, I don't accept more applicants. I can have a lottery. It doesn't have to be a competition.

The purpose of the NBA and other sports is completely different from that of a school. And there are plenty of countries where they have basketball leagues that only allow a certain number of foreign players.
Not everyone is smart enough or hard working enough to make it in to Yale. Just like not everyone is talented enough to play in the NBA
Yale is an elite university just as the NBA is America’s elite basketball players. It’s just as wrong to tell a Asian kid who worked his butt off getting great grades and put in all the extra s work required to go to Yale, that he is getting his slot taken by someone who is less qualified but happens to be a different race as it is to tell a black person that has worked his butt off in practice for years that his spot on the NBA is going to a guy who is not as good a him but is white.

Last edited:
LMAO at right wingers who think liberals are dying to defend ivy league privilege mills.

If you consider the White or Asian students who didn't get in, doesn't that mean they're at the bottom of the barrel of White and Asian students? It doesn't mean they won't be able to learn and prosper.

Kids don't need a Bloomberg terminal but it illustrates the difference in funding. Some schools barely have working computers.

Wasn't it part of the suit that the white and asian students had to do much better than the black students to get in?

Back
Top Bottom