• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Just starting to lift weights...

I lift weights everyday. When i lift dese nuts its a good workout. I have to drink a protein shake when Im finished to help build the muscle I tore down. :shock:

The increase in size is only temporary since the mere existence of muscle burns calories and facilitates getting rid of fat.

I definitely need to get my diet in order as well. Lately, it's mostly consisted of fast food and soda. I'm transitioning into more fruits, veggies, beans, nuts, and whole grains, so hopefully I can cut down on my fat intake AND burn fat by exercising.

I definitely need to get my diet in order as well. Lately, it's mostly consisted of fast food and soda. I'm transitioning into more fruits, veggies, beans, nuts, and whole grains, so hopefully I can cut down on my fat intake AND burn fat by exercising.

Well, I just figured the better eating habits went without saying. ;)

OK, I'm a total novice when it comes to weight-lifting (as in, I had to look at the illustrations on the exercise equipment to see how to use it). Last week I lifted weights for the first time since I was about 15...and then lifted again this past Sunday. Ever since Sunday, my muscles have really been aching and I haven't gone back to the gym since then.

Is this normal due to the fact that I'm new to weight-lifting, or could it be a sign that I'm not using the machines properly? I've heard that if you don't lift the weights "correctly" you can do a lot of damage to your muscles. I want to go back to the gym tomorrow, but I don't want to hurt myself. How long is it OK for your muscles to ache after you lift before it could be a sign of trouble? It's been three days now...

Yes it's completely normal to be sore for a few days if you haven't worked out in a while. I had been working out everyday for about the last 4 months and stopped getting sore at all unless I would really over do it, and recently had to cut down to light cardio for about a week because I caught a cold and even with that short week I got sore again once I went back to my normal routine. Your body will adjust and you'll stop getting sore in about two weeks or so.

Last edited:
Went to the gym again today, for the fifth time. Lifting weights is surprisingly fun. The first few times I had to force myself to go, but now I look forward to it.

Went to the gym again today, for the fifth time. Lifting weights is surprisingly fun. The first few times I had to force myself to go, but now I look forward to it.

I'd invest in some home weights or some resistance cords so you can work out even if you can't make it to the gym.

I'd invest in some home weights or some resistance cords so you can work out even if you can't make it to the gym.

True dat.
I never really got serious about working out until I had my own equipment at home.
There are just too many days I don't feel like leaving the house.

Exercise equipment is relatively cheap on Craig's List, and once you have some, you can trade/upgrade it on Craig's List, often without spending another dime.
For instance, if you want some heavier weights, offer yours for trade on CL, or just offer them for sale, then take that money and buy what you want.

Personally I only use one 25lbs dumb bell for one arm curls and resistance cords for everything else, I prefer calisthenics, you can get just as ripped with dips, push ups, pull ups, squats and a swiss ball as you can with a fully stocked gym and it's cheaper and you'll be more fit overall IE core strength. Jail taught me the value of calisthenics. ;)

Last edited:
Personally I only use one 25lbs free weight for curls and resistance cords for everything else, I prefer calisthenics, you can get just as ripped with dips, push ups, pull ups, and a swiss ball as you can with a fully stocked gym and it's cheaper. Jail taught me the value of calisthenics. ;)

Yeah, my husband has this book: link

It teaches all about how to exercise with no equipment.

He still has equipment too, though.

Last edited:
Yeah, my husband has this book: link

It teaches all about how to exercise with no equipment.

He still has equipment too, though.

Ya I got the swiss ball, resistance cords, and the one dumbell, about the only other thing I use are two card chairs for dips, and two books against a wall where I stand on the book with the front of one foot one hand on the wall for balance and one hand on my back and then lift about 50-70 reps for each leg, not sure what it's called exactly but it burns more than 2 miles of jogging.

Last edited:
There's a lot to be said about the old school exercises. Some are pretty darned good.

In theory it sounds right that building muscle under fat just pushes out the fat making everything look worse. I don't necessarily buy into it. It's important to work those muscles underneath, because once the fat starts slowly melting away, you're gonna want to see something. You're building some shape under there. Sure you might still have a bit of a fat bulge hanging around, but would you rather it be pert underneath or sloppy?

Back
Top Bottom