• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Just Plain Silly

tecoyah

Illusionary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I mean....come on, at least KNOW something is offensive to you...before you ban it.

Associated Press
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Television station WTWO is refusing to air a new NBC series that features Jesus Christ as a supporting character.

The station said it would not broadcast "The Book of Daniel," which debuts Friday, because of complaints from viewers.
The show, starring Aidan Quinn as an Episcopal priest who regularly converses with a physical Jesus Christ, has drawn fire from conservative Christians, including the Tupelo, Miss.-based American Family Association.
Duane Lammers, WTWO's general manager, said in a statement posted Wednesday on the station's Web site that he was exercising the station's right to reject network programming.
"I will not allow them to make unilateral decisions affecting our viewers," he said. "If my action causes people in our community to pay more attention to what they watch on television, I have accomplished my mission."
The American Family Association has urged viewers to complain to NBC about the upcoming series, which the group's chairman, Donald E. Wildmon, called "anti-Christian bigotry."
"We expect other NBC affiliates will join WTWO in their decision," Wildmon said.
NBC Entertainment President Kevin Reilly told The New York Times in an interview last month that the show was intended to be thought-provoking.
"Some of the best shows on TV start with the perception of controversy, which is usually not an issue if it's backed by quality," Reilly said.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060105/ENTERTAINMENT/601050485

tecoyah said:
I mean....come on, at least KNOW something is offensive to you...before you ban it.

Associated Press
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Television station WTWO is refusing to air a new NBC series that features Jesus Christ as a supporting character.

The station said it would not broadcast "The Book of Daniel," which debuts Friday, because of complaints from viewers.
The show, starring Aidan Quinn as an Episcopal priest who regularly converses with a physical Jesus Christ, has drawn fire from conservative Christians, including the Tupelo, Miss.-based American Family Association.
Duane Lammers, WTWO's general manager, said in a statement posted Wednesday on the station's Web site that he was exercising the station's right to reject network programming.
"I will not allow them to make unilateral decisions affecting our viewers," he said. "If my action causes people in our community to pay more attention to what they watch on television, I have accomplished my mission."
The American Family Association has urged viewers to complain to NBC about the upcoming series, which the group's chairman, Donald E. Wildmon, called "anti-Christian bigotry."
"We expect other NBC affiliates will join WTWO in their decision," Wildmon said.
NBC Entertainment President Kevin Reilly told The New York Times in an interview last month that the show was intended to be thought-provoking.
"Some of the best shows on TV start with the perception of controversy, which is usually not an issue if it's backed by quality," Reilly said.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060105/ENTERTAINMENT/601050485

Oh brother. :roll: How ridiculous.

Am I the only one that finds this a little backwards? :confused:

Stace said:
Am I the only one that finds this a little backwards? :confused:
I find it backwards, too...

But since I don't want to publicly agree with you, I won't say it under oath...:2wave:

cnredd said:
I find it backwards, too...

But since I don't want to publicly agree with you, I won't say it under oath...:2wave:

Oh, of course, can't be seen agreeing with a liberal....oh, the horrors....:shock:

Stace said:
Oh, of course, can't be seen agreeing with a liberal....oh, the horrors....:shock:
I could lose my keys to the executive washroom...

I disagree. Putting Christ in human form for me would be offensive unless the content is controlled from a respectfully qualified Christian team. Especially if the char is a leading role. No telling what they would have the character doing. Some folks would believe it in the name of God.

What is silly is creating this type of BS for Television.

vauge said:
I disagree. Putting Christ in human form for me would be offensive unless the content is controlled from a respectfully qualified Christian team. Especially if the char is a leading role. No telling what they would have the character doing. Some folks would believe it in the name of God.

I agree, I also wonder if this is not done to deliberately irritate, and then berate Christians, but maybe I am being to sensitive.

Deegan said:
I agree, I also wonder if this is not done to deliberately irritate, and then berate Christians, but maybe I am being to sensitive.

Something tells me that a show starring a priest as a protagonist is not going to cast Christianity in a demeaning or insulting light. The Jesus that they have in the show will most likely be portrayed as divine and wise and positive and all that, it's not like they're going to have Jesus walking around ******** on people and doing coke.

Time.com said:
Jack Kenny, Daniel's creator, says he set out to tell the story of "a family man, a regular guy who's trying to do good." Making his protagonist a priest raised the dramatic and moral stakes. "A priest's family is supposed to be perfect," he says, "so anything anybody does wrong becomes heightened." As for adding Jesus to the ensemble, he says he did it not for shock value but as an outgrowth of what he was taught growing up as a Catholic (he now considers himself Christian but belongs to no church): that one should have a personal relationship with God.

"It's not the Second Coming," says Kenny. Other characters on Daniel can't see Jesus; no water is walked on. "I don't want it to feel like Daniel is talking to himself, but in a way he is. Jesus represents the best part of Daniel's faith." Dillahunt plays him low-key, without thunderbolts or preaching, like a wry, mildly hip dorm adviser. When Daniel says he takes his pills only rarely, Jesus answers, "Ri-i-i-ight." "Could you put more judgment into that 'Right'?," Daniel asks. "Actually," Jesus replies, "yes, I could."

It sounds like a pretty interesting and clever show, really.

vauge said:
I disagree. Putting Christ in human form for me would be offensive
Catholics believe that Christ was in human form. Is that offensive?

461 Taking up St. John's expression, "The Word became flesh",82 the Church calls "Incarnation" the fact that the Son of God assumed a human nature in order to accomplish our salvation in it. In a hymn cited by St. Paul, the Church sings the mystery of the Incarnation:

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.83

464 The unique and altogether singular event of the Incarnation of the Son of God does not mean that Jesus Christ is part God and part man, nor does it imply that he is the result of a confused mixture of the divine and the human. He became truly man while remaining truly God. Jesus Christ is true God and true man.

480 Jesus Christ is true God and true man, in the unity of his divine person; for this reason he is the one and only mediator between God and men.

481 Jesus Christ possesses two natures, one divine and the other human, not confused, but united in the one person of God's Son.

Here is a perfect example of the zealots imposing their will on others. These self-appointed "experts" think that people can't make decisions for themselves. Fundamentalist Muslims feel the same exact way. It is disturbing that some people will believe anything, such as the Heaven's Gate idiots. But should we outlaw religion because of the lowest common denominators? Of course not! It is sad that people think that they have an exclusive license on a historical figure who we only know about through hearsay.

Deegan, I think perhaps you may be overly sensitive on this one.

Vague, as far as a "respectfully qualified Christian team" goes, who gets to be the respectfully qualified people who decides who this team is. I can cite many "respectfully qualified Christian teams" that were totally wrong in the past.

Meh. It reminds me of that Joan of Arcadia show. I kind of liked few I saw. I dont see what the uproar is about.

The show is about a episcopalian priest, not a atholic.........

Navy Pride said:
The show is about a episcopalian priest, not a atholic.........
That's not the point though. The point was that Vauge said that "Putting Christ in human form for me would be offensive". He didn't quantify his statement on the religion.

shuamort said:
That's not the point though. The point was that Vauge said that "Putting Christ in human form for me would be offensive". He didn't quantify his statement on the religion.

Well Catholics have taken enough abuse by the left wing media and I think its important to point out that your statement that it was a catholic priest is in error........

vauge said:

Then don't watch it. As a Christian, I would argue that the religious right does a far better job of blaspheming God and Christian Ideals than any Hollywood Producer could ever hope to do.

Navy Pride said:
Well Catholics have taken enough abuse by the left wing media and I think its important to point out that your statement that it was a catholic priest is in error........

Boo hoo for the Catholics. I like the way the left wing media abused John Kerry.

Navy Pride said:
My statement never mentioned that it was a catholic priest. It never mentioned the religion of anyone on, around, in, or about, the show.

Navy Pride said:

Oh yeah, that whole deal about priests molesting young boys sure was quite the smear job. :roll:

Moreover, last time I checked (as someone who is a former catholic), going by the exit polls, about half the Catholics usually vote Democrat. In fact, excluding the last election, usually well more than half vote Democrat. So why would that "liberal media" target them?

Hell, I have been to Midnight Mass before at have been seated behind a row of transvestites. Some of the most liberal parishes I have ever attended were Catholic.

independent_thinker2002 said:
Boo hoo for the Catholics. I like the way the left wing media abused John Kerry.

The only one that abused Kerry was Kerry......He was a flawed candiddate and a loser who could not even beat someone like GWB with all his baggage........

shuamort said:
My statement never mentioned that it was a catholic priest. It never mentioned the religion of anyone on, around, in, or about, the show.

What does the statement have to do with anything if you were not talking about a Catholic priest?

Navy Pride said:
What does the statement have to do with anything if you were not talking about a Catholic priest?
It has to do with Vauge's statement and Catholicism's belief that Jesus was man. My statement doesn't even mention the show.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Oh yeah, that whole deal about priests molesting young boys sure was quite the smear job. :roll:

Moreover, last time I checked (as someone who is a former catholic), going by the exit polls, about half the Catholics usually vote Democrat. In fact, excluding the last election, usually well more than half vote Democrat. So why would that "liberal media" target them?

Hell, I have been to Midnight Mass before at have been seated behind a row of transvestites. Some of the most liberal parishes I have ever attended were Catholic.

Oh yeah, that whole deal about priests molesting young boys sure was quite the smear job.

You would think that all priests were gay and molesting little boys by the way the left wing media portrayed the priest scandal when in fact there were only 1 percent of all priest involved..............

GWB carried the Catholic vote.............

Catholics believe love the sinner but hate the sin when it comes to gays or tranvestities..........Thye are welcome in the Catholic church

Navy Pride said:
You would think that all priests were gay and molesting little boys by the way the left wing media portrayed the priest scandal when in fact there were only 1 percent of all priest involved..............

GWB carried the Catholic vote.............

Catholics believe love the sinnder but hate the sin when it comes to gays or tranvestities..........
Hate is such an ugly thing to build a religion around.

Back
Top Bottom