• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Just Eat' swallows GrubHub to create food delivery giant

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Just Eat swallows Grubhub creating restaurant delivery giant

Two pioneers in restaurant delivery — Just Eat Takeaway.com and Grubhub — are combining in a $7.3 billion deal that will create one of the world’s largest delivery companies.

Amsterdam-based Just Eat Takeaway.com said late Wednesday that it was acquiring Chicago-based Grubhub, snatching it away from ride-hailing giant Uber, which had been reportedly seeking to team Grubhub with its Uber Eats business.

The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2021. The combined company will be headquartered in Amsterdam, with its U.S. headquarters in Chicago.
=====================================================================
I've yet to try GrubHub, which services some local restaurants. Several restaurants that offer curbside pickup + telephone/credit card ordering are only a few minutes drive away.

Two pioneers in restaurant delivery — Just Eat Takeaway.com and Grubhub — are combining in a $7.3 billion deal that will create one of the world’s largest delivery companies.

Amsterdam-based Just Eat Takeaway.com said late Wednesday that it was acquiring Chicago-based Grubhub, snatching it away from ride-hailing giant Uber, which had been reportedly seeking to team Grubhub with its Uber Eats business.

The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2021. The combined company will be headquartered in Amsterdam, with its U.S. headquarters in Chicago.
I've yet to try GrubHub, which services some local restaurants. Several restaurants that offer curbside pickup + telephone/credit card ordering are only a few minutes drive away.

Best just to order from the restaurant directly. Grubhub and uber have heavy overhead fees that cut into profits of the drivers and restaurant.

I am not sure whether that's a progress to be welcomed.

Best just to order from the restaurant directly. Grubhub and uber have heavy overhead fees that cut into profits of the drivers and restaurant.

Pretty much this. just take the 5 minute drive to pick something up.

"grub" does not sound nice.

i haven't used a service yet, but i just did curbside from a local restaurant.

A little bit off topic, but here is a tidbit about food delivery, and food delivery drivers. Back in the late 1990s thru early 2000s, I was part owner in several Domino's franchises here locally. One of the well kept secrets in the biz is drivers are considered either 'private contractors', or 'employee/private contractors', depending on whether or not they draw an hourly wage, as was the case with my employees. Technically, all drivers are required to carry 'commercial' insurance policies on their vehicles, to not only protect themselves, but to also protect the employer. Long story short, there was a major accident one night involving a driver for a store I did not own part of. The 'victim' ( as the Domino's driver was at fault ) first sued the driver for everything he owned, and then went after the franchise owner of that particular store, and was awarded a huge sum of money as there was a fatality involved. After that, I soon sold all interests in my stores. So tip your drivers, and tip them well. Many, if not most, aren't even forewarned of the way the laws work, and things really haven't changed much at all regarding this legal responsibility.

I'm doing my best to not use these. Calling restaurants directly if they don't have a site.

I was not aware of just how horribly they screw over these businesses, but they do. The article I read is on WaPo, and it seems a lot of people cannot figure out how to avoid the paywall. But if you have reasonable research skills, I'm sure there are any number of non-paywalled articles on it.

Bottom line: the cut that Grubhub-like companies take is obscene, and they really do not provide nearly as much service as they pretend. If you are trying to help a restaurant, call your order in.

I'm done with Grubhub and the like. Just done. **** them.

Yes, and they take a huge chunk out of the restaurant's profits as well.

I'm doing my best to not use these. Calling restaurants directly if they don't have a site.

I was not aware of just how horribly they screw over these businesses, but they do. The article I read is on WaPo, and it seems a lot of people cannot figure out how to avoid the paywall. But if you have reasonable research skills, I'm sure there are any number of non-paywalled articles on it.

Bottom line: the cut that Grubhub-like companies take is obscene, and they really do not provide nearly as much service as they pretend. If you are trying to help a restaurant, call your order in.

I'm done with Grubhub and the like. Just done. **** them.

Agreed.

If we want our favorite restaurants and eateries to remain with us after the pandemic restrictions lift, best make sure our money goes to our favorite restaurants and not these rapacious middlemen.

Agreed.

If we want our favorite restaurants and eateries to remain with us after the pandemic restrictions lift, best make sure our money goes to our favorite restaurants and not these rapacious middlemen.

I wish I'd saved the link to what I read. I was astounded. The services took something like a 20, 25, 30 percent cut, depending on service. So many restaurants are losing money on these. Restaurant margins are so thin as it is.

It also covered all sorts of tactics that I cannot believe are legal, but must be (that or the businesses cannot afford to sue, which is even sadder). For example, we recently wanted to order Sushi. We used to use Grubhub, but I'd since read this article. So I googled the name of the place. Four sites came up. Three pretended to be the restaurant in form without explicitly claiming they were its actual site, but when I clicked on "order oneline", I was redirected to a grubhub-like service. The one that did not do that was the actual restaurant's site.

Exactly!

Who needs such middlemen?

I don't.

Back
Top Bottom