• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Just bought two new computers... FINALLY!

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
We saved up for this, been a hard scrimp but finally, I had a 3k (for the PC's budget) and now it is done.

I was torn between AMD and Intel. I WANTED an I7 core, however to $$ meant sacrificing components. I debated hand building one, I do have the skill, but after our last two died in the same day I don't want to screw up a huge investment. Those two BTW died back in Jan and were old P4 single core PC's that lasted 5 years with my constant tinkering and upgrading.

So, what did I get?? Well, here are the wife's PC stats:

Delphius - CPU AMD = Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8Ghz Six-Core (3.2Ghz+ O/C);
CPU Cooler = Xigmatek HDT-964 92mm;
Memory = 4GB DDR3 1600MHz G-Skill;
Video Card #1 = GeForce GTX 460 1GB 256bit GDDR5;
Hard Drive Primary = WD Caviar 500GB, 7200 RPM;
Backup HDD = None;
DVD Drive = 24x DVD+-RW SATA;
Card Reader = Flash Card reader;
Power Supply = 650W HEC X-Power SLI;
Mouse / Keyboard = None;
Sound Card = Surround HD integrated;
Speakers = None;
Monitor = None;
OS - Windows = Windows 7 Professional 64bit;
Wireless = None;
Fans & Cooling = Maximum Fans Blue LED;
Case = Antec Nine Hundred Two;
Cabling = Hidden *Better airflow Recommended;
Motherboard = Nvidia 980a ASUS M4N98TD SLI;
Free Bonus = Extra Fans 120mm;
Video Card #2 = None (For SLI/CF select second card to match one above)

As you can see, I went with the AMD 6X cpu for hers, the 1055. It's a good solid chip and should last well into 2013-14 before becoming obsolete. The motherboard is an outstanding base for future upgrades. (My PC has the same Nvidia GTX460 so at a later date when either the next level of cards releases OR the GT495 becomes affordable I can SLI those and get the new one for me) While 4GB of ram isn't perfect, I can also upgrade the ram. Same with the sound, it's cheaper for me to by a SB card and slap it in myself then to buy it built in.

Oh, side note, I emailed the company:
Custom gaming computers with extreme performance and overclock. Laptops and custom gaming PC from $599 with free shipping and 3 year warranty.
and asked them what brand grphx card they use and if it had HDMI out, since that affects my monitor purchase, and they not only let me know (it's a gigbyte card) but for free upgraded BOTH of our CPU cooling fans. Right nice of them! Total cost for hers?
$1,440.00

Now, on to mine:

Delphius - CPU AMD = Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz Six-Core (3.6Ghz+ O/C);
CPU Cooler = Cooler Master 28PK-R 92mm;
Memory = 4GB DDR3 1600MHz G-Skill;
Video Card #1 = GeForce GTX 460 1GB 256bit GDDR5;
Hard Drive Primary = WD Caviar 500GB, 7200 RPM;
Backup HDD = None; DVD Drive = 24x DVD+-RW SATA;
Card Reader = None;
Power Supply = 650W HEC X-Power SLI;
Mouse / Keyboard = None;
Sound Card = Surround HD integrated;
Speakers = None; Monitor = None;
OS - Windows = Windows 7 Professional 64bit;
Wireless = None;
Fans & Cooling = Maximum Fans Red LED;
Case = Antec Nine Hundred Two;
Cabling = Hidden *Better airflow Recommended;
Motherboard = Nvidia 980a ASUS M4N98TD SLI;
Free Bonus = Extra Fans 120mm;
Video Card #2 = None (For SLI/CF select second card to match one above)

Now the only difference between ours is that mine has red LED on the fans, lacks a built in card reader and has the bigger 1090 core. Why did I get the core? IT WAS MY MONEY! ;) And I tend to be far more of a power gamer then she is. Again both systems have enough in common that say, when the DDR3 Ram drop enough in price I can toss mine into hers and get some bigger chips for mine.

Total price for mine:
$1,522.00

I was under budget! (free shipping)

So far, the entire experience has been intense, I spent weeks plotting these two. I almost went with an Ibuypower, but I just... didn't get the good vibe from them, and I like helping a small company out. So maybe I spent 2-5% more then I might have had too, but I believe in the end it will be a good purchase. I'll report back in how they work out when they get here next week.

Oh, why did I go with the Pro version of Windows 7 vice home? I always go with the pro version when I can. I like the added features and it's more capable of handling higher ram amounts.

Which monitor will I buy? Tomorrow I will hit Best Buy, see if they have this cheaper, but if not I will get it off the web:

CompUSA.com | P2450H | Samsung P2450H 24 Widescreen Touch of Color LCD M

Samsung P2450H 24" Widescreen Touch of Color LCD Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 70000:1 Dynamicm 1000:1 Native, 2ms, VGA, DVI, HDMI, Tilt

I have some serious love for Samsung. My TV is a Samsung, and the monitor I'm posting on right now, is a Samsung.

Looks great. I build systems and won't build anything that isn't an AMD/Asus. Easy builds, rock solid stability, great support. Most important thing I've learned from builds: put in the BEST power supply you can afford and don't skimp on cooling. I'm not that familiar with the X-Power's. Are they decent?

Rated not bad at all, but the company sent me this:

P.S. we will upgrade both CPU coolers to Cooler Master Hyper 212 for free. It will allow highest overclocks and much lower temperatures
And after a little research, they are better then what I had selected. I agree cooling is king, that's why I spent the extra on more fans and better wiring.

As for the PSU, I went a little budget, not saying those PSU are crap, they aren't. They more then meet the needs of the systems as they are built. When I go to upgrade the Grphx cards, like SLI the wifes, I'll have to put in a new one, but that's over a year away.

Last edited:
Rated not bad at all, but the company sent me this:

And after a little research, they are better then what I had selected. I agree cooling is king, that's why I spent the extra on more fans and better wiring.

As for the PSU, I went a little budget, not saying those PSU are crap, they aren't. They more then meet the needs of the systems as they are built. When I go to upgrade the Grphx cards, like SLI the wifes, I'll have to put in a new one, but that's over a year away.

Cooler-Masters are excellent, though Zalmans are my favorites. Excellent upgrade. Antecs are the only PSUs I'll buy. Every non-Antec I've put into a build has died within 2 years. My Antecs keep going forever.

Cooler-Masters are excellent, though Zalmans are my favorites. Excellent upgrade. Antecs are the only PSUs I'll buy. Every non-Antec I've put into a build has died within 2 years. My Antecs keep going forever.

If either die, I'll just replace them. That case puts the PSU on the bottom, sitting on rubber mounts so it should be much easier to replace then the old bolted into the frame type. I'm very very excited. This is going to be a long LONG wait till they get here. It's a little like Christmas as a kid!

Nice build.

Personally, I tend to go the buy a cheap build every two years route. My last build was for $350 two years ago and I haven't found a game yet that wont play well enough for my taste. Its an AMD dual core 7550 (low power for lower fan noise) am2+ socket, 4 gig of ram (which I might upgrade soon for running more virtual machines), 640gb of hard drive, and I forget the video card. Its an ATI 4850 or 4650, I can't remember which.

I may upgrade to a 4 core phenom and a heavier psu next year or the year after.

My previous build was a pentium 4 @ 2ghz and it lasted me a good five years before the motherboard started having issues.

Sweet looking builds Vic. Pretty comparable to what I just built for the wife and I.

Nice build.

Personally, I tend to go the buy a cheap build every two years route. My last build was for $350 two years ago and I haven't found a game yet that wont play well enough for my taste. Its an AMD dual core 7550 (low power for lower fan noise) am2+ socket, 4 gig of ram (which I might upgrade soon for running more virtual machines), 640gb of hard drive, and I forget the video card. Its an ATI 4850 or 4650, I can't remember which.

I may upgrade to a 4 core phenom and a heavier psu next year or the year after.

My previous build was a pentium 4 @ 2ghz and it lasted me a good five years before the motherboard started having issues.

I go a slightly different route, same concept. I start with a GOOD solid base, and as I need to upgrade, I can. That Mobo/CPU Combo will allow for 4-6 years of upgrade service before I need to replace this, I'll spend about 400 every two years to do it too.

Just got the second PC in. It's... excellent. All I cansay. Runs like a champ.

Back
Top Bottom