• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Just an observation

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I wasn't sure if this should be posted here or in Feedback but as it is this thread will not be well attended anyway (maybe I will be surprised).

I have noticed in my time here a pattern. Not an unpredicted nor unexpected pattern, but a pattern nevertheless.

This subforum is not well attended nor a lot of posts made. Why not? Here, if I read the rules right, we could discuss politics and social issues and our differences in a respectful manner.

I have also from time to time thought of using the Blog section to express why I view the world the way I do vs how others view the world. But when I go to the blog section, reactions to people's blogs are few.

The basement in contrast, is well attended because we get to be nasty. Human nature and all that.

The other subforums that are not The Loft are very active. Typically full of name calling, partisan rants, put downs, angry rebuttals, and whataboutisms.

Again, human nature and all that. People rather yell and scream at each other than have a thoughtful and respectful disagreement about their views.

Wouldn't you thoughtfully and respectfully agree with me?

I wasn't sure if this should be posted here or in Feedback but as it is this thread will not be well attended anyway (maybe I will be surprised).

I have noticed in my time here a pattern. Not an unpredicted nor unexpected pattern, but a pattern nevertheless.

This subforum is not well attended nor a lot of posts made. Why not? Here, if I read the rules right, we could discuss politics and social issues and our differences in a respectful manner.

I have also from time to time thought of using the Blog section to express why I view the world the way I do vs how others view the world. But when I go to the blog section, reactions to people's blogs are few.

The basement in contrast, is well attended because we get to be nasty. Human nature and all that.

The other subforums that are not The Loft are very active. Typically full of name calling, partisan rants, put downs, angry rebuttals, and whataboutisms.

Again, human nature and all that. People rather yell and scream at each other than have a thoughtful and respectful disagreement about their views.

You should probably spend more time up here.

You should probably spend more time up here.
As you can see, and as I predicted, not a lot of activity on this thread because people don't visit this subforum much. So I probably won't spend more time HERE, but rather, return to the "fun" subforums.

I push for discussions. It’s too easy for debate and jousting to become synonymous.

I find it more productive to seek areas of agreement.

As you can see, and as I predicted, not a lot of activity on this thread because people don't visit this subforum much. So I probably won't spend more time HERE, but rather, return to the "fun" subforums.
Well, you could always spend more time here and try to lure people up, but as you just stated you will return to the "fun" subforums were you can bait people in a passive aggressive manner.

I'm helping create more traffic :)

Here's a helpful hint for those who dine alone fairly often--make a BIG meal. You don't have to cook for at least 2 weeks if you get creative when freezing the leftovers.

I think it's the anonymity that the internet affords that allows people to act poorly.
You can't do that in the real world.
IMHO, the internet should never have grown up anonymous.
It would then be a much better place.

I think it's the anonymity that the internet affords that allows people to act poorly.
You can't do that in the real world.
IMHO, the internet should never have grown up anonymous.
It would then be a much better place.
That would be a hard task to pull off. I just don't get the "shame" people don't feel when acting like such asses because they ARE anonymous. AND YES, that does take into account that I have acted like an ass from time to time, but at least I can admit it.

That would be a hard task to pull off. I just don't get the "shame" people don't feel when acting like such asses because they ARE anonymous. AND YES, that does take into account that I have acted like an ass from time to time, but at least I can admit it.

They are being their real selves. They are not acting like asses. We are asses. People are acting in the real world. An adaptation to comunial living which so benefits us.

It would have been very easy to grow the internet without being anonymous.
Think of all the sites you access where you must be you.

Think of all the sites you access where you must be you.
Granted, true, but you can't exactly write a law FORCING social media outlets to be unanonymous. You AND I wouldn't be on here if that was the case, amirite?

Granted, true, but you can't exactly write a law FORCING social media outlets to be unanonymous. You AND I wouldn't be on here if that was the case, amirite?

When Al Gore inveted it 😉 it could have been made legit. Now, forget it.
I would not be here, some would. The folks who post politically on Facebook would post here.
I never post political on Facebook.

Reactions: PoS
Why is THE LOFT three quarters of the way DOWN the page?

When I first started posting, I had to be anonymous because I was a public officer and expressing views in public could get me fired, but I felt it was important to get an informed "inside" look at topics I knew well. Now it is self-preservation of a different kind, as the consequences of exposure can be more dire and permanent.

For me: There’s too few people by which to have a meaningful, long discussion on a given topic.

Back
Top Bottom