• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jussie Smollett sentenced to jail time in hate crime hoax

natman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative

Jussie Smollett was sentenced to 30 months felony probation, which will include 150 days in jail, on Thursday for lying to police about an alleged hate crime in 2019. Smollett, best known for his role in the TV show "Empire," was convicted in December of five counts of lying to police about the attack but has maintained throughout his extensive legal battles that it was real.

Smollett faced up to three years in prison for each of the five felony counts. He will spend the first 150 days of his probation in the Cook County jail, starting immediately, Judge James Linn said. He will also have to pay $120,106 restitution to the city of Chicago in addition to the maximum $25,000 fine.

"Let me tell you Mr. Smollett, I know that there is nothing that I will do here today that can come close to the damage you've already done to your own life," [the judge] said. "You've turned your life upside down by your misconduct and shenanigans, you've destroyed your life as you knew it, and there's nothing that any sentencing judge could do to you that can compare to the damage you've already caused yourself."

At another point, the judge excoriated Smollett's behavior, saying, "You're just a charlatan pretending to be a victim of a hate crime, and that's shameful."

Stupid games get you stupid prizes. The funny part in all of this is Somllett beat himself up to get a little attention and he has received more than he could have ever imagined. I hope he learned his lesson and is able to move forward in life once he serves his sentence.

Good. That unrepentant SOB deserves a few years behind bars instead of just months the lenient judge gave.

This seems like a reasonable punishment. I continue to be impressed by our justice system. In spite of our many divides it continues to make pragmatic decisions, rooted in justice, despite the ongoing disdain of the Left and the Right. It might be the only part of our government, other than NASA and the USPS, that is working properly.

Heard he was whining like a little weeinie. Um....

I sort of wish he had gotten more time in the slammer.

I sort of wish he had gotten more time in the slammer.
I just hope he has quality time with LeRoy and Bubba. Then again, maybe a trans woman will work him over

How is lying about a hate crime not itself a hate crime?

Smollett wanted to change the world, "to bring awareness to these issues" (someone's quote that was defending him) yet he forgot to change himself first.

The russians also send their regards. Your story divided your country more than any FSB thinktank could hope for.

Not to worry, Trump and Al Sharpton will take it from here. They are the key agitators when it comes to race and love people like you, that's how they make their money. Same with the RW Fox News and LW MSNBC, the ratings that they made with this, they probably had champagne at the end.

Attachments

• Trump and Al Sharpton.jpg
    Trump and Al Sharpton.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
And he pulled his stunt at the absolute worse times at the peak of BLM terrorism.

Jussie Smollett was sentenced to 30 months felony probation, which will include 150 days in jail, on Thursday for lying to police about an alleged hate crime in 2019. Smollett, best known for his role in the TV show "Empire," was convicted in December of five counts of lying to police about the attack but has maintained throughout his extensive legal battles that it was real.

Smollett faced up to three years in prison for each of the five felony counts. He will spend the first 150 days of his probation in the Cook County jail, starting immediately, Judge James Linn said. He will also have to pay $120,106 restitution to the city of Chicago in addition to the maximum $25,000 fine.

"Let me tell you Mr. Smollett, I know that there is nothing that I will do here today that can come close to the damage you've already done to your own life," [the judge] said. "You've turned your life upside down by your misconduct and shenanigans, you've destroyed your life as you knew it, and there's nothing that any sentencing judge could do to you that can compare to the damage you've already caused yourself."

At another point, the judge excoriated Smollett's behavior, saying, "You're just a charlatan pretending to be a victim of a hate crime, and that's shameful."

First I was offended he wasn't charged. Now I'm offended because his punishment is too harsh.
I would have been satisfied with forcing him to wear a sign that said "I'm a lying attention wh*re!" while doing community service. This was primarily about the public perception after all.

And he pulled his stunt at the absolute worse times at the peak of BLM terrorism.

January 2019 was not the peak of the BLM protests.

He deserved jail time. There was no excuse for his actions.

Period

Don't lie to the police.

A lesson certain political figures need to learn.

First I was offended he wasn't charged. Now I'm offended because his punishment is too harsh.
I would have been satisfied with forcing him to wear a sign that said "I'm a lying attention wh*re!" while doing community service. This was primarily about the public perception after all.
I thought he should have been fined the costs of the investigations and other associated expenses.

I thought he should have been fined the costs of the investigations and other associated expenses.
He was.
$120,000 in "restitution" for the investigation I guess, and then another $25,000 in a fine.

Now I'm offended because his punishment is too harsh.

It isnt too harsh at all. Judging from his moronic little rant after sentencing, he hasn't learned a damn thing.

The judge was very lenient in lumping all of his convictions into a single sentence. He could have sentenced him to the maximum on each conviction but instead of serving 15 years in jail he’ll only be serving 5 months in jail with 30 months probabtion allowing him to travel wherever he wants.

He was.
$120,000 in "restitution" for the investigation I guess, and then another $25,000 in a fine.
That should have been enough. Nonviolent criminals shouldn't be in prison most of the time.

That should have been enough. Nonviolent criminals shouldn't be in prison most of the time.

I disagree.
He committed serious felonies.

If I can do 90 days for a single driving under suspension, this assklown can do 5 months for wasting the time of multiple Police investigators and trying to stir up the big "Derp, I'm a poor oppressed victim and White people are evil and trying to lynch me" bullshit.
After his moronic rant at the end of sentencing, I sort of wish the judge would have made it a year instead of 5 months. The guy is an entitled dewsh, and he's still insisting he's the victim here. A few months in the pokey will do him some good. Teaches you patience and you gain coping experience.

I seriously doubt he'll do the full 5 months anyway, not sure of the details in Ill or that particular county, but in many cases these folks get released early anyway.
He hasn't learned a damn thing though, that is obvious. Watch his idiotic rant at sentencing. He truly believes his own lies, and was still trying to be some sort of crusader for "oppressed" blacks, it was really disgusting.

We'll just have to disagree on this issue of the sentencing.

I disagree.
He committed serious felonies.

If I can do 90 days for a single driving under suspension, this assklown can do 5 months for wasting the time of multiple Police investigators and trying to stir up the big "Derp, I'm a poor oppressed victim and White people are evil and trying to lynch me" bullshit.
After his moronic rant at the end of sentencing, I sort of wish the judge would have made it a year instead of 5 months. The guy is an entitled dewsh, and he's still insisting he's the victim here. A few months in the pokey will do him some good. Teaches you patience and you gain coping experience.

I seriously doubt he'll do the full 5 months anyway, not sure of the details in Ill or that particular county, but in many cases these folks get released early anyway.
He hasn't learned a damn thing though, that is obvious. Watch his idiotic rant at sentencing. He truly believes his own lies, and was still trying to be some sort of crusader for "oppressed" blacks, it was really disgusting.

We'll just have to disagree on this issue of the sentencing.
No one should be jailed for driving while suspended unless there are seriously aggravating circumstances. Non violent offenders should mostly not be imprisoned.

No one should be jailed for driving while suspended unless there are seriously aggravating circumstances. Non violent offenders should mostly not be imprisoned.

Right. You already said that, and I disagreed.🤷‍♂️

Jussie looks very good in blaze orange ... great contrast with his skin tone.

He got off easy.

Back
Top Bottom