• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jury sequestration: How would you react?

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

I believe one should serve on a jury when called and when possible... and within reason. I would be fine with serving for a long trial, but I would be very upset if I were sequestered.

I would be pissed.

It is violating the liberty of the jury members when they have committed no crime. It's about as cut and dry as it gets.

Sequestration seems an undue hardship. So would serving on a jury where you would lose significant wages.

i would not be happy to be a member a sequestered jury. who would?

there would be all kinds of consequences, both personal and professional. of course work isn't allowed to punish you for it, but just being gone for a long time can cause serious problems even if one has a good excuse.

Sequestration might have a very bad effect on the administration of justice since everybody wants to go home, dissenters might just acquiesce.

Sequestration seems an undue hardship. So would serving on a jury where you would lose significant wages.

I believe one should serve on a jury when called and when possible... and within reason. I would be fine with serving for a long trial, but I would be very upset if I were sequestered.

No deal. I'd flat refuse.

Depends on your personal circumstances - I'm retired, so it wouldn't bother me at all, although depending on who you have to serve on the jury with and if you get put in a room with someone obnoxious, that could be trouble.

I think we as a society expect a lot of jurors sometimes, particularly in high profile cases - the per diem is awful, the hours are awful, and unless you work in government you're losing your salary/wages for that period of time - it can be a real hardship, particularly on the self-employed or small business people or those who live paycheck to paycheck.

All that said, it can be quite interesting and being judged by your peers is the backbone of our judicial systems.

Have NEVER heard of it happening in my area. Nonetheless, I would not be happy if I had to, but I will never have to so it is way theoretical.

I wouldn't even be able to serve on a jury - all the kids - who one earth is going to watch them? Maybe I just don't understand how the whole process works - but I cannot fathom how kids get to school, eat, and all that kind of stuff if they try to put moms or dads on a jury even if it's just during the day without being sequestered.

Depends on your personal circumstances - I'm retired, so it wouldn't bother me at all, although depending on who you have to serve on the jury with and if you get put in a room with someone obnoxious, that could be trouble.

I think we as a society expect a lot of jurors sometimes, particularly in high profile cases - the per diem is awful, the hours are awful, and unless you work in government you're losing your salary/wages for that period of time - it can be a real hardship, particularly on the self-employed or small business people or those who live paycheck to paycheck.

All that said, it can be quite interesting and being judged by your peers is the backbone of our judicial systems.

I don't think you share a room with anyone.. I am retired too so I would read a lot of novels during the evenings.

As long as there were hot babes along with me, I'd be ok with it. :)

Tim-

It's a rare but sometimes a necessary consequence of being selected for the duty.

If I was selected and it was a trial involving a highly publicized and volatile issue, I would understand the need and tolerate the requirement.

It's a rare but sometimes a necessary consequence of being selected for the duty.

If I was selected and it was a trial involving a highly publicized and volatile issue, I would understand the need and tolerate the requirement.

I would require my playmate to be able to visit...

I wouldn't be happy with it at all. I understand the need for it, but it shouldn't be forced on someone. Most people can't live on $9 a day for 1 to 2 months.

Wouldn't really bother me personally all that much. Sure I would miss my family if it ever happened to me, but I would consider it part of the price for a fair trial it deemed absolutely necessary. It really wouldn't be all that different than being out to sea, stuck on a ship, especially when we couldn't communicate with anyone off the ship because of a current condition we were in.

I would do it. Sequestration wouldn't be a big deal at all because I would be getting my notes ready for my future 'behind the scenes' book.

I'd do anything I could to get out of it.

Back
Top Bottom