• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jury selection will start in October for Trump Organization criminal trial

Loulit01

Leftist Filth
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Jury selection will start in October for Trump Organization criminal trial​

In the first public courtroom proceeding in this case in almost a year, Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan denied multiple defense motions to dismiss the case and ordered jury selection to begin Oct. 24.

And away we go...

In the first public courtroom proceeding in this case in almost a year, Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan denied multiple defense motions to dismiss the case and ordered jury selection to begin Oct. 24.

And away we go...
Trump believes tax evasion proves how 'smart' he is. I doubt a jury would be of the same opinion.

Last edited:
Trump's far from the only rich slimeball or Fortune 500 corporation to pay little or nothing in taxes. They do it completely legally because they've twisted the tax code in their favor. The tax code, like the justice and healthcare systems, is broken.

Corporations are screaming about a 15% tax when the average paycheck for working people is taxed at over 30%.

Trump: I paid 0 in income tax, that makes me smart.

IRS: Brah....

Trump's far from the only rich slimeball or Fortune 500 corporation to pay little or nothing in taxes. They do it completely legally because they've twisted the tax code in their favor. The tax code, like the justice and healthcare systems, is broken.

Corporations are screaming about a 15% tax when the average paycheck for working people is taxed at over 30%.
The "average annual income" in the US is $63,214.

The "average person" lives in a household with a total of 3.4 people in it. That would work out to "Spouse A", + "Spouse B" + "Child C" + "Child 0.4D". For the sake of simplicity, round that down to "Taxpayer A" plus "Dependent B" and "Dependent C".

On an income of $63,214 a 35 year old person with two dependents and who takes the "standard deduction" will pay $4,176 in federal income tax. That works out to around 6.61%.

The last time I checked, the only people who thought that $4,176 was over 30% of $63,214 were the same people who believed that the absolute maximum number of COVID-19 cases in the US would never exceed 130,000 and that the absolute maximum number of COVID-19 deaths in the US would never exceed 10,400.

PS - When I was working, I should have been paying income tax at an "effective tax rate" of around 15.2%. I was, in fact, paying income tax at an "effective tax rate" of between 4% and 7% (and actually lower than that once you calculate in the 100% refunds that I received for the last five years I worked).

PPS - All that anyone needs to do to do the same thing is to hire a really good tax planning accountant and follow their income structuring advice.

The "average person" lives in a household with a total of 3.4 people in it. That would work out to "Spouse A", + "Spouse B" + "Child C" + "Child 0.4D". For the sake of simplicity, round that down to "Taxpayer A" plus "Dependent B" and "Dependent C".

On an income of $63,214 a 35 year old person with two dependents and who takes the "standard deduction" will pay $4,176 in federal income tax. That works out to around 6.61%.

The last time I checked, the only people who thought that $4,176 was over 30% of $63,214 were the same people who believed that the absolute maximum number of COVID-19 cases in the US would never exceed 130,000 and that the absolute maximum number of COVID-19 deaths in the US would never exceed 10,400.

PS - When I was working, I should have been paying income tax at an "effective tax rate" of around 15.2%. I was, in fact, paying income tax at an "effective tax rate" of between 4% and 7% (and actually lower than that once you calculate in the 100% refunds that I received for the last five years I worked).

PPS - All that anyone needs to do to do the same thing is to hire a really good tax planning accountant and follow their income structuring advice.
Mean, median, mode. Careful how you use averages.

You're talking about federal income tax. The average person pays much more in taxes and deductions than just federal income tax. In addition, there are all the hidden taxes that people pay and corporations do not.

And away we go...
just a "hoax" after "hoax" after "hoax"

This doesn't include the taxes that the employer pays, for you.

Mean, median, mode. Careful how you use averages.

You're talking about federal income tax. The average person pays much more in taxes and deductions than just federal income tax. In addition, there are all the hidden taxes that people pay and corporations do not.
The original claim was "... the average paycheck for working people is taxed at over 30%" (emphasis added).

That means that what has to be considered is what taxes are taken off the "average paycheck". What the person pays in taxes outside of what is deducted from their "paycheck" is totally irrelevant when calculating what rate their "average paycheck" is taxed at.

PS - If you don't like the calculations, feel free to actually do your own and get back to me.

PPS - In order to be subjected to an "effective tax rate " of 29.7% (still short of the 30% claimed) the sample taxpayer I postulated earlier would have to have a gross income of $900,000. This (I don't think) quite qualifies as an "average income" in the US (although I will grant the possibility that it is the "average income" of some groups in the US [and that means that there is a possibility that someone might not know anyone outside that group "so that would mean that that person actually believed that the "average American" lived in a "three person family" with a "single income earner" whose annual income as "slightly over $900,000"}]).

This doesn't include the taxes that the employer pays, for you.
The 30% tax rate claim was for the taxes deducted from the "average paycheque".

Don't attempt to relocate goalposts in the middle of the game.

Back
Top Bottom