• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jury finds Unite the Right defendants liable for more than $26 million in damages

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal

A jury has awarded more than $26 million in damages after finding the White nationalists who organized and participated in a violent 2017 rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, liable on a state conspiracy claim and other claims.
The jury in the federal civil trial said Tuesday it could not reach a verdict on two federal conspiracy claims.
The violence during the Unite the Right rally turned the Virginia city into another battleground in America's culture wars and highlighted growing polarization. It was also an event that empowered White supremacists and nationalists to demonstrate their beliefs in public rather than just online.

The first federal conspiracy claim was the most prominent against the defendants because it alleged the defendants conspired to commit racially motivated violence while the second alleged the defendants had knowledge of a conspiracy and failed to prevent it.

The events surrounding August 11-12, 2017, saw White nationalists and supremacists marching through Charlottesville and the University of Virginia campus chanting, "Jews will not replace us," "You will not replace us" and "Blood and soil," a phrase evoking Nazi philosophy on ethnic identity.
The violence -- which enveloped the rally to protest the planned removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee -- reached a crescendo when James Alex Fields Jr., who was protesting the statue's removal, sped his car through a crowd of counterprotesters, injuring dozens and killing 32-year-old Heather Heyer.

This is a small victory however these white trash rednecks don't have any money to pay the damages. Also I'm not confident that this will send a strong enough message to them to just stay home keeping their racist hatred strictly anonymous on the Internet.

This is a small victory however these white trash rednecks don't have any money to pay the damages. Also I'm not confident that this will send a strong enough message to them to just stay home keeping their racist hatred strictly anonymous on the Internet.
Dock their ****ing pay checks

Dock their ****ing pay checks

I was about to ask how they could possibly expect to get that kind of money from lower- to middle-class citizens. I guess they will demand a certain percentage of their assets, as little as that might be, for the rest of their lives until that amount is reached.

Good. It couldn't happen to a more deserving collection of trash.

The two Virginia State Troopers who lost their lives that day, get lost in the narrative. The crowd didn’t directly cause the helicopter crash, But like other incidents, if there was no “Unit the Righ” foolishness they would not have been there.

I don't understand why these white supremist militia groups involved with this Unite the Right movement aren't legally dealt with and eventually shut down after their violent 2017 rally participation in Charlottesville, Virginia?

Militias[edit]

Numerous armed, right-wing militia groups were present at the rally, claiming to be there to protect the First Amendment rights of the demonstrators. Groups involved included the Pennsylvania Light Foot Militia,[96] the New York Light Foot Militia,[97] the Virginia Minutemen Militia,[98] and the 3 Percenters.[99]

I don't understand why these white supremist militia groups involved with this Unite the Right movement aren't legally dealt with and eventually shut down after their violent 2017 rally participation in Charlottesville, Virginia?

Militias[edit]

Numerous armed, right-wing militia groups were present at the rally, claiming to be there to protect the First Amendment rights of the demonstrators. Groups involved included the Pennsylvania Light Foot Militia,[96] the New York Light Foot Militia,[97] the Virginia Minutemen Militia,[98] and the 3 Percenters.[99]
You can't shut down ideology or POVS nor should ideas be shut down. But at least the scumbags kept their hatred to the Internet for the most part. Now they've been emboldened and feel like they can bring it into the main stream.

A jury has awarded more than $26 million in damages . . .

Good luck trying to collect damages from those fascist bigots. At least there's some sort victory.

Last edited:

Militias[edit]

The Southern Poverty Law Center has been bankrupting hate groups for decades.

Couldn't happen to a better bunch of assholes. However, as others have said, good luck collecting the money from them.

Back
Top Bottom