• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jury Duty: Service or Servitude??

Oh, interesting! (I obviously didn't click on the second link.) I'll bet one of the reasons it WAS dismissed was the likelihood that the cure would be worse than the disease. Ha!

That is most likely the true motivation. In all honesty, the judge probably wanted to kick that idiot prosecutor int he heat for putting her in an impossible situation.

Not because the man was being prosecuted unjustly, of course, but because such a case would put before a jury the concept of jury nullification -- something which has never been done in our nation's history. From the first link:

Mr. Heicklen, who could face a six-month sentence if convicted, has asked for a jury trial. Ms. Mermelstein, opposing that demand, cited as one reason Mr. Heicklen’s ardent stance that juries should nullify. He would probably “urge a jury to do so in a case against him,” she wrote.

I'm sure you're familliar with the history of nullification, but I figured maybe others are not. :)

Back
Top Bottom